buddy2012

To become an admin assistant / receptionist

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

So I worked in the bank for 8 years and in that time worked as a cashier and then on the front desk, account opening, doing expenses for the regional office, general errands. I then went on to be an investment / mortgage advisor so being good at paperwork was essential. I then was promoted to a financial advisor whereby I did investments, pensions and life policies.

When we relocate i would love to do something like an admin assistant and work up to exec assistant. I have seen some jobs that I would love but I am assuming that the competition for these jobs would be stiff... I have references and good ones at that.

How hard is it to get this kind of job in CA?

Thanks!

ps... I make a great cup of coffee!! lol!

So I worked in the bank for 8 years and in that time worked as a cashier and then on the front desk, account opening, doing expenses for the regional office, general errands. I then went on to be an investment / mortgage advisor so being good at paperwork was essential. I then was promoted to a financial advisor whereby I did investments, pensions and life policies.

When we relocate i would love to do something like an admin assistant and work up to exec assistant. I have seen some jobs that I would love but I am assuming that the competition for these jobs would be stiff... I have references and good ones at that.

How hard is it to get this kind of job in CA?

Thanks!

ps... I make a great cup of coffee!! lol!

Once you move, you should look into visiting an employment agency to get placed on short-term gigs for an admin assistant. Lots of larger offices use placement firms since they vet candidates (drug testing, background checks, etc.) and also provide capability tests for typing, software skills (MS Word, Excel, telephone, etc.).

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Agree with the above. DEFINITELY start looking at some good agencies. Most jobs through agencies will be "temp to hire" meaning you'll be a temp until (and if) they decide to hire you on directly/permanently.

You're right, the competition is stiff. One thing I've found with these types of positions is that a bachelors or associates degree is preferred. Your overseas references and experience usually won't count the same compared to someone with US experience. I had some luck with my first position in finding a job that was willing to give me a go (and I did quite well if I say so myself) but since that temp job went away I've been unemployed for over 6 months and finding it hard to compete with people here (even though my experience and references are also pretty darn great not to mention I test extremely well).

Also my SIL used to live in CA and found that being bilingual was a BIG selling point and something a lot of places there were looking for (Spanish/English that is)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.