24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yesterday I have received a notice from USCIS requesting more evidence about financial records. They want copies of joint bank statements, credit card statements, loan statements, and/or any other documents that show marriage was not entered into in order to circumvent US immigration laws. My wife and I don't have joint bank accounts or joint credit cards, so we will go and open joint ones. Can anyone suggest other documents to submit in order to cover joint financial records?

Opening accounts now is fine but will not meet the needs for the I-751

How about insurance; life insurance, medical insurance, car insurance, investments and retirement plans which list you as a beneficiary if something happens. Leases, mortgages

Memebrs in this process need to remember they are not in normal relationships and even if you do not want joint accounts for whatever reason (many US citizen marriewd couples do not) you are no tin a normal relationship and you have to PROVE your relationship to people that do not know you every so often. You will do it again for citizenship and they are even more thorough for that.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Syria
Timeline

Thanks for all the suggetions, I will submit whatever I have from all the docs you suggested. Now my main question is: Do you think opening a joint account now will be too late? The letter is saying the documents have to be from the date of marriage to the "present" date. Did anyone have a similar situation and opened the joint account after receiving RFE?

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for all the suggetions, I will submit whatever I have from all the docs you suggested. Now my main question is: Do you think opening a joint account now will be too late? The letter is saying the documents have to be from the date of marriage to the "present" date. Did anyone have a similar situation and opened the joint account after receiving RFE?

I don't think that will be useful, they want to see co-mingled finances throughout your marriage.

As I said in my previous post, you need to send them the last 3 years of tax transcripts.

Do you have any of the following items?

• Medical cards showing you have joint coverage
  • Driver's licenses showing you both live at the same address (or state ID cards)
  • Car title
  • Mortgage or lease agreement with both of your names on
  • Utility bills/phone bills with both of your names

Timeline

I don't think that will be useful, they want to see co-mingled finances throughout your marriage.

As I said in my previous post, you need to send them the last 3 years of tax transcripts.

Do you have any of the following items?

• Medical cards showing you have joint coverage
  • Driver's licenses showing you both live at the same address (or state ID cards)
  • Car title
  • Mortgage or lease agreement with both of your names on
  • Utility bills/phone bills with both of your names

Yes I did send them the last 3 tax returns (2009-2011), I just went back and checked. I did send all what you have mentioned except the driver's licenses (I can send them), car title (in my name only), and morgage agreement (don't have any).

Timeline

Yes I did send them the last 3 tax returns (2009-2011), I just went back and checked. I did send all what you have mentioned except the driver's licenses (I can send them), car title (in my name only), and morgage agreement (don't have any).

It would have been wise to get the title in both of your names before ROC. I'm not sure how long it would take for you to be able to change it to show both names, it took us about 4 weeks which might be too long for you to wait. You would have to ask how long it takes in your state.

If you don't have a mortgage, do you have a rental agreement?

Timeline

I have sent them the followings:

1. all medical bills that we got charged for our child delivery and another operation she had after delivery.

2. my medical insurance showing her and my son as beneficiaries.

3. a copy of the credit card we have together (I added her as beneficiary) showing the same account number but different names. What upsets me is that they are now requesting credit card statements with both names on it. I called my credit card company and they told me they don't show both names on the statements!

4. last 2 tax returns filed jointly.

5. our child birth certificate.

6. travel itineraries for a couple trips we did together.

Here it says you sent the last 2 years, make sure you sent them 3 years.

You don't need to send medical bills, just a copy of your medical cards showing you have a joint plan.

Did you send copies of your car insurance with both of your names on?

I would definitely send copies of your driver's license showing the same address.

Edited by rocks

Timeline

Here it says you sent the last 2 years, make sure you sent them 3 years.

You don't need to send medical bills, just a copy of your medical cards showing you have a joint plan.

Did you send copies of your car insurance with both of your names on?

I would definitely send copies of your driver's license showing the same address.

Yes definitely I will send them the latest tax return (2011) which I submitted to IRS after I sent the ROC application back in November last year. I have also sent them the rental agreement with both our names on it. The car insurance is another thing I can send. I will also ask my corporate for a letter stating that my wife and kid are the beneficiaries of my benefits (life insurance, disability, etc..).

Yes definitely I will send them the latest tax return (2011) which I submitted to IRS after I sent the ROC application back in November last year. I have also sent them the rental agreement with both our names on it. The car insurance is another thing I can send. I will also ask my corporate for a letter stating that my wife and kid are the beneficiaries of my benefits (life insurance, disability, etc..).

It may be a good idea to explain in your letter why you don't have a joint bank account, if you have a really good reason. I know some couples who are both American don't have them because they don't believe in them, but they have the advantage of both being citizens, unfortunately. Everyone else is expected to co-mingle.

You have some good advice from others. I hope your RFE is resolved and you can move on quickly.

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Timeline

I would definitely include anything you can think of with both of your names on. I even sent copies of our Sam's Club cards with the same member numbers on. Send anything you can think of that you both have your names on. Lisa and Ian suggest that you could send a letter explaining why you didn't open a joint account, this might be a good idea too. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.