GKER

Rescheduling oath ceremony?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Today I received the oath ceremony letter, and I am scheduled for the oath on May 24th in LA. Unfortunately I will NOT be able to attend the ceremony as I will be out of the country that week for a friends wedding.

So what do I do know? What is the process for rescheduling the oath? Will this cause any problems for me? How long does it take to get a new date for the oath?

Also what happens at USCIS when one reschedules the oath ceremony? Will they pull out my file and go through it again? Can they call me for another interview?

When I mail them (can I call instead?), will I get back a confirmation telling me whether they accept the rescheduling? I have read that some send their request for rescheduling but did not received anything back before their original oath ceremony, therefore they had to attend that one.

I am really saddened that I will not be able to attend the oath on the 24th of May, as I was looking forward to it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You need to send the piece of paper back that they sent you- exact instructions are on there.

Your case will not be re-opened, but you will be put at the end of the line, so it may be several months until you get your oath, depending on how busy your field office is.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

It is better to complete the Oath ceremony at the scheduled date. Postponing can lead to uncertainties as to when the new date for the ceremony. I did not want to miss my opportunity so I flew back from Caribbean two weeks ago to attend the ceremony. I missed my final exams in the med school and I have to go back and take them now. It is well worth it as I am done with the ceremony and now applying for the US Passport and completing other formalities. I do not have to worry about these things in the future. Just complete it on the scheduled date. That is my advice.

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Today I received the oath ceremony letter, and I am scheduled for the oath on May 24th in LA. Unfortunately I will NOT be able to attend the ceremony as I will be out of the country that week for a friends wedding.

So what do I do know? What is the process for rescheduling the oath? Will this cause any problems for me? How long does it take to get a new date for the oath?

Also what happens at USCIS when one reschedules the oath ceremony? Will they pull out my file and go through it again? Can they call me for another interview?

When I mail them (can I call instead?), will I get back a confirmation telling me whether they accept the rescheduling? I have read that some send their request for rescheduling but did not received anything back before their original oath ceremony, therefore they had to attend that one.

I am really saddened that I will not be able to attend the oath on the 24th of May, as I was looking forward to it.

I would suggest you try to look up the oath schedule for your region. If you're available on those dates within the next few months and won't have to go abroad the next half a year or so, you won't have a problem postponing the oath . It'll allow you enough time to do the oath and apply for a passport. The reason I'm pretty confident its not gonna delay your case more than few months is because your case is practically done. It's a matter of handing/sending you a piece if paper.

N-400 application timeline

02-22-2012-- (00): documents sent

02-23-2012-- (01): NOA date

02-27-2012-- (05): check cashed

03-02-2012-- (09): bio appointment notice sent, bio date 03-15 (23)

03-05-2012-- (12): bio notice received

03-06-2012-- (13): early bio

03-12-2012-- (19): in line for interview scheduling

03-21-2012-- (28): scheduled for interview

03-28-2012-- (35): interview notice received

05-02-2012-- (70): interview. Rec. for Approval!

05-16-2012-- (84): in line for oath scheduling

06-19-2012-(118): scheduled for oath

06-21-2012-(120): oath letter received

07-06-2012-(135): oath

Passport application timeline

07-10-2012-- (00): application sent (card+book/routine service)

07-17-2012-- (07): application status online

07-26-2012-- (16): application on hold (name too long)

07-28-2012-- (18): RFI Tucson passport center (proposed shortened name) letter received

07-30-2012-- (20): reply sent to Tucson passport center

08-18-2012-- (39): passport book received

08-21-2012-- (42): passport card received

08-21-2012-- (42): CON received

Unless there is a medical or family emergency, I would go to the oath at the scheduled date.

How many days are there between your oath date and your friend's wedding? You can travel either before the oath if the wedding day is before the oath, or right after the oath (via getting a same-day passport at a passport agency) if the wedding is after your oath. As I said, I would attend the oath at the scheduled date.

--

Edited by nwctzn

Timeline

Dealing with same day passport adds much more stress and uncertainty.

07-28-2012-- (18): RFI Tucson passport center (proposed shortened name) letter received

Dealing with same day passport adds much more stress and uncertainty.

Why? I do not see any stress or uncertainty component here. If you have proof of travel within the next two weeks it is not a big deal to get an expedited passport at a passport agency. You will get it either the same day or the day after.

--

Edited by nwctzn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Unless there is a medical or family emergency, I would go to the oath at the scheduled date.

How many days are there between your oath date and your friend's wedding? You can travel either before the oath if the wedding day is before the oath, or right after the oath (via getting a same-day passport at a passport agency) if the wedding is after your oath. As I said, I would attend the oath at the scheduled date.

--

I totally agree with this post. You should not reschedule oath ceremony. Oath Ceremony is a very big deal. It's like you trying to reschedule your graduation. Think about it. ;)

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Timeline

Why? I do not see any stress or uncertainty component here. If you have proof of travel within the next two weeks it is not a big deal to get an expedited passport at a passport agency. You will get it either the same day or the day after.

--

Getting same day passport is not a big issue at all. I applied and got my passport the very next day even though I am travelling a week they gave it to me very next day. Getting a passport is not a big deal at all if you can show your travel plans and airline ticket or reservation. If you are travelling internationally you being a US Citizent gives you additional support from US embassies abroad. That is one more reason to get your citizenship done soon and then travel.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well as most others said, re-scheduling can be problematic. And the general rule is if it isn't a life or death situation, always attend the Oath. Rescheduling puts you back into the system and many people have gotten lost and ended up having to wait a very long time to get another oath.

Now does this happen to everyone? No, but does it happen to a good number? Yes. So it's a risk you decide to take. Just don't be surprised if many months pass and you receive no word from the INS. Also if it's several months you may have to make an INFOPASS appointment just to make sure you haven't been stuck in limbo. I have heard several stories where people just simply are in a limbo status when they were put back in for another ceremony...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

I called USCIS before I sent back the N445 form, and they told me that it is fine to reschedule the oath ceremony.

Hopefully I will get a new date as soon as possible.

Good Luck and keep us updated once you become USC.

I called USCIS before I sent back the N445 form, and they told me that it is fine to reschedule the oath ceremony.

Well, it is your call. Hope you get a convenient date soon. Please keep us posted how it goes.

Timeline

See, no problem at all. I don't see the fuss that people are making about attending the oath. What does it matter if you'll be sworn in a few months later. You still have your GC up to then.

See, no problem at all. I don't see the fuss that people are making about attending the oath. What does it matter if you'll be sworn in a few months later. You still have your GC up to then.

We are not making a fuss. We are just commenting what we would do if we were in the OP's shoes.

You make your point and we make ours and then the OP is free to choose.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.