laptop

SSN Application Form SS-5

11 posts in this topic

Hi

I'm sure i'm being a total dingbat - but filling out my Application For a SNN (Form SS-5), Question 3 asks for my CITIZENSHIP:

1/ U.S Citizen

2/ Legal Alien Allowed To Work

3/ Legal Alien NOT Allowed To Work

4/ Other

Do I tick 'OTHER'??

Errm, Thanks guys!!! :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I would suspect 3/ Legal Alien NOT Allowed To Work, Unless you got temporary EAD stamp at POE then it would be 2/ Legal Alien Allowed To Work.

If you hold a K-1 visa then you are a Legal Alien.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Timeline
I'm sure i'm being a total dingbat - but filling out my Application For a SNN (Form SS-5), Question 3 asks for my CITIZENSHIP:

1/ U.S Citizen

4/ Other

Dear Dingbat. LOL

2. Legal Alien Allowed To Work Truthfully, you really don't need the SS-5. Just take your documents to an SSA office. They will printout a computer gernerated application for you to look over and sign.

I would suspect 3/ Legal Alien NOT Allowed To Work, Unless you got temporary EAD stamp at POE then it would be 2/ Legal Alien Allowed To Work.

For an SSN a K-1 is #2 Legal Alien Allowed To Work for the first 76 days with just the I-94.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ya I had the SS-5 filled out when I went in but they didn't even ask to see it ... All they wanted to see was my passport and I-94 ...

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

YuAndDan,

laptop is a 'Legal Alien Allowed To Work' whether or not they have an EAD stamp.

The stamp is not permission to work, it is evidence of permission to work - evidence that is not required by the SSA to issue a SS card to a K1.

Yodrak

The stamp is not permission to work, it is evidence of permission to work - evidence that is not required by the SSA to issue a SS card to a K1.

Does it mean that I would not break the law if I worked without EAD ? :o

Bartek

Bartek,

Depends - are you employment authorized? If you are employment authorized (K1s are, for their 1st 90 days in the USA), you have 3 days from date of hire to show your employer that you've applied for an EAD and 90 days from date of hire to obtain and show your employer the EAD.

Yodrak

Does it mean that I would not break the law if I worked without EAD ?

Bartek

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

1/ U.S Citizen

4/ Other

Dear Dingbat. LOL

2. Legal Alien Allowed To Work Truthfully, you really don't need the SS-5. Just take your documents to an SSA office. They will printout a computer gernerated application for you to look over and sign.

For an SSN a K-1 is #2 Legal Alien Allowed To Work for the first 76 days with just the I-94.

Mdyoung,

Wow, you dont really need to fill out the form anymore? So when we go in to apply for my wife's and son's SSn,we should just be able to show them the greencards (they took the I-94) and then they do an auto printout for them to sign?

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

1/ U.S Citizen

4/ Other

Dear Dingbat. LOL

Mdyoung,

Wow, you dont really need to fill out the form anymore? So when we go in to apply for my wife's and son's SSn,we should just be able to show them the greencards (they took the I-94) and then they do an auto printout for them to sign?

Yep

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202001

RM 00202.001 Form SS-5 (Application for A Social Security Card) - Overview

C. Policy - Types of Applications

An SSN application can be the Form SS-5, the Internet version Form SS-5, or the systems-generated application which collects the same information from the applicant as is obtained on the paper Form SS-5. While any of these formats are acceptable, you must use the systems-generated application whenever the proper applicant remains in the office throughout the interview and input process.

3. Systems-Generated Application

When the applicant remains in the office throughout the interview and keying of this data, the FO employee must print the systems-generated application for the applicant's review and signature, and the FO employee(s) certification(s).

request the applicant to sign the systems-generated application (even if the applicant had brought in a completed paper or Internet Form SS-5);

destroy (i.e., by shredding) any other versions of the form that may have been completed once the systems-generated application has been signed. NOTE: the other form may be returned to the applicant, if he or she wishes to keep it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

1/ U.S Citizen

4/ Other

Dear Dingbat. LOL

Mdyoung,

Yep

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202001

RM 00202.001 Form SS-5 (Application for A Social Security Card) - Overview

C. Policy - Types of Applications

An SSN application can be the Form SS-5, the Internet version Form SS-5, or the systems-generated application which collects the same information from the applicant as is obtained on the paper Form SS-5. While any of these formats are acceptable, you must use the systems-generated application whenever the proper applicant remains in the office throughout the interview and input process.

3. Systems-Generated Application

When the applicant remains in the office throughout the interview and keying of this data, the FO employee must print the systems-generated application for the applicant's review and signature, and the FO employee(s) certification(s).

request the applicant to sign the systems-generated application (even if the applicant had brought in a completed paper or Internet Form SS-5);

destroy (i.e., by shredding) any other versions of the form that may have been completed once the systems-generated application has been signed. NOTE: the other form may be returned to the applicant, if he or she wishes to keep it.

Great!!

Thanks Mdyoung as usual, you are always a help!

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.