14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone we are new to this forum. We have read many of the topics and they have been of great interest to us. Up until this point our immigration process has been quite smooth. We sent in all the required forms for adjustment of status after we were married March 2006. Within a month my husband received notification to go for his biometrics and was told at that time his work permit would be arriving in 2 weeks. He received his work permit in 3 weeks but whats a week to wait!!!! Our next interview was for AOS in Aug 2006, we had a tote bag full of all the documents, pictures, and papers they were requiring us to have. We went into the interview feeling good as things had been moving so smoothly, i should have figured there was going to be a catch seeing as we are dealing with the goverment. We were called into the immigration office and the officer asked us a few general questions. He asked to see our drivers licenses and thats was all!!!!! He asked how we met and we proceeded to tell him, for some reason he had a problem with the fact we havent been married very long. When i asked him about looking at the evidence of our relationship and photos he had no interest. He told me he doesnt look at photos as they can be staged, and he told me that he didnt think we had enough common life documents since we had only been married 6 months. He did decide to interview us seperately, he had my husband leave and interviewed me first. When we were done i asked him what happens next, and he told us he didnt know, which i found strange seeing as he is the one who should know this information. He didnt approve or deny my husbands AOS but he asked us to send in within a month common life documents and a letter of how we met ect. So we copied all those documents and sent in photos like they asked. Three weeks after sending the packet in to our local office which is in Milwaukee Wi, we received another letter for an AOS interview. They want us to bring common life documents and all original marriage, birth, divorce papers. It says on the the letter that this interview will be video taped. Needless to say we are nervous but do have all the required documents they want. We are just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and or why are they going to video tape us. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

garyandmarylou

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

It's called a Stokes interview. At present there's a question to the validity of the marriage. You'll be interviewed separately again. Read up on this type of interview so you can be prepared for it.

Thanks so much for your reply. We appreciate it loads.

It's called a Stokes interview. At present there's a question to the validity of the marriage. You'll be interviewed separately again. Read up on this type of interview so you can be prepared for it.

Thanks so much for your reply. We appreciate it loads.

the more im reading about the Stokes interview im getting more nervous. :unsure: But i know we have the documents they want, guess its just the uncertainty of what we will be asked.

Good luck, folks. Do you have everything you possibly could? My husband and I had been married 5 months when we had our AOS interview and we had 5 months of electric bills, 5 months of joint cell phone bills, car insurance dating back 5 months, our lease dating back 5 months, our joint health insurance cards, all our wedding/engagement cards, and so on. We had a big folder full of documents despite only being married 5 months.

I would say that this might be the time to consider consulting a lawyer if you haven't already, especially if anything about your marriage might make the marriage suspicious, like one of you being much older than the other (especially if the USC is older).

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

i'm sorry to hear you're getting such a run around. it seems fishy to me that they would try and use the excuse that you haven't been married very long. after all...you've complied with the law and followed *their* rules.

anyway, i hope things turn out alright for the two of you. it seems like there are a lot of blokes from NI being singled out these days.

my husband is from Armagh, by the way. :)

Edited by dani_christine

f35qw2.gif

f35qif.gif

Click here to view our webpage!

jt179g.jpg

AOS Approved!! icon_woohoo.gif

Apply to remove conditions August 13, 2008!

Click here for our complete Immigration Timeline

2uhvevm.gif

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."--Author Unknown

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Good luck! I hope everything works out for you! Either the first interviewer was just bad tempered or there was a fact he thought was suspicious.

Read about the second interviews and better learn your spouse's greatgrandfather's name by heart. I read some articles that they ask a lot about family names and how your apartment looks like. That should be easy, but names and dates are hard for men ;)

don't be too nervous because you don;t have anything to hide!

Anna

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I’m sure an AOS interview alone is bad enough without having a second interview. Gather up a all the documents they are asking for, I’m sure they cant argue with joint bank accounts, lease/mortgage agreements, joint and separate household bills.. Electric, gas, telephone, internet.. car insurance & registration, auto loans, original birth certificates/passports, marriage certificate.. etc I’d bring the pictures too even if they don’t want to seem them.

We have our AOS interview coming up shortly and that’s some of the stuff I can think of the top of my head that we’re bringing with us. Being in a genuine relationship and having nothing to cover-up or hide, I’m sure all will turn out well in the end! :yes:

Good Luck to both of ye! :D

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

i'm sorry to hear you're getting such a run around. it seems fishy to me that they would try and use the excuse that you haven't been married very long. after all...you've complied with the law and followed *their* rules.

anyway, i hope things turn out alright for the two of you. it seems like there are a lot of blokes from NI being singled out these days.

Well the officer we had wasnt very friendly and to say the least he had very poor english as well. We felt the same way when he said you havent been married very long, we filed our papers asap so we werent breaking the law. We have joint checking, savings, cd accounts, home equity loan, utitlity bills, credit cards, health insurance cards, car titles, and i owned our home before we got married and my husbands name is also on that as well. I have loads of photo albums with photos of us. His parents and sister were just here in sept for holiday so having those photos to show im sure will help as well. We did consulate a lawyer when we were filling out out papers to make sure we had everything we needed, we think we are going to contact him again just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your good wishes we appreciate it :)

I’m sure an AOS interview alone is bad enough without having a second interview. Gather up a all the documents they are asking for, I’m sure they cant argue with joint bank accounts, lease/mortgage agreements, joint and separate household bills.. Electric, gas, telephone, internet.. car insurance & registration, auto loans, original birth certificates/passports, marriage certificate.. etc I’d bring the pictures too even if they don’t want to seem them.

We have our AOS interview coming up shortly and that’s some of the stuff I can think of the top of my head that we’re bringing with us. Being in a genuine relationship and having nothing to cover-up or hide, I’m sure all will turn out well in the end! :yes:

Good Luck to both of ye! :D

Best wishes to you both on your AOS interview!! I do understand they have to be cautious because of fraud marriages. But we have a "real" marriage and nothing to hide.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Armagh, we are going to be in Portadown for Christmas. My Brother-in-law and his wife live there.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

and my brother-in-law just returned from an extended visit to scotland. :)

f35qw2.gif

f35qif.gif

Click here to view our webpage!

jt179g.jpg

AOS Approved!! icon_woohoo.gif

Apply to remove conditions August 13, 2008!

Click here for our complete Immigration Timeline

2uhvevm.gif

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."--Author Unknown

Hi Dani

My husband is from Antrim town, the first time he was in america we met a fella that grew up 20 mile from him!!! Such a small world :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.