fredi

Need extreme help with dv lottar 2013

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello to All,

I have been selected for dv lottery 2013 but I am facing a problem with the application form ds-230.

I have been married for 7 years to a man who has two children with his previous marriage. His children never accepted our marriage and they don’t talk to me at all moreover I never met them because they always continue to refuse to meet me.

Anyway, I applied for dv lottery 2013 and since I did not have any of my husband’s children pictures I could not list them in the entry application form. They never provide us with any pictures required for the ID card and I did not have choice but not to list them in order that the online application system would allow me to complete the entry.

Now as a fisrt applicant I am filling out the ds-230 form and I don’t know what to do. If I list them now I know I will be disqualified. If I don’t my husband and me have to show at the interview day that my husband have two children from his first marriage and we will be again disqualified. Please, anyone who could help me how to proceed further with my application that I dont want to lose this chance just because of some issues that are not on my hands.

Thank you a lot.

Edited by fredi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

How old are the chldren, if they are adults they can't come based on your DV lottery. I don't remember the form in exactly. does it specifically ask for your chldren ? What age where they when you married. If they were over 18 they were not even your stepchildren as far as immigrartion is concerned.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

How old are the chldren, if they are adults they can't come based on your DV lottery. I don't remember the form in exactly. does it specifically ask for your chldren ? What age where they when you married. If they were over 18 they were not even your stepchildren as far as immigrartion is concerned.

When we got married they were young. The first child is 22 years old and the second is 18 years old, now.

The form asks for any children under age 21(yours, spous, adapted)

Edited by fredi

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

When we got married they were young. The first child is 22 years old and the second is 18 years old, now.

The form asks for any children under age 21(yours, spous, adapted)

I can't see where the form says to list your step-children. Item 29 asks for ALL children, but it would be my understanding that they ask about your own children.

I'm not familiar with the DV process, but I expect that your husband (if he is immigrating with you) will have to fill out his own DS-230 as well. Now, he MUST list his children on his DS-230 but should indicate in 31a. and 31b. that they will not accompany him to the US now or at the later date.

As these children were never intended to be a part of an immigration process and therefore were not included on DV application, that's what you will have tell the IO at the interview if asked about it.

Timeline

The 22 year old is too old, the younger one, There are 2 parts to being a step parent, one is marrying the parent of a chld that isn't yours while that child is still a monor, the other is taking on the role of parent. You only did the first part. I would proceed without mention of either child as stepchildren, you may want to attach a sheet explaining that although you married a man that has children before you were married because of estrangement you never had a position of step parent nor bonded with these chilodren and do not consider these children yours for purposes of family unit nor immigration. Also explain that the strangement is so deep that you do not even have access to a photo to document them as your spouses children. Many people have produced offsrping that they can't produce a current photo of. Immigration is all about honesty.

I can't see where the form says to list your step-children. Item 29 asks for ALL children, but it would be my understanding that they ask about your own children.

I'm not familiar with the DV process, but I expect that your husband (if he is immigrating with you) will have to fill out his own DS-230 as well. Now, he MUST list his children on his DS-230 but should indicate in 31a. and 31b. that they will not accompany him to the US now or at the later date.

As these children were never intended to be a part of an immigration process and therefore were not included on DV application, that's what you will have tell the IO at the interview if asked about it.

Thank you a lot for the answer.

My concern is that since i did not listed them at the entry application now listing them at my husband's form DS-230 ( the form that I need to send to KCC for visa scheduling appoinment) it may cause us disqualification.

The 22 year old is too old, the younger one, There are 2 parts to being a step parent, one is marrying the parent of a chld that isn't yours while that child is still a monor, the other is taking on the role of parent. You only did the first part. I would proceed without mention of either child as stepchildren, you may want to attach a sheet explaining that although you married a man that has children before you were married because of estrangement you never had a position of step parent nor bonded with these chilodren and do not consider these children yours for purposes of family unit nor immigration. Also explain that the strangement is so deep that you do not even have access to a photo to document them as your spouses children. Many people have produced offsrping that they can't produce a current photo of. Immigration is all about honesty.

THANK A LOT.

You mean when I send the form DS-230 to KCC to attach an additional letter of explanation why i could not list them at the entry application.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i seem to remember on the ds-230 ,

where you list in two seperate places:

--names of the children and

--names of those intending to immigrate.

so if you list the children in the first one, and 'none' in the second one, i think you'll be ok.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

THANK A LOT.

You mean when I send the form DS-230 to KCC to attach an additional letter of explanation why i could not list them at the entry application.

Yes The difference will come up some time. If you tackle it head on then you are more apt to be successfull. If they stumble into the truth then they assume you are trying to be sneaky. Almost all forms in their instructions say that if the space provided isn't sufficient then to attach an extra sheet. Mark it-- Attachment to form XXXX for case number XXXXXXXXXXXXXX respond to XXXXX if you need it for more than one space clearly mark which question each data is for. If the form it is from has signatures at each sheet then sign the sttachement also.

Edited by NigeriaorBust

Timeline

THANK A LOT.

I wouldn't attach anything not specifically asked for. You will have an opportunity to explain everything at the interview, and only if specifically asked about it.

Although you should always provide full and truthful answers to questions plus any required documentation, you're under no obligation to volunteer information if not asked for it.

Yes The difference will come up some time. If you tackle it head on then you are more apt to be successfull. If they stumble into the truth then they assume you are trying to be sneaky. Almost all forms in their instructions say that if the space provided isn't sufficient then to attach an extra sheet. Mark it-- Attachment to form XXXX for case number XXXXXXXXXXXXXX respond to XXXXX if you need it for more than one space clearly mark which question each data is for. If the form it is from has signatures at each sheet then sign the sttachement also.

I personally don't agree with "front-loading" any applications, unless the OP will have their interview at a very difficult consulate. But it is your call.

Which consulate you will go through?

Edited by Tygrys

i seem to remember on the ds-230 ,

where you list in two seperate places:

--names of the children and

--names of those intending to immigrate.

so if you list the children in the first one, and 'none' in the second one, i think you'll be ok.

Thanks!

Does this may affect not being scheduled for the appoinment visa if I list them now which I did not have listed them on the online application entry.

Here I am very confused

Timeline

Thanks!

Does this may affect not being scheduled for the appoinment visa if I list them now which I did not have listed them on the online application entry.

Here I am very confused

Not likely. You will be scheduled for an interview. Which consulate?

Just for calrification what I found online regarding to my case

A: On your entry you must list your spouse, that is husband or wife, and all unmarried children under 21 years of age, with the exception of a child who is already a U.S. citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident. You must list your spouse even if you are currently separated from him/her. However, if you are legally divorced, you do not need to list your former spouse. For customary marriages, the important date is the date of the original marriage ceremony, not the date on which the marriage is registered. You must list ALL your children who are unmarried and under 21 years of age, whether they are your natural children, your spouse's children by a previous marriage, or children you have formally adopted in accordance with the laws of your country, unless a child is already a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident. List all children under 21 years of age even if they no longer reside with you or you do not intend for them to immigrate under the DV program.

The fact that you have listed family members on your entry does not mean that they later must travel with you. They may choose to remain behind. However, if you include an eligible dependent on your visa application forms that you failed to include on your original entry, your case will be disqualified. (This only applies to persons who were dependents at the time the original application was submitted, not those acquired at a later date.) Your spouse may still submit a separate entry, even though he or she is listed on your entry, as long as both entries include details on all dependents in your family.

Edited by fredi

Timeline

Just for calrification what I found online regarding to my case

A: On your entry you must list your spouse, that is husband or wife, and all unmarried children under 21 years of age, with the exception of a child who is already a U.S. citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident. You must list your spouse even if you are currently separated from him/her. However, if you are legally divorced, you do not need to list your former spouse. For customary marriages, the important date is the date of the original marriage ceremony, not the date on which the marriage is registered. You must list ALL your children who are unmarried and under 21 years of age, whether they are your natural children, your spouse's children by a previous marriage, or children you have formally adopted in accordance with the laws of your country, unless a child is already a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident. List all children under 21 years of age even if they no longer reside with you or you do not intend for them to immigrate under the DV program.

The fact that you have listed family members on your entry does not mean that they later must travel with you. They may choose to remain behind. However, if you include an eligible dependent on your visa application forms that you failed to include on your original entry, your case will be disqualified. (This only applies to persons who were dependents at the time the original application was submitted, not those acquired at a later date.) Your spouse may still submit a separate entry, even though he or she is listed on your entry, as long as both entries include details on all dependents in your family.

Ouch, this sucks!

Unfortunately, I don't have any further advise for you. I would list the children now as required and hope for the best.

I still think you will have your interview scheduled and they will give you an opportunity to explain this discrepancy.

Good luck!

Edited by Tygrys

Timeline

If she lists the children now and explains the estrangement and lack of photos she will early on get an idea of what is going to happen. Also they must fill out biographic data and present divorce papers ( assuming he married the mother of the children ) . If it is going to be an issue it is better to find out now than to pay for medicals and visa fees for both of them then be denied. Not everyone has thousands of dollors to spend hoping no one will ask ( the chances of it not coming up are near zero ) They will be asked about children , they must accurately fill out the bio forms. With immigration it is best to confront red flags rather than to bury your head in the sand and hop no one notices your butt pointing skyward.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.