AmyWrites

Country of domicile - I -864

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If your visiting Russia and not living there then your residence would be in the USA, the place you pay your bills on and have your lease/mortgage with etc.

At the interview they are really going to look for US domicile to prove you really are going back to the USA. good.gif

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

If your visiting Russia and not living there then your residence would be in the USA, the place you pay your bills on and have your lease/mortgage with etc.

At the interview they are really going to look for US domicile to prove you really are going back to the USA. good.gif

I'm not visiting, I'm a student... but not a degree student, just here temporarily. ....

Also, in the question 21... my household size adds up to 3, since the person I'm sponsoring is my husband and it asks for the number of people I wrote of in line 10 (him) and then if I'm married. Do I just ignore it and write down 2 in the total number anyway?

And mods, I meant to put this in DCF :(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you are doing DCF then you must show that you are a legal resident of Russia. So that would be your current domicile.

For the I-864 you need to demonstrate a US domicile. Refer to these FAQ to help >>> http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3183.html

Read the form instructions and they tell you not to count anyone twice. Your alien spouse is accounted for in line 21a. Line 21c is for a spouse not being sponsored.

-Moved from Bringing Family Members of USC forum to DCF forum-

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

If you are doing DCF then you must show that you are a legal resident of Russia. So that would be your current domicile.

For the I-864 you need to demonstrate a US domicile. Refer to these FAQ to help >>> http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3183.html

Read the form instructions and they tell you not to count anyone twice. Your alien spouse is accounted for in line 21a. Line 21c is for a spouse not being sponsored.

-Moved from Bringing Family Members of USC forum to DCF forum-

But I'm not a resident, I'm under a student visa, have been here for longer than six months though.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

But I'm not a resident, I'm under a student visa, have been here for longer than six months though.

Hm then maybe its Russia specific? Most embassys require proof of residency in that country, some type of residence card or paperwork to file for DCF. Unless your student visa counts as residency to them?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Hm then maybe its Russia specific? Most embassys require proof of residency in that country, some type of residence card or paperwork to file for DCF. Unless your student visa counts as residency to them?

I've heard of other people who got approved under student visas, as long as they'd been here for more than six months. The embassy just said I had to prove I've lived here continously for at least six months.

I have a very specific question. I've never filed Federal taxes, because I made no real income, and I'm from a US territory, so the tax thing is different there. I did file the territory's taxes this year (still not enough money to file federal though), and that proves my income, should I just submit that, with a letter explaining the situation?

Edited by AmyWrites

Timeline

Moscow embassy website info for DCF >>>> http://moscow.usembassy.gov/uscis-i130.html

The student visa status may be acceptable to show that the petitioner has "lawfully resided in the Russian Federation for at least 6 months prior to filing." Best to confirm that with the embassy / USCIS field office before you get started.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

If you've never been required to file federal taxes (state or territory income taxes do not matter) then follow the form instructions (page 8) and submit a statement addressing your situation.

If you do not have current and continuing income ($18,912) that meets the requirement then you will need a joint sponsor.

Timeline

If you've never been required to file federal taxes (state or territory income taxes do not matter) then follow the form instructions (page 8) and submit a statement addressing your situation.

If you do not have current and continuing income ($18,912) that meets the requirement then you will need a joint sponsor.

Yep, have a co-sponsor who meets the requirements and hopefully my husband's income will factor in a bit too. Yeah, just read the thing about the letter. :-)

Should I state "student" as my employment? Back where I'm from we do...

Timeline

Employment as student is correct.

If your husband's income will not continue when moving to the US then it will not be considered. Any assets that he has may be considered.

Timeline

So, domicile is USA since I'm only in Russia temporarily? According to the instructions, "B. You are living abroad temporarily. If you are not currently living in the United States, you must show that your trip abroad is temporary and that you have maintained your domicile in the United States. You can show this by providing proof of your voting record in the United States, proof of paying U.S. State or local taxes, proof of having property in the United States, proof of maintaining bank or investment accounts in the United States, or proof of having a permanent mailing address in the United States. Other proof could be evidence that you are a student studying abroad or that a foreign government has authorized a temporary stay."

And in part 3, question 8, I answer "yes" since I'm the principle sponsor, or "no" since it's two sponsors?

When we filed DCF I put country of domicile as the country where we were residing on the I864

We didnt show that our trip abroad was temporary. We just demonstrated that we had a place to go and specific intention to return.

Our assets were however all in the US

So, domicile is USA since I'm only in Russia temporarily? According to the instructions, "B. You are living abroad temporarily. If you are not currently living in the United States, you must show that your trip abroad is temporary and that you have maintained your domicile in the United States. You can show this by providing proof of your voting record in the United States, proof of paying U.S. State or local taxes, proof of having property in the United States, proof of maintaining bank or investment accounts in the United States, or proof of having a permanent mailing address in the United States. Other proof could be evidence that you are a student studying abroad or that a foreign government has authorized a temporary stay."

And in part 3, question 8, I answer "yes" since I'm the principle sponsor, or "no" since it's two sponsors?

Edited by himher

i don't get it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.