filipinalover

i need an expert advice

57 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

They asked for my divorce decree.i had it photocopied, but they also took the authenticated one, with the seal from the state. and oddly, parent's advice eventhough I am already 25 years old. there were other ladies who had the same situation as well and never actually filed a court case.

July 09 2011- form I-129f sent by mail.

July 12 2001-received by the USCIS Dallas,got an email,forwarded to Vermont service center.

July 15 2011- NOA1 received. (I-797C)

July 20 2011- touched

March 16 2012- NOA2 Approved.(no RFE,crazy huh?)

March 21 2012- NOA2 (Hardcopy)

March 21 2012- Case# assigned. petition forwarded to US EMBASSY MANILA

April 2 2012- eligibility letter received.

April 17 2012-Medical appointment-PASSED!

April 27 2012- Interview PASSED!

MAY 10 2012- VISA ISSUED

MAY 26- POE-(DTW) (to ORF)

June 10 2012- WEDDING! :)

July 24 2012- AOS sent

August 1 2012 - NOA1 received by text

August 4 2012 - biometrics appointment letter received

August 9,2012 -Biometrics done!

September 27,2012-EAD & AP approved!

December 11,2012 -AOS interview date

December 21, 2012 -Greencard received!

Filed: Other Timeline

They asked for my divorce decree.i had it photocopied, but they also took the authenticated one, with the seal from the state. and oddly, parent's advice eventhough I am already 25 years old. there were other ladies who had the same situation as well and never actually filed a court case.

this is the answer im waiting hehe

so even i dont file for petition the CFO will still let me have the sticker for clearance?

but since i am on my way of processing my petition i guess i will still do it in case the embassy will look for finality of the court

thank you so much for your reply :)

so now i have idea your a heaven sent LOL

Edited by filipinalover

Timeline

this is the answer im waiting hehe

so even i dont file for petition the CFO will still let me have the sticker for clearance?

but since i am on my way of processing my petition i guess i will still do it in case the embassy will look for finality of the court

thank you so much for your reply :)

so now i have idea your a heaven sent LOL

Yes.. for your peace of mind,file it,so you can report your marriage in the future, your choice though. most of the ladies here who had experienced the same,did not file recognition so they are only married in the US. I thank those who had helped me and gave me advice and told me about their experiences, for I was like you before we filed, we had all the worries we don't even need. Goodluck! if you need help pm me.

July 12 2001-received by the USCIS Dallas,got an email,forwarded to Vermont service center.

July 20 2011- touched

MAY 10 2012- VISA ISSUED

July 24 2012- AOS sent

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Which CFO location did you use?

I'm asking because all previous reports about CFO and foreign divorces had them requiring an amended CEMAR or proof of Judicial Recognition of the Divorce. It would be good news for many if they have changed their policy.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is my advice, why don't you try going to DFA and have your passport's family name changed. You will have to bring your marriage contract, the divorce decree and the death certificate. From there, people from the DFA will tell you if these documents are enough to change your family name. If not, they will advise you to do the legal remedy. You can start from there. If they will advise you to file a judicial recognition, then its time for you to secure the services of a lawyer. Just my opinion, as I am working in a family court that handles annulment and judicial recognition cases.

Yahm,

You are aware of the CFO requirement for Exit Clearance, right? How to you plan to secure that if you're still legally married to your ex-husband in the Philippines?

It is generally agreed that the US Embassy will issue a K-1 Visa to a Filipino who is divorced even if that divorce isn't recognized by the Philippine Government as the US Government recognizes the divorce, the problem is getting CFO Exit Clearance which is required to clear Philippine Immigration in order to leave the Philippines.

How can you still be married to a dead person?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Exactly.

May not be "the" widow, but he is still dead. Death certificate should do it.

Yes, a certified death certificate from the county/city and also authenticated by the US Consulate or Embassy having jurisdiction over the area. A newspaper copy of the obituary notice thrown in for good measure wouldn't hurt.

That still does not clear her from an un-recognized divorce, only complicates matters as now she is a widow in the eyes of the PI.

Chances are that a certified and authenticated death certificate by the Philippine and US Consulates serving the area will be her best argurment in RTC.

Unfortunately, Philippines is not a "do it yourself" country. Attorneys and money need to be involved to get things done.

It will still have to clear the NSO, the only authority who can correct her CENOMAR to show singleness which will be demanded by CFO and US Ebmassy.

Filed: Country:
Timeline
How can you still be married to a dead person?

My mistake, this is the first time the Ex has been deceased but not the first time someone in the Philippines has had a foreign divorce that hasn't (or can't be) recognized by the Philippine Gov't. She still shouldn't be claiming to be his widow when they were divorced prior to his passing.

It does sound like there is new info on CFO requirements though so it would be nice to hear from anyone else who secured exit clearance from CFO without having their foreign divorce recognized.

It does sound like there is new info on CFO requirements though so it would be nice to hear from anyone else who secured exit clearance from CFO without having their foreign divorce recognized.

I hope others will post their experience with this topic too. :thumbs:

Timeline

I took my seminar at SMEF ,actually they didnt ask for anything except for the passport and visa photocopies, they are not very strict at all. It was me who offered my divorce decree when it was my term to get the counseling.the interviewer asked me to stay for a bit because she wanted me to share my experience about my disastrous marriage. After that,its all done and i got my sticker. I advised everyone to go their with their visa already,for according to them its very rare for them to deny anyone with visa and travel plans already,except of course,under complicated circumstances. I heard PRISM are strict though.

July 20 2011- touched

MAY 10 2012- VISA ISSUED

July 24 2012- AOS sent

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.