Jen and Mikey

Border Crossing question

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So I was thinking for the past couple days on if this will matter or if it will come back and eventually bite me in the butt.

I'm Canadian, my parents are also Canadian, but got transferred to KY 10 years ago for work. My fiance is also from KY. When I travel down there, I obviously always get the questions where are you going, etc etc. I always for the sake of not wanting issues at the border (had them in the past) tell the guard I'm going to see my parents and don't mention my now fiance. It's not really a lie, but it's not the whole truth.

So I'm wondering if when it comes time for my portion of the K1, will the embassy have notes from my passport saying that I have only visited my family... does that stuff show up on a passport scan? or should I start telling the whole truth just so it's documented?

I know it's silly and I'm sure I'm not the only one who becomes a nervous wreck crossing the border. Still after 10+ years of crossing the border religiously I still tremble at the idea hahaha

thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not a K-1 process / procedure. Moved to the Canada forums.

When they scan your passport they type information into your DHS files. US embassy has access to this but you are over thinking it.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not a K-1 process / procedure. Moved to the Canada forums.

When they scan your passport they type information into your DHS files. US embassy has access to this but you are over thinking it.

ahhh i was gonna put it here.... but i wasn't sure.....

as for the over thinking it portion.... I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't bite me in the future...

Edited by Jen and Mikey

Timeline

ahhh i was gonna put it here.... but i wasn't sure.....

as for the over thinking it portion.... I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't bite me in the future...

only bites you if you are denied entry and you sign papers about that.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Do you see your parents each time you've gone down? Whether your primary reason is to visit just parents or fiance and parents I think you're just fine. So start mention you're visiting him from now on, you'll feel better about it, right?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I'll tell you what I told my kids growing up. There is lying by commission and by omission. Both are lying.

You consciously omitted the fact that you had a fiancé in the US "for the sake of not wanting issues at the border (had them in the past)". I understand your reasoning and would likely do the same thing, I'm not judging you just sharing my thoughts on what is considered a lie.

My suggestion is "start telling the whole truth".

Good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

you know I went through months of being pulled over and grilled every time I went to visit my husband. I finally got a new passport with my married name and they didn't seem to connect the two - the old and the new. So, I started saying I was going to two towns, visiting my brother and sister-in-law (and my husband) they never let you say a whole lot so it just never got tacked on. Now I just say I'm going to the two towns and visiting my family. They're happy with that and I no longer have racing heart and fear when I pass. It is omission - but I cross and Lewiston and they had been so bad in the past that I NEVER want to get grilled again. I do; however, carry full "ties to Canada" binder with me fully updated every time.

The guys at Lewiston are just down right cruel. I am doing nothing wrong in followiing full proper immigration process. I refuse to put myself through that grilling any more.

One day at a time and pray like crazy!

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Lewiston sucks!! I always cross at the Peace Bridge. I agree with Udella. And I wouldn't worry about it, either. You're visiting your parents and you're returning to Canada. You've not done anything illegal.

Hear Ye Hear Ye.....Lewiston is horrible for traffic, for line ups, for everything! I find it so much easier to use the Peace Bridge.

Yah, the officers ask questions but they have too. I've never been grilled and I've been doing the regular crossing bit since 2004 and never ever had any problems....and coming home is a breeze too!

Timeline

Lewiston sucks!! I always cross at the Peace Bridge. I agree with Udella. And I wouldn't worry about it, either. You're visiting your parents and you're returning to Canada. You've not done anything illegal.

Totally agree, on all points! I've never had an issue at the Peace Bridge.

Really, the consulate is most likely not going to research your crossings any further than what you tell them. It would be insane for them to do that for all the people they cycle through in the year. You never lied, you were visiting family. Honestly, how many of us have been guilty by ommission at the border? I certainly have.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.