MapleLeafBaby

Semi-Approval...Need help Please!

15 posts in this topic

Ok... so here's the deal. I applied in July for ROC. I knew my son would not have to do Bio, I did get the notice so I went for mine.

I just got my approval notice dated April 13th this week, and nothing for my 8 year old son (they always come together, any mail we get from USCIS) So I knew something was up.

I called and got to speak to an agent who told me my son is still pending because they require two passport photos of him. I did not think this was a requirement when I filed my 751 as I was under the impression that they use his AOS stats..

So fast forward to the present, I was told to make an InfoPass appmnt and take the two passport photos with me and he would be approved.

My question is, that I have never had much experience with US passport photos. I am taking them tmrw, do they need to be notarized on the back? I forgot to ask the agent as I was rushed off the phone.

Does anyone know how US passport type photos work? I only have experience with Canadian photos where the place that takes the photos stamps them on the back and you get them notarized. When I called the photo place, they had no idea what type of stamp I was talking about.

I don't want to take any chances, so I will get them notarized, but does anyone have any info to provide? Does the person notarizing stamp them? And do I just take my son with me with his ID? He's only 8 years old.

My appmnt is Tuesday and I want to be prepared.

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Macedonia
Timeline

Ok... so here's the deal. I applied in July for ROC. I knew my son would not have to do Bio, I did get the notice so I went for mine.

I just got my approval notice dated April 13th this week, and nothing for my 8 year old son (they always come together, any mail we get from USCIS) So I knew something was up.

I called and got to speak to an agent who told me my son is still pending because they require two passport photos of him. I did not think this was a requirement when I filed my 751 as I was under the impression that they use his AOS stats..

So fast forward to the present, I was told to make an InfoPass appmnt and take the two passport photos with me and he would be approved.

My question is, that I have never had much experience with US passport photos. I am taking them tmrw, do they need to be notarized on the back? I forgot to ask the agent as I was rushed off the phone.

Does anyone know how US passport type photos work? I only have experience with Canadian photos where the place that takes the photos stamps them on the back and you get them notarized. When I called the photo place, they had no idea what type of stamp I was talking about.

I don't want to take any chances, so I will get them notarized, but does anyone have any info to provide? Does the person notarizing stamp them? And do I just take my son with me with his ID? He's only 8 years old.

No they do not need to be notarized. Go to this website for the photo requirements; http://travel.state.gov/passport/pptphotoreq/pptphotoreq_5333.html. However, ANY place that takes passport photos should know this information. Good luck! :)

Our Journey:

10/02/2011: Met while working in Afghanistan
10/15/2011: First "date"
01/03/2012: Hired an attorney to file our K-1
02/05/2012: He returned to Macedonia
02/29/2012: My first visit to Skopje
03/03/2012: Met my future family
03/15/2012: I-129F package mailed / returned to Afghanistan
03/19/2012: Received notification of arrival of I-129F
03/21/2012: NOA1 mailed
07/15/2012: 2nd trip to Skopje
09/20/2012: NOA2 notice
10/05/2012: Attorney Received Case number from NVC
10/25/2012: Received packet 3 ( the same time I left on my flight back to the US)
11/06/2012: Medical Scheduled
11/15/2012: Interview - Denied due to "lack of proof of relationship"
11/27/2012; 2nd Interview scheduled - APPROVED!
11/29/2012: VISA IN HAND!
11/30/2012: POE NYC-JFK
12/12/2012: WEDDING!!!

02/26/2013: I-485 Filed

09/10/2013: Green card received NO INTERVIEW!!!!

No they do not need to be notarized. Go to this website for the photo requirements; http://travel.state....oreq_5333.html. However, ANY place that takes passport photos should know this information. Good luck! :)

Just go to a Wallgreens and tell them you need passport pics.

10/07/2007 Entered the US on J-1 visa

11/03/2008 Changed status to F-1

02/14/2010 Married

03/15/2010 Filed AOS (from F-1)

05/27/2010 AOS approved, GC Issued

02/28/2012 Mailed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

03/01/2012 I-751 received by CSC/NOA Issued

03/15/2012 Biometrics letter sent

04/12/2012 Biometrics appointment per letter

05/27/2012 GC expires

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also, reread the AOS or N-400 instructions for how USCIS likes passport photos. From the I-485 instructions:

4. Photos

You must submit two identical color photographs of yourself taken within 30 days of the filing of this application. The photos must have a white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy finish, and be unmounted and unretouched.

Passport-style photos must be 2" x 2." The photos must be in color with full face, frontal view on a white to off-white background. Head height should measure 1" to 1 3/8" from top of hair to bottom of chin, and eye height is between 1 1/8" to 1 3/8" from bottom of photo. Your head must be bare unless you are wearing a headdress as required by a religious order of which you are a member. Using pencil or felt pen, lightly print your name and Alien Registration Number (A-Number) on the back of the photo.

Yeah, any Walgreens or Walmart will know most of that stuff (except the A# part, which is all you have to add to the photos. No notarizing necessary.) and will be able to produce photos to USCIS specifications. (The painful thing is trying to get Walgreens to produce passport photos to Canadian specifications, which are totally different. But for USCIS, they'll be fine.)

Some older instructions and guides mention notarizing requirements for various documents you submit to USCIS or the Consulates, but that's really all in the past and outdated. I've never had to notarize anything from my I-129F all the way to now.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

FYI, Passport Canada no longer need the photos notarized either (unless by notarized you mean just stamped by the photographer and signed by you). They are, however, very fussy about there being no brightness variations in the background, and the specs for photo size and head size and position are radically different from the US specifications.

The machine Walgreens uses to print out the photos has a Canadian specs template, so it can frame the picture properly (though it may take the employee a few times to take a picture of you from the right distance with enough headroom so the photo will scale into the Canadian template properly - they're obviously much more used to the US specs) but they can only cut the photos to 2" x 2", which is wrong for Canada and will get your photos refused. I just had them give me the one sheet with both photos on it, and I cut it myself to get it to the size Canada likes.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Thank you for all the info! :)

I went and got them, and all I have to say is that my Walgreens is useless and they are not qualified! I was there for an hour! And they tried to send me home with out of focus grainy pics! Worst experience ever! I think my location was a one off... Anyways I got the pics notarized just in case... I will also write his info on the back. Didn't want to take any chances, plus TD bank across the street from Walgreens notarizes for free.

So I have my infopass Tues... Fingers crossed its easy breezy and they put his card into production. If I got approved there really should be no issue for him.

Wish me luck!

N-400 Citizenship

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

They most definitely do NOT need to be notarized. Sorry for your experience at Walgreens. I've never had any trouble at CVS

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Thanks Marina... I know! It was def not the norm im sure. The funny thing is that my husband wanted to use an app he has on his iPhone that takes passport photos an he used it for his passport with no problems. I told him no way! And that I was not taking any chances and going to Walgreens... Lol what a mistake! An hour of them retaking and retaking... Blurry and then the head was not centered... It was so frustrating! The notary part was easy so I don't regret the extra step... Just walk right in to TD bank and they do it on the spot.... For free.

My son also wears glasses and I wasn't sure if they allow eye wear... Passport requirements says they can wear them, so I also took one photo with and one without. Lol..

I'm sure I did over kill but I don't want to come home with an RFE...

The funny thing is, they never even sent us an RFE... I had to call to find out he was in limbo with additional requirements... I'm sure they are super busy... I'm just happy to have an infopass so soon and get it done :)

N-400 Citizenship

Has anyone else had to send passport photo's for their K2? I don't recall having sent any with my applications...

Not sure...but I sure hope they are not making me do this for no reason lol... It's a bit of a hassle taking my son into the city. I will confirm with the agent at my infopass appmnt..that it is standard... we will see. I will pass on any info I get for future reference.

N-400 Citizenship

Please keep us posted on your outcome. I filed for my 8 year old daughter and my ROC and am still pending (July filer). Like your scenario, I did the biometrics and she did not. I have a feeling I will end up in the same situation as you with needing to get photos for her.

Please keep us posted on your outcome. I filed for my 8 year old daughter and my ROC and am still pending (July filer). Like your scenario, I did the biometrics and she did not. I have a feeling I will end up in the same situation as you with needing to get photos for her.

FYI, the children under 14 does not have to do biometrics anyway.

"Patience is the key to the paradise (US Citizenship, in our case)"

Well, I wish I had a more definitive update for people interested. But in typical USCIS fashion, there was no real clarity lol..

I showed up to my InfoPass and advised her that I was advised by an agent on the phone that my file indicated that I had to bring two photos in for my son. She was confused saying that she didn't see anything of such nature on his file and his status appeared to show 'approved' lol... I was ready to hit my head on the wall... $25 later in photos and parking...a long drive down there and such circus like activity to find out he was approved.

I am not going to complain as I am happy we got approvals, but man what a pain. She informed me that she was not aware of a need for photos for the 8 year old...

Oh well.. and to add insult to injury, I get home and check my mail and I had his approval letter lol...

Good luck to everyone else :)

N-400 Citizenship

Timeline

Hi Poprocks! Nice to see you around again :)

That's just crazy. I can't believe they would make you do all that for no reason. Congrats on the approvals!

Hi Poprocks! Nice to see you around again :)

That's just crazy. I can't believe they would make you do all that for no reason. Congrats on the approvals!

Hey girl!!!! Long time!!!! How is everything?

I know right? I'm not that bothered...I got an approval out of it lol... Now if I went home with an RFE...mama would not be happy! HAHA!

You doing citizenship? Or just chilling where you're at?

N-400 Citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.