yvonnela

non-legal ceremony before K-1 interview.

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We held a non-legal wedding ceremony last month in the USA before the K-1 interview. The process got delayed when some paperwork went missing, so we will legally marry after he has the visa.

My fiancé's interview is next week in London and I want to ask for opinions on how best to communicate this without confusion. From what I've read I'm pretty sure that so long as we're unmarried it is fine, so what do we say to the Immigration Officer. I thought it might be best to say nothing at all but my fiancé pointed out that you can google our names and the registry will pop up in the results.

What do you think?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We held a non-legal wedding ceremony last month in the USA before the K-1 interview. The process got delayed when some paperwork went missing, so we will legally marry after he has the visa.

My fiancé's interview is next week in London and I want to ask for opinions on how best to communicate this without confusion. From what I've read I'm pretty sure that so long as we're unmarried it is fine, so what do we say to the Immigration Officer. I thought it might be best to say nothing at all but my fiancé pointed out that you can google our names and the registry will pop up in the results.

What do you think?

Don't bring it up, but if asked, tell the truth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

What do you think?

Do not say anything about it. It is my understanding that London does not even ask for proof of relationship, so they most likely will not know about it, and not ask about it. No reason for you to bring it up to them. As was said above, if they do happen to ask, then just answer honestly about it then.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You're engaged so having a registry is not unusual. As the others said don't bring it up but if asked be honest. Something like you thought you'd be done sooner so set up a reception and then just had a non-legally binding ceremony since you didn't want to cancel, lose vendor deposits, etc. I'm sure you're not the first to do this and won't be the last. I may very well find myself in the same situation if my fiance's passport, birth certificate, and police records take much longer.

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

9/19/11: I-129F Sent

9/22/11: I-129F NOA1

2/8/12: I-129F RFE

3/5/12: I-129F RFE Reply Sent

(RFE details can be found here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/365210-rfe-primary-vs-secondary-evidence-feed-back-please/)

3/14/12: I-129F NOA2 (Approved!)

3/20/12: NVC Received Petition

3/29/12: Petition Left NVC

4/19/12: Consulate Received Petition

4/30/12: Packet 3 Notification Received by Petitioner in US

5/11/12: Packet 3 Received by Beneficiary in Canada

5/28/12: Packet 3 Returned via DHL

6/5/12: Packet 3 Received by Consulate, said they'd emailed Packet 4 (haven't received)

8/2/12: Consulate Interview at Montreal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.