Darkmoonfaerie

Timeframe Question

12 posts in this topic

We're hoping for a late June/Early July NOA2. If things go as planned and we get NOA2 around then, would it be ok for Alan to book 2 weeks here in the US for Late July/Early August? I'm not asking about being turned away, cause we know all those risks. I'm asking time frame for medical/interview. I think I've seen that it takes about a month for London to send his stuff and have him ready for his medical. It would be great if we could squeeze in one more trip before the move. His ex will have the kids for 2 weeks so we'd actually get to spend some time where it's just us. He found flights through Dublin so won't have to deal with POE in Boston. Anyone who's more familiar with the time frame have thoughts on this?

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Initially filed for K1 visa - Feb 23 2012

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we've abandoned this application

We married on Aug 24, 2013 in a small ceremony in MA

We'll be applying for a CR1 / IR1 visa as soon as we are able

Watch this space for updates!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Is this when you plan on him getting an interview and visa approval? The time lines for the USCIS are merely estimates and you can't count on them. No one should make travel arrangements or leave employment or give up the place he lives, until his visa is actually in hand. You never know what will happens at the consulate level, they advise to NOT make any plans until you have the visa in your hand.

I stated in my original post that this is for a two week vacation. We have no intentions of making travel plans for the move until after visa is in hand. I asked this in the UK forum because the people here are familiar with the timing and processes in London.

Just in case is wasn't clear in my first post, we have NOA1. We're hoping for NOA2 June/July. He's hoping to visit for 2 weeks at the end of July/first week of August before his medical and interview. We're just asking if that seems like it would fit with the time frame that London operates on.

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Is this when you plan on him getting an interview and visa approval? The time lines for the USCIS are merely estimates and you can't count on them. No one should make travel arrangements or leave employment or give up the place he lives, until his visa is actually in hand. You never know what will happens at the consulate level, they advise to NOT make any plans until you have the visa in your hand.

I am the person in question that is planning to travel. The post asks about me taking a holiday and not being out of the UK for the duration that I may be contacted by the embassy. We are under no illusions regarding organising travel to the US, as I also have my children to organise for the move too. I would be very grateful to people who are able to help specifically with the issue that was raised regarding the London embassy in the United Kingdom.

Hi

I am nowhere near an expert, but based our recent experience (we are doing a different visa so not exactly the same) I think you should be okay.

If you get your NOA2 in late June, at the rate it currently seems to be going, it will take you a month or more to get through the NVC stage. So, if you are finished at the NVC by late July your interview could be scheduled early August, for September. We just got our Case Complete on May 8 and are hoping for a June interview, but not sure at this point.

After you get your interview date you will have to get your medical (not sure if that's required for K-1), but should have time. Be sure you keep up with the NVC stage whilst you are in USA, by having your forms ready, your original documents and a copy of each, checking your email, calling NVC, and paying online as soon as the invoice appears and you can get through the NVC pretty well. There are lots of posts on here about this process and how to keep on top of it.

Of course, no guarantees on any of this. :)

Good luck!

Edited by tobytyke23

Timeline

Hi

I am nowhere near an expert, but based our recent experience (we are doing a different visa so not exactly the same) I think you should be okay.

If you get your NOA2 in late June, at the rate it currently seems to be going, it will take you a month or more to get through the NVC stage. So, if you are finished at the NVC by late July your interview could be scheduled early August, for September. We just got our Case Complete on May 8 and are hoping for a June interview, but not sure at this point.

After you get your interview date you will have to get your medical (not sure if that's required for K-1), but should have time. Be sure you keep up with the NVC stage whilst you are in USA, by having your forms ready, your original documents and a copy of each, checking your email, calling NVC, and paying online as soon as the invoice appears and you can get through the NVC pretty well. There are lots of posts on here about this process and how to keep on top of it.

Of course, no guarantees on any of this. :)

Good luck!

Thank you for the help. That is much as I had hoped things to be and I will definitely keep on top of any developments while visiting for the 2 week period. This trip also helps because it means I can bring paperwork back with me to the UK that will be needed for the interview stage.

Anyone who's more familiar with the time frame have thoughts on this?

I am the person in question that is planning to travel. The post asks about me taking a holiday and not being out of the UK for the duration that I may be contacted by the embassy. We are under no illusions regarding organising travel to the US, as I also have my children to organise for the move too. I would be very grateful to people who are able to help specifically with the issue that was raised regarding the London embassy in the United Kingdom.

Hey Meg and Alan! ::waving::

Add 4 months to your NOA2 to know you timeframe for applying for the visa. So a July 1 approval gives you until November 1 before your approved petition expires. The expiry will be on the NOA2.

While most people are chomping at the bit to rush the London process, you only have to let them hear from you by trickling things in before your expiration. They just need something to keep the process rolling and not figuring you've abandoned your plans.

What you propose sound perfectly fine.

Ideas--

1. Before his holiday, he should go over the documents for interview and make sure he has his birth certificate, divorce decree, police certificate, etc. He should get all the shots needed at his GP. Same for the boys. Then when he goes home he doesn't have to spend time doing those things and delay being ready to interview.
  2. He doesn't need to see his P3 letter from London (if he happens to be on holiday when it arrives). A copy is posted in the K1 sticky at the top of this UK forum.
  3. He can find out if London has his file and is ready by calling DOS in the US. They will know London has sent the letter.
  4. He can fill out the forms in the US and mail to London or wait until he gets home. He can mail them from the UK before he leaves if the NOA2 comes early.
  5. He could call Knightsbridge and make a medical appointment from the US. He can call when he gets back.
  6. He could be done with everything for London (forms, medical) before his holiday if the NOA2 should come super fast. When he mails back the DS-2001 to say he's ready to interview, his cover letter could say "May I request that my interview be scheduled after August 15, as I will be out of the country until that date."

#6 is exactly what we did.

So does that answer you questions??

(Disregard the post from tobytyke about NVC assigning your interview because you won't be processing things with the NVC like CR1 applicants do.)

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Add 4 months to your NOA2 to know you timeframe for applying for the visa. So a July 1 approval gives you until November 1 before your approved petition expires. The expiry will be on the NOA2.

While most people are chomping at the bit to rush the London process, you only have to let them hear from you by trickling things in before your expiration. They just need something to keep the process rolling and not figuring you've abandoned your plans.

Ideas--

1. Before his holiday, he should go over the documents for interview and make sure he has his birth certificate, divorce decree, police certificate, etc. He should get all the shots needed at his GP. Same for the boys. Then when he goes home he doesn't have to spend time doing those things and delay being ready to interview.
  2. He doesn't need to see his P3 letter from London (if he happens to be on holiday when it arrives). A copy is posted in the K1 sticky at the top of this UK forum.
  3. He can find out if London has his file and is ready by calling DOS in the US. They will know London has sent the letter.
  4. He can fill out the forms in the US and mail to London or wait until he gets home. He can mail them from the UK before he leaves if the NOA2 comes early.
  5. He could call Knightsbridge and make a medical appointment from the US. He can call when he gets back.
  6. He could be done with everything for London (forms, medical) before his holiday if the NOA2 should come super fast. When he mails back the DS-2001 to say he's ready to interview, his cover letter could say "May I request that my interview be scheduled after August 15, as I will be out of the country until that date."

(Disregard the post from tobytyke about NVC assigning your interview because you won't be processing things with the NVC like CR1 applicants do.)

nichnick, You Rock :) Meg has kept me informed as to all the help you provide and have provided us. Thank you so much :)

Ideas--

I thought that we scheduled rather than having it scheduled for us but I'm easily confused so figured I'd wait until someone else replied. I do appreciate the advice and link Tobytyke :)

This completely answers our questions Nich-Nick! As usual you have the perfect answer :)

Alan's just booked his trip. We'll have his family keeping an eye out for mail that may come while he's here and we'll figure out where/when to mail and pay for stuff as we have more info on NOA2. It will be great to have a trip where we're not worrying about babysitters and getting late to our movie cause we had to rush to the boys off to my parents after hours at Chuck E Cheese. We love doing those things but haven't had the chance to be "just a couple" for more than a day or two. This will be a nice change of pace for a bit.

Thank you both for the help!

~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Thanks for the correction! I figured there were a few things that were different K-1 vs. IR-1/CR-1.

No problem. It took me two years to know the difference and I still don't know the ins and outs of the NVC process.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.