Azaella

Wanting to apply for a K1

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Moldova
Timeline

Hello.

I have very recently started to look into the K1 visas and still don't understand some aspects,since many websites have contradictory informatio, so I guess it will be more accurate to ask someone who's been through the process.

I have lived in the United States for a total of 4 years. First tiem, I was there on an exchange student visa in highschool (2006-2007) subject to the 2 year home stay requirement. I returned to my home country - Moldova and finished highschool. I came back in 2008 of a student F1 visa, completed and Associates Degree and got a permit for Optional Practical Training in 2010. I never worked because I didnt find any jobs in the area though. In 2010 I met my SO (American citizen) and we lived together for 13 months. I left the USA to complete my home stay requirement so I can come back in the future and be able to get work visa, or Green card or be able to get married. I now have 3 months left of my home stay requirement. Until now I was going to come back on a F1 visa but that's not going to work out. Me and my SO consider getting married, but are confused about a few things. From my understanding - I can apply for the K1 visa, come to the states, get married and apply for a work permit and adjustment of status and STAY in the USA? Or do I have to leave? Also, I assume the wait time depends on queues and where the fiance is from. Me coming from a country with small immigration population to the US should mean that the process will be shorter? Or it doesn't matter? Also, what proofs that we've been together for a year would suffice? We weren't considering gettign married anytime soon back then so we might not have "Enough" proof. It's kind of strange when you think about it - take any young couple and ask them to prove they're dating, especially one that doesn't have any possesions together or any joint account. We've lived with his parents, would a letter from them be considered as proof? And pictures..Yes we have plenty of pictures but we were too poor to go on vacations or anywhere memorable, they're all from around the house, would they be enough of a proof? How will the officials view our relationship? We've met in August 2010, moved in together in September 2010, lived together until September 2011, then had a long term relationship for a year? I wouldn't think it should be too hard, given the fact that we met in the USA, where I've been for a while already. Can anyone tell me what hardships are we awaiting? Do you advise we hire a lawyer? Some people on here say that it's not worth it. But how about in our situation? Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well hello. First off I can answer about k1. You need proof of having met within 2 years before filing. Proof includes flight tickets , boarding passes, and in your case a letter from his parents would work. Proof of ongoing relationship would be things like phone calls, emails. Of course you need pictures too. But you have to make sure you have proof right in that 2 yr window of filing. You would be interviewing in your country. Good luck whatever you decide.

08/01/12-Married08/17/12-Applied for Social Security Card09/23/12-Husband received his Social Security card!09/27/12-Filed AOS09/28/12-AOS package received10/01/12-Text message from USCIS10/03/12-Check cashed10/09/12-NOA1 for I485,I765,I131 AND Biometrics Appointment Letter10/24/12-Biometrics Appointment12/11/12-EAD and AP Approved-75 days12/14/12-EAD/AP Card Production ordered12/21/12-EAD/AP Card came in the mail06/22/13-Green Card Approved06/27/13-Greed Card Production Ordered06/29/13-Green Card came in the mail<p>

04/09/15-Mailed ROC

04/10/2015-Package received

04/14/2015-Check cashed

06/02/2015-Called Service Center (still no NOA1) Service request found out wrong address on paperwork! :(

06/03/2015-Called to get address updated Ar11 online add change didnt work-got infopass for June 10th

06/10/2015-Went to info pass appt. Hubby got a 1yr. Extension stamp in his passport and biometrics done

08/12/2015-ROC Approved. Got letter in the mail.

08/29/2015-received new card in the mail.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello.

I have very recently started to look into the K1 visas and still don't understand some aspects,since many websites have contradictory informatio, so I guess it will be more accurate to ask someone who's been through the process.

I have lived in the United States for a total of 4 years. First tiem, I was there on an exchange student visa in highschool (2006-2007) subject to the 2 year home stay requirement. I returned to my home country - Moldova and finished highschool. I came back in 2008 of a student F1 visa, completed and Associates Degree and got a permit for Optional Practical Training in 2010. I never worked because I didnt find any jobs in the area though. In 2010 I met my SO (American citizen) and we lived together for 13 months. I left the USA to complete my home stay requirement so I can come back in the future and be able to get work visa, or Green card or be able to get married. I now have 3 months left of my home stay requirement. Until now I was going to come back on a F1 visa but that's not going to work out. Me and my SO consider getting married, but are confused about a few things. From my understanding - I can apply for the K1 visa, come to the states, get married and apply for a work permit and adjustment of status and STAY in the USA? Or do I have to leave? Also, I assume the wait time depends on queues and where the fiance is from. Me coming from a country with small immigration population to the US should mean that the process will be shorter? Or it doesn't matter? Also, what proofs that we've been together for a year would suffice? We weren't considering gettign married anytime soon back then so we might not have "Enough" proof. It's kind of strange when you think about it - take any young couple and ask them to prove they're dating, especially one that doesn't have any possesions together or any joint account. We've lived with his parents, would a letter from them be considered as proof? And pictures..Yes we have plenty of pictures but we were too poor to go on vacations or anywhere memorable, they're all from around the house, would they be enough of a proof? How will the officials view our relationship? We've met in August 2010, moved in together in September 2010, lived together until September 2011, then had a long term relationship for a year? I wouldn't think it should be too hard, given the fact that we met in the USA, where I've been for a while already. Can anyone tell me what hardships are we awaiting? Do you advise we hire a lawyer? Some people on here say that it's not worth it. But how about in our situation? Thank you.

The K-1 process is very easy. No need for lawyer. Only takes about 6 months from date of filing K-1 to getting Visa. If you want to work as soon as possible better to get married there then file CR1 if you just want to be in the usa with your fiacee.. the K-1 is the fastest way. 6 months where a CR1 will take more like a year. Benifits of CR1 is you come here with a 10 year green card and have most of the rights as a us citzen. Where with a K-1 you first have to get a 2 year green card then apply for the 10 year after that and can not work until your AOS is approved.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello.

I have lived in the United States for a total of 4 years. First tiem, I was there on an exchange student visa in high school (2006-2007) subject to the 2 year home stay requirement. I returned to my home country - Moldova and finished high school. I came back in 2008 of a student F1 visa, completed and Associates Degree and got a permit for Optional Practical Training in 2010. I never worked because I didnt find any jobs in the area though. In 2010 I met my SO (American citizen) and we lived together for 13 months. I left the USA to complete my home stay requirement so I can come back in the future and be able to get work visa, or Green card or be able to get married. I now have 3 months left of my home stay requirement. Until now I was going to come back on a F1 visa but that's not going to work out. Me and my SO consider getting married, but are confused about a few things. From my understanding - I can apply for the K1 visa, come to the states, get married and apply for a work permit and adjustment of status and STAY in the USA? Or do I have to leave? You will be staying by adjusting status after getting married to become an LPR which will give you the opportunity to work travel outside of the U.S after approval since that was the original intent anyway. Also, I assume the wait time depends on queues and where the fiance is from. Me coming from a country with small immigration population to the US should mean that the process will be shorter? Or it doesn't matter? It doesn't really matter, you will be made to follow the process according to USCIS rule just like other filers and again your country's embassy at the interview. Also, what proofs that we've been together for a year would suffice? We weren't considering gettign married anytime soon back then so we might not have "Enough" proof. It's kind of strange when you think about it - take any young couple and ask them to prove they're dating, especially one that doesn't have any possesions together or any joint account. We've lived with his parents, would a letter from them be considered as proof? And pictures..Yes we have plenty of pictures but we were too poor to go on vacations or anywhere memorable, they're all from around the house, would they be enough of a proof? submit 3-5 pictures of both of you together and with family members is also good, it doesn't matter where it was taken. If you used email/ while you was away from the U.S then submit copies of your correspondence with each other plus phone bills and yes the letter from his parents will also be okay. How will the officials view our relationship? You can't tell until interview, you must be prepared to prove your relationship is bona fide to the consular officer. We've met in August 2010, moved in together in September 2010, lived together until September 2011, then had a long term relationship for a year? I wouldn't think it should be too hard, given the fact that we met in the USA, where I've been for a while already. Can anyone tell me what hardships are we awaiting? Proving your relationship is bona fide to the consular officer first and mostly after approval by the USCIS, others might tell what more to expect. Do you advise we hire a lawyer? Some people on here say that it's not worth it. But how about in our situation? If it is just the way you have explained it then you can do it yourself by reading step by step instructions here on this great site Thank you.

Answers in bold text.

Please Read the guide on the link below carefully and you can do it by yourself with ease :)

http://www.visajourn...content/k1guide

Only takes about 6 months from date of filing K-1 to getting Visa.

This is ABSOLUTELY incorrect. Filing for the petition and getting it approved generally takes 6 months. After that, there is the embassy and interview stage. Sure, the random lucky person might get it all done in 6 months, but that is by far not the normal processing time at all. Please be careful when making statements like this - it gives people false impressions of what the process entails.

Edited by Coconuts

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.