tropicalriot

Re-Applying for a Tourst Visa

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I first applied for a tourist visa in 2010 and I got denied. I was 25 y/o then, was working for a resort (2nd year at that time) and I applied with my mom. She was going to pay for the trip, if she wasn't I don't think I would've applied. Like I mentioned, I was denied and the consul asked me only one question: "Who is paying for the trip?" She said that at 25 years old, I should be able to support myself for a trip to the US, blah blah blah. :blink:

I'm planning to reapply this August/September. I'm now 27 years old, still single and I've left my job at the resort shortly after the interview and began working on my dad's PR company. I also started my own writing company to be legally registered in 2 weeks. I'm only planning to stay in the US for 3 weeks for my cousin's birthday and Thanksgiving. I'm paying for my own trip but one of my problems is that most of my money I have in cash on hand. I do have two bank accounts with money but I generally distrust financial institutions so I prefer to keep my money close to me. If I deposit my money, I'm afraid it will also look suspicious to the consul.

Anyway, my question is, do I have better chances now? I'm having doubts on my chances tbh because my age, country of origin (Philippines) and marital status are automatic red flags. Plus I've already applied once before and got denied. Any advice on how to increase my chances for approval? I've only been to HK twice, Singapore once and Thailand once. I'm planning to take another trip to Singapore this December for business and South Korea on February with my family, would it be helpful to bring a copy of my plane ticket and itinerary to the interview to show that I have plans to leave the US when my trip is over? :help:

Thanks for the help, guise! :D

Edited by tropicalriot

Hard to say...sounds like you have short term employement with dad's company, another business that has yet to become established, and assets you don't have a way of showing...remember, why you want to go is not relevant...the VOs will want to be 101% convinced as to why you would return...and with a job you barely started and a business that is more on paper than up and running successfully, I don't see strong enough reasons for you to return. But that's just MHO.

Airline tickets have absolutely no power over anyone...those tickets cannot force you to depart the US...if tickets had such power, no one would overstay who came from a country that did not border ours.

Edited by Noah Lot

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Let us know how it goes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

OP: It's hard to say as only the VO can make that decision. You seem to have good ties, and if you can prove them, I'd say you stand a fairly good chance. Ability to show previously held visas to other countries can also be a plus.

Airline tickets have absolutely no power over anyone...those tickets cannot force you to depart the US...if tickets had such power, no one would overstay who came from a country that did not border ours.

Good point. Plus, a round trip ticket is often cheaper or equal in price to a one-way, so it's not like it's a big economic loss not to use them.

Edited by jaejayC

Thank you for the replies!

I feel very nervous even if it's still 3-4 months away. I do try to visualize a positive result as often as I can though so that I won't be shaking and cracking during the interview. I've reduced my plan of staying for three weeks to just one week, 10 days max because I don't feel comfortable about being away from the action in terms of work for too long. Plus I have a puppy I'm really attached to and I'll just end up thinking so much about her anyway.

Speaking of puppies, I have this funny anecdote from a family friend's visa application. She was denied maybe 4 or 5 times in the past for a tourist visa but she just kept on applying and the last time she applied, when the consul asked something like why wouldn't she go to the US and stay there and she showed pictures of her dogs. I guess the consul being a dog person took that leap of faith with her. On paper she has good ties, properties, kids, a steady business but for some reason she just kept on getting denied. On that occasion though her dogs helped seal the deal for her and she had a splendid time in the US.

I was kind of jealous actually but after over $500 in visa application fees, I'm happy for her. I don't think I'll try again if I get denied this year, I can take a hint. The world still has other amazing countries to travel to. If I can't visit my cousin in the US, I might take up my aunt's offer to visit the Netherlands. Traveling is such a joy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have another question related to the application form.

Should I put my work in my dad's company (been working there for almost 2 years) on the employment page or is it better to instead mention my writing company which I started around the same time my dad started his but was just recently registered and licensed?

Thanks again for the advice!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If you work in both, put both.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.