ignacio

questions about applying for aos

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi everybody....me and my beautifull wife are applying for aos but are unsure about a couple things maybe somebody can help us.....where can we find her alien registration number (A number)? And with the I-864 do we need to send a letter of employment and resent check stubs along with tax transcripts for the past 3 years? Thanks for any replies

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everybody....me and my beautifull wife are applying for aos but are unsure about a couple things maybe somebody can help us.....where can we find her alien registration number (A number)? And with the I-864 do we need to send a letter of employment and resent check stubs along with tax transcripts for the past 3 years? Thanks for any replies

You can find the A# on her form I-94 that was stapled on her passport.

Letter of employment is not really necessary, but you can include it.

Recent check stubs is also optional.

The most recent tax is required. The last two is optional. But I prefer to send the last 3 years tax return.

Good luck!

Edited by elkhunter

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks elkhunter...1 more question...is a number same number as admission number? Its the only number I see on her I-94....thanks again

It was hand written that says: A 12345678 or look on her visa it says: A#12345678. Still have trouble? Try to look on the gallery on this site. You'll find it there.

You're very much welcome. Hope it helps you.

Edited by elkhunter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The A# in located above the beneficiary's name on the NOA2 approval notice for the I-129F. To prove income you should send the letter from employer and a few months worth of your most recent pay stubs. Only the most recent tax transcript is required, but if it helps prove your ongoing income stability, then you can send all 3 years.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks elkhunter...1 more question...is a number same number as admission number? Its the only number I see on her I-94....thanks again

The A number is also on her visa and on the I-129f APPROVAL notice. Upper right corner.

Most recent year tax return is all that is required plus a statement of gross income for the prvious two years. The more documentation you include, the better.

I included one years tax return, employment letter, bank letter and 3 months paystubs. On the bank letter for the AOS, Alla had already been added to the account and it noted the date we did that.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

It was hand written that says: A 12345678 or look on her visa it says: A#12345678. Still have trouble? Try to look on the gallery on this site. You'll find it there.

You're very much welcome. Hope it helps you.

This isn't always the case--sometimes CBP doesn't write in the A# and sometimes it's not on the visa. It's always on the I-797 (NOA) though.

Timeline

This isn't always the case--sometimes CBP doesn't write in the A# and sometimes it's not on the visa. It's always on the I-797 (NOA) though.

This is mostly true, and why I still tell people it is on their approval notice. However, it is not ALWAYS there. It was not listed on our I-129F approval notice. I am sure it was just some mistaken oversight by the USCIS. My husband(fiance at the time) had to ask the CBP officer at his POE to look up his A# for him. Luckily he was a nice guy and did so without grumbling about it. Wrote it down for my husband on the I-94 and another paper for him so he would have it when he needed it.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

This is mostly true, and why I still tell people it is on their approval notice. However, it is not ALWAYS there. It was not listed on our I-129F approval notice. I am sure it was just some mistaken oversight by the USCIS. My husband(fiance at the time) had to ask the CBP officer at his POE to look up his A# for him. Luckily he was a nice guy and did so without grumbling about it. Wrote it down for my husband on the I-94 and another paper for him so he would have it when he needed it.

That was definitely a mistake by USCIS. Glad you got it figured out.

In any case, it's definitely a mistake to think that it can be found on a visa or I-94 as many do. It may be there, but not necessarily. The reason is that the A# is assigned when you submit a petition that would eventually lead to legal permanent residence or when an adjustment application is submitted, not when a visa is applied for. Non-immigrants never get an A# (also known as an alien registration number) even if they have a visa because they do not obtain an "alien registration" within the meaning of the immigration laws, only legal permanent residents get that.

Edited by grrrrreat

Timeline

That was definitely a mistake by USCIS. Glad you got it figured out.

In any case, it's definitely a mistake to think that it can be found on a visa or I-94 as many do. It may be there, but not necessarily. The reason is that the A# is assigned when you submit a petition that would eventually lead to legal permanent residence or when an adjustment application is submitted, not when a visa is applied for. Non-immigrants never get an A# (also known as an alien registration number) even if they have a visa because they do not obtain an "alien registration" within the meaning of the immigration laws, only legal permanent residents get that.

Exactly. I see a lot people here on VJ answer to look on the I-94 or their visa because it is there. This is not the case for a lot of people entering with a K-1. The CBP officer does not always write the A# on the back of the I-94 at their POE, and a lot of consulates do not print it on the visa either. It can confuse people into thinking their A# is the Admission Number from their I-94.

For a K-1, they should always look to the petition approval notice, right above the beneficiary's name. If it isn't there, it is a mistake and you might need to contact the USCIS about your rare situation. :P

There is an image here in the VJ gallery that shows the location of the A#:

NOA2.jpg

Hey jay-kay.....I just noticed the valid dates u pointed out and ours was from 11/4/11 to 3/3/12....does that mean our A# is no good? Is there smthing we have to do to get new A#? If so, can u please tell us what we need to do. Thanks

No. Once you receive an A#, it's yours for life. It doesn't expire.

Those dates indicate the validity dates of your NOA.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.