doodlebug

honeymoon with the WHOLE family?

417 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Mohamed and I went to the pyramids, Sala'adin's citadel, the military museum, the citadel in Alex and I was never charged more than an Egyptian. We were never bothered by tourist police. Usually the tourist police only go after suspicious looking couples or men. The only time we were even asked was at the pyramids..the policeman asked Mohamed who I was and he said, my wife..that was that.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
On a side note I am dying to ride a camel. :innocent: Just thought of a new thread idea! lol

happy0194.gifThe Bedouin here give people (rather tourtists) camel rides near the western Algerien coast... my husband told me there are sooo expensive. My husband promised me amoung *other* :whistle: things to take me to the Sahara when I return. Unforuntely traveling south in Algerie takes a police report and premit ...as there are still terrorist here (hmmm but I am not worried... I know they will pay me randsum just so I would leave happy0198.gif) But seriously I want to ride a camel too... :P

And about that MENA men's face...snaps I see that face everytime we are walking in the street together... I call it "Donnot even think about looking at my wife" look...snaps I have even seen people here knife fight over men accidently looking to another men's wife... Snaps... I guess that is why all the men around here when they see me stare for a moment mouth opened then suddenly look to the ground happy0208.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
On a side note regarding cheaper if you're with an Egyptian... nope. Cost me 20 pounds, cost him 2 and he argued for what seemed an eternity. YES take your marriage papers!!!! If you don't your hubby will be harassed by every cop and "do-gooder" within 100 paces.

If you don't talk, and are dressed like Egyptians dress, then they mistake you for an Egyptian and give you the cheap price :whistle:

This works best for haggling too. I point out what I want and my husband does all the talking. I got like a badillion scarves for a $1 each, but had they known I was an american, the price would have quadrupled, at leaset.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Mohamed and I went to the pyramids, Sala'adin's citadel, the military museum, the citadel in Alex and I was never charged more than an Egyptian. We were never bothered by tourist police. Usually the tourist police only go after suspicious looking couples or men. The only time we were even asked was at the pyramids..the policeman asked Mohamed who I was and he said, my wife..that was that.

"Suspicious looking couples"???? Cripes.

I agree, rahma. Everyone just assumed I was Egyptian. I was in a restroom fixing my higab and a woman started speaking to me in Arabic. I turned to her and explained that I didn't understand everything she said. She said, oh I thought you were Egyptian. If you dress like them, keep quiet in the market areas, and let your man do the haggling you'll get the same price as an Egyptian.

On a side note regarding cheaper if you're with an Egyptian... nope. Cost me 20 pounds, cost him 2 and he argued for what seemed an eternity. YES take your marriage papers!!!! If you don't your hubby will be harassed by every cop and "do-gooder" within 100 paces.

If you don't talk, and are dressed like Egyptians dress, then they mistake you for an Egyptian and give you the cheap price :whistle:

This works best for haggling too. I point out what I want and my husband does all the talking. I got like a badillion scarves for a $1 each, but had they known I was an american, the price would have quadrupled, at leaset.

Timeline

Hmmm I get that here too... funny cos I donnot really see blue eyes Algeriens walking around :lol:

I agree, rahma. Everyone just assumed I was Egyptian. I was in a restroom fixing my higab and a woman started speaking to me in Arabic. I turned to her and explained that I didn't understand everything she said. She said, oh I thought you were Egyptian. If you dress like them, keep quiet in the market areas, and let your man do the haggling you'll get the same price as an Egyptian.

And about that MENA men's face...snaps I see that face everytime we are walking in the street together... I call it "Donnot even think about looking at my wife" look...snaps I have even seen people here knife fight over men accidently looking to another men's wife... Snaps... I guess that is why all the men around here when they see me stare for a moment mouth opened then suddenly look to the ground happy0208.gif

EVERYONE in Algeria stared at me when I was out in public... walking in town, driving in the car, eating dinner, etc etc. My husband tried his hardest to give everyone his best dirty look, but after two days he just stopped. He was exhausted!! And it never helped... people stared anyways! It doesn't help that I was a strawberry blonde in a sea of brown and black hair.. :lol: Actually, come to think of it, everyone stared at me in private too.... especially little cousins.. a few times I just wanted to go "...... WHAT?!?!?!?!"

Timeline

Donnot take it personally Holly..I am sure they were admiring you... I have dark hair but blue-green eyes so I am a rarity here...people stare and talk...funny cos I can understand most of what they are saying... (O man that is Ahmed's wife, where did she come from? etc) Most people outside of my family donnot know I am a foreigner here... and about the little cousins, also admiring you... you are a rarity to them... I actually have 3 "boyfriends" 3 little boys nephews of my husband..who just stare at me smiled and grin. One of them actually brings little gifts...and when I need something very quickly from the corner market, all I have to do is open my front door and call out Siiiiiiidaaaaaaaali...and he comes running... :lol:

EVERYONE in Algeria stared at me when I was out in public... walking in town, driving in the car, eating dinner, etc etc. My husband tried his hardest to give everyone his best dirty look, but after two days he just stopped. He was exhausted!! And it never helped... people stared anyways! It doesn't help that I was a strawberry blonde in a sea of brown and black hair.. :lol: Actually, come to think of it, everyone stared at me in private too.... especially little cousins.. a few times I just wanted to go "...... WHAT?!?!?!?!"

Timeline
Henia...

Do you find that Ahmed's family treats you more like one of them because you were married to an Arab once before and have a child who is Arab? I find that I was more accepted as "one of them" because of this.

I have found by me being what they call a *real* Muslim I have been accepted more. Ahmed has told the close family (like his half brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles) that I was married before to an arabe and have a arabe child...which for the most part they seem to not even take notice of...I have had a few people ask me if the father supports my daughter and what he thought of me remarrying... but of course you and I both know the answer to that :hehe: But I must say knowing many muslim and typical to all arabe countries's customs has helped me much ... like how to make and properly serve tea/coffee and how to call who in the family..(like my husband's mother's sister who is staying with us is amti)

Yeah I know what you mean about the "real" Muslim thing. The fact that I've been Muslim nearly 12 yrs and have Muslim children and what not means that I'm a "real" Muslim to them. They feel different about the women who become Muslim around the same time that they either meet or marry their husbands. My family feels more comfortable about my sons because they're Arab and Muslim. They have pics of my sons in their home. Everyone knows that I've been married and have children not only the immediate family. It's not an issue with them alhamdulilah.

Henia...

Do you find that Ahmed's family treats you more like one of them because you were married to an Arab once before and have a child who is Arab? I find that I was more accepted as "one of them" because of this.

I have found by me being what they call a *real* Muslim I have been accepted more. Ahmed has told the close family (like his half brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles) that I was married before to an arabe and have a arabe child...which for the most part they seem to not even take notice of...I have had a few people ask me if the father supports my daughter and what he thought of me remarrying... but of course you and I both know the answer to that :hehe: But I must say knowing many muslim and typical to all arabe countries's customs has helped me much ... like how to make and properly serve tea/coffee and how to call who in the family..(like my husband's mother's sister who is staying with us is amti)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Henia...

How does one "properly" make and serve tea?? :unsure:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

I had to show my passport! :( Anyway, doesn't matter because like I said as long as you're married to an Arab (doesn't have to be Egyptian-- just ME/NA) they give you the 'Arab price'. At least that's what they told us is how it's supposed to work... maybe someone was just trying to get some extra pocket money?

I did the same thing as far as talking to anyone... I have some Egyptian friends who warned me ahead of time to just smile and nod and let Yousuf do all the talking or I'd get price gouged. :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
How does one "properly" make and serve tea?? :unsure:

In Egypt, put the Lipton granuales in a glass, stir in lots of sugar and add some mint leaves. There's your tea. I never did like having the tea stuff floating around in my cup. Icky.

I'm a tea conasour, so I've got my specialty teapot and all my loose leaf teas flavored with rose hips and chunks of mango. What does my husband want? Lipton from a box :lol:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.