doodlebug

honeymoon with the WHOLE family?

417 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Just a warning about Egypt, water supply and showering....in some areas the water can cut out during the day so you may only be able to shower at night or early in the morning. The hot water cuts out first since they have tiny hot water tanks. I'm used to taking my showers in the morning but since I wouldn't wake up until 1pm the hot water was usually out. My SIL would have boiling water waiting for me to mix with cold to take an "Egyptian shower". That's what I call a shower in which you have to use a plastic pitcher to pour water over yourself. My family had several containers of water in the bathroom and kitchen just in case the water would cut out. The toilet didn't flush on its own at home so we had to use a bucket filled with water to flush. Just an FYI...don't attempt to flush toilet paper or tissues down the toilet.

Well it will just be me, him and his sisters who will be at work during the day and since it won't be Ramadan I guess we can get our groove on in the daylight hours. :)

I'm going to have to buy a robe though. I"ve lived with just my two daughters for 8 yrs now just us three chickens so none of us have robes and we all wear whatever and don't close any doors. When he gets here that will certainly be an adjustment we'll ALL have to make!! lol.

Ok time to shop for a robe now! :)

Oh...................you take baths in the morning? :unsure: I usually take a shower at night so that I can just get up and go in the morning. Is that a cultural thing?

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a warning about Egypt, water supply and showering....in some areas the water can cut out during the day so you may only be able to shower at night or early in the morning. The hot water cuts out first since they have tiny hot water tanks. I'm used to taking my showers in the morning but since I wouldn't wake up until 1pm the hot water was usually out. My SIL would have boiling water waiting for me to mix with cold to take an "Egyptian shower". That's what I call a shower in which you have to use a plastic pitcher to pour water over yourself. My family had several containers of water in the bathroom and kitchen just in case the water would cut out. The toilet didn't flush on its own at home so we had to use a bucket filled with water to flush. Just an FYI...don't attempt to flush toilet paper or tissues down the toilet.

I can second this. We ONLY had water late at night into the wee hours of the morning. Period. You have to adapt. We used to fill our drinking water bottles every night for the next day. I would HURRY and do the washing, set out a pot of water for the next day's cooking, and the "emergency bucket" in the bathroom for assisting with toilet flushing and another for ablution. Whee! Life has a flavor all its own in Egypt. I didn't mind it at all. Just made making it through the day successfully a bit more challenging.

I remember those and I hated it! :angry::lol: And could we get a heater in the apartment??? No way! Early morning and late night showers suck in the cold!!! :P

I remember those and I hated it! :angry::lol: And could we get a heater in the apartment??? No way! Early morning and late night showers suck in the cold!!! :P

Yep. Those were some of the fastest showers I've taken in my life. Try having a wee little water heater that is not quite working properly so you are only allowed to turn it on before you need it, wait 20 minutes then use it.... and SOMEBODY who shall remains nameless goes moseying into the bathroom, sees the heater on and says "Oh goody hot water!" and proceeds to use it all. Pfft. Dork.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

O snaps Kara... hmmm that is *Algerien* bath I am taking now... we have a well here, so I donnot worry much on water shortage... also several neighbours who *love* me and let me get hot water from them..they have actually offered to let me use their washing machines...but I feel kinda werid about it. So I just declined their offers. O you know I just love to *rough* it here... :lol:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

So........where do you put the toilet paper if you can't flush it? :huh:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

In the trash bin. First you would use the bidet thingy to wash with then dry with the TP and throw it in the trash. Most Egyptians do not use TP so you're probably gonna have to get some when you get there. I brought a bunch of those little tissue packets with me. The septic system in Egypt is awful. If you flush the TP you'll just plug up the toilet and cause embarrasment for yourself.

So........where do you put the toilet paper if you can't flush it? :huh:

Timeline

would this be too provacative to hang out in?

http://www.roamans.com/product.aspx?PfId=9...;PurchaseType=0

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

In front of family..yes.

If you're gonna shop that website I'd go for something more like this...

http://www.roamans.com/product.aspx?PfId=8...;PurchaseType=0

Edited by moody

Timeline
In front of family..yes.

If you're gonna shop that website I'd go for something more like this...

http://www.roamans.com/product.aspx?PfId=8...;PurchaseType=0

okey dokey back to the ole drawing board. lol. I'm just so afraid of looking like a frumpy housewife ya know?

hmmm...that other one looks like a tent. Maybe I'll just hang out in my sweats or something.

Edited by doodlebug

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

No side slits -- at least not above the lower calf. Ankle length and no slits is best.

No cleavage -- no hint of "the line" (hat tip to JP :P ) so go with higher necklines.

No transparent, semi-transparent (thin) or clingy fabric.

No bare upper arms or shoulders -- sleeves should at least cover the elbow.

Don't worry about "looking like a housewife" -- this is considered normal clothing for even young women over there.

Happy shopping !

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.