jackielibera

Husband Lost the Divorce Decree

10 posts in this topic

My husband lost the copy of his Divorce Decree, Can this affect my Application for N400? USCIS has Copy of it when we File K1 and Removal Of Status. We try to look for it and we can't find it. His ex-wife remarried after their Divorce and She's been deceased for 3 years now. I just wanna make sure that this will not affect my application. Will send it today 4/24/2012

K1 Visa

2007-08-16 filed K1

2008-05-14 new interview date (APPROVED!!!)

2008-05-23 NSO send docs. to USEM

2008-06-14 visa on hand

2008-06- 18 Flight from Manila to LA and arrived same date

2008-06-19 See Disneyland LA

2008-06-21 I arrived San Francisco

2008-06-27 CIVIL WEDDING

AOS

July 08, 2008 FILE AOS

July 18, 2008 RECEIVED NOA AND SSN (mailed)

Aug. 06, 2008 Biometric Schedule

Feb. 06, 2009 Received Interview letter

March 09, 2009 Interview day

March 23, 2009 Received Green Card

ROC

Jan. 10, 2011 Biometric

June 15, 2011 Interview / Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Her death certificate in your case should suffice if you can get a certified copy of that. But yes, for marriage, and this seems redundant since you already went through the AOS and the ROC stages to prove you were both free to marry. That you have to do it again for naturalization, again, plus yet another certified copy for your marriage certificate.

One way to skip all this nonsense is to wait the full five years.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Her death certificate in your case should suffice if you can get a certified copy of that. But yes, for marriage, and this seems redundant since you already went through the AOS and the ROC stages to prove you were both free to marry. That you have to do it again for naturalization, again, plus yet another certified copy for your marriage certificate.

Her death certificate will not suffice if the current marriage occurred before her death. The death certificate would not show that his prior marriage was terminated before his current marriage.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

My husband lost the copy of his Divorce Decree, Can this affect my Application for N400? USCIS has Copy of it when we File K1 and Removal Of Status. We try to look for it and we can't find it. His ex-wife remarried after their Divorce and She's been deceased for 3 years now. I just wanna make sure that this will not affect my application. Will send it today 4/24/2012

Have your husband order a certified copy of his divorce decree from the court where he obtained his divorce. It's simple to replace the document.

He could go today to the courthouse and get it immediately.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You can go to the court house and get a copy of the divorce decree. Also you can check with your state's vital records office which keeps track of all the marriage / divorce / birth / death certificates in the state. In some states you can apply for the certificate online. Check with your state.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes, you will need it at the citizenship interview, the ORIGINAL, plus a copy for them to keep. Get another one from the court where the divorce occurred. Get it now. Should be able to do it with a phone call and mailing a check for a small fee.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The previousd marrige ennded in divorce, he needs the divorce decree, a certified original. A COPY is OK for the N-4000 buyt you will need to take the original with you to the interview along with ANOTHER copy and they will inspect them and keep the other copy. There is no telling how many copies of stuff they want, but if you want your citizenship approved you do it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Despite death certificate is not gonna help in this case, I'm not even sure if her husband would be able to obtain a death certificate of his remarried ex-wife. He has technically nothing to do with her anymore so don't see why county would provide him with that. Perhaps her new husband would have to provide him with that. Isn't it weird a former spouse of your desceased wife is asking you for a copy of her death certificate to get his new spouse through the naturalization process?! ;)

N-400 application timeline

02-22-2012-- (00): documents sent

02-23-2012-- (01): NOA date

02-27-2012-- (05): check cashed

03-02-2012-- (09): bio appointment notice sent, bio date 03-15 (23)

03-05-2012-- (12): bio notice received

03-06-2012-- (13): early bio

03-12-2012-- (19): in line for interview scheduling

03-21-2012-- (28): scheduled for interview

03-28-2012-- (35): interview notice received

05-02-2012-- (70): interview. Rec. for Approval!

05-16-2012-- (84): in line for oath scheduling

06-19-2012-(118): scheduled for oath

06-21-2012-(120): oath letter received

07-06-2012-(135): oath

Passport application timeline

07-10-2012-- (00): application sent (card+book/routine service)

07-17-2012-- (07): application status online

07-26-2012-- (16): application on hold (name too long)

07-28-2012-- (18): RFI Tucson passport center (proposed shortened name) letter received

07-30-2012-- (20): reply sent to Tucson passport center

08-18-2012-- (39): passport book received

08-21-2012-- (42): passport card received

08-21-2012-- (42): CON received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Despite death certificate is not gonna help in this case, I'm not even sure if her husband would be able to obtain a death certificate of his remarried ex-wife. He has technically nothing to do with her anymore so don't see why county would provide him with that. Perhaps her new husband would have to provide him with that. Isn't it weird a former spouse of your desceased wife is asking you for a copy of her death certificate to get his new spouse through the naturalization process?! ;)

What was I thinking when I typed this, a death certificate is only good if that was the prime reason for a marriage to terminate. Till death do as part and all that. Probably also wishful thinking if you had an ex that is constantly giving you problems even after the marriage was terminated.

Was so angry after my divorce, as soon as I got home pitched my entire divorce file in the trashcan, good thing the garbage man wasn't due for a couple days, cooled down and recovered that file. Sure needed that over and over again.

Another necessity is having some type of a filing cabinet for all of these documents, tax returns, birth marriage certificates, and all of that immigration stuff, plus other important legal documents. And make sure those papers are returned when done using them. Our immigration file is taking up about ten inches of space in a fireproof legal sized locked filing cabinet. Domestic replacements are easy enough to replace, but those foreign ones can be a real expense to replace. Just can't forget and bury the past, they won't let you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.