w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Cab drivers in Minneapolis refusing to pick up transgendered people and people carrying alcohol

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

In her bright pink hat, Paula Hare has found herself waiting on her stoop a lot lately, for taxi cabs that never come.

Not to avoid confusion, Paula even tells the taxi dispatcher she’s transgendred. But on three occasions when the taxi actually showed up, she says Muslim drivers have refused to give her a lift.

“This is more than just religion, it’s flat out discrimination,” hare said. “And we’ve got laws against that in this state.”

The city of Minneapolis says she’s right.

Of the nearly 2,000 taxis in the Twin Cities metro, estimates are as many as half the drivers are recent immigrants – many Muslim.

The culture clash is most apparent at Twin Cities international Airport, where two to three times a day, taxi drivers refuse a fare because someone is carrying a bottle of alcohol.

[...]

The city of Minneapolis is not making a compromise, saying if the passenger has alcohol, or is going to a liquor store, cabbies must still give them a ride.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pages...mp;pageId=1.1.1

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hmmmm I have met *every* cab driver who ever drives to the airport (as they needed to come through security badging the last few months) and Id say that at least 95% are from Somalia or Ethiopia, although many are now citizens. Count another 2% to Egyptians. I met about 7 American-born cab drivers... I can see how this could happen.

Im not really surprised... this will just be another chapter in the Minneapolis vs. African immigrant community clash.

In her bright pink hat, Paula Hare has found herself waiting on her stoop a lot lately, for taxi cabs that never come.

Not to avoid confusion, Paula even tells the taxi dispatcher she’s transgendred. But on three occasions when the taxi actually showed up, she says Muslim drivers have refused to give her a lift.

“This is more than just religion, it’s flat out discrimination,” hare said. “And we’ve got laws against that in this state.”

The city of Minneapolis says she’s right.

Of the nearly 2,000 taxis in the Twin Cities metro, estimates are as many as half the drivers are recent immigrants – many Muslim.

The culture clash is most apparent at Twin Cities international Airport, where two to three times a day, taxi drivers refuse a fare because someone is carrying a bottle of alcohol.

[...]

The city of Minneapolis is not making a compromise, saying if the passenger has alcohol, or is going to a liquor store, cabbies must still give them a ride.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pages...mp;pageId=1.1.1

Filed: Timeline

There's a good column on this subject in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:

Anyone who has read this column for any length of time knows I don't have much patience with religious fanatics. Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with people worshipping whatever they want, be it 200-year-old Middle Eastern holy books, Islam or Jim Beam -- just don't force your superstitions on the unfaithful.

But anymore, it seems few religious folks are willing to worship privately, and even fewer who don't feel that imposing their beliefs on others is some sort of spiritual duty.

Take the current crisis unfolding at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, for example.

Unlike Pittsburgh, Minnesota's twin cities are thriving places that attract lots of immigrants. Lately, a large number of the newcomers are devout Muslims who have arrived from Somalia.

For some unknown reason, recent immigrants who are often disastrously unfamiliar with the English language are unnaturally attracted to the job of taxi driver. About 75 percent of the 900 taxi drivers at Minneapolis-St. Paul are Somali Muslims, a group that recently decided to refuse fares to passengers carrying alcohol.

That's right. You just endured the indignities of airport security and a nine-hour Transatlantic flight and some self-righteous jerk can refuse you a taxi ride because of your duty-free bottle of Irish whiskey.

Airport officials are scrambling to find solutions to the problem. They're even considering mounting colored lights atop taxis who refuse to carry alcohol.

For atheists and others who feel faith is a private matter, this is scarier than mandatory public prayer sessions. Muslim extremists have recently used religious intimidation to stop the staging of a Mozart opera in Germany, the publication of allegedly blasphemous cartoons in newspapers around the world and now this.

I can only wonder what Christian extremists will do after they become emboldened by this act of mass arrogance. Will fundamentalist grocery store owners refuse to carry kosher products? Will they stop selling condoms and other birth control devices in Christian-controlled pharmacies?

Or will someone at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport tell these wannabe fanatics to keep their religion private or start looking for new jobs?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...y/s_473460.html

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Unlike Pittsburgh, Minnesota's twin cities are thriving places that attract lots of immigrants. Lately, a large number of the newcomers are devout Muslims who have arrived from Somalia.

Why do fanaticals continue to migrate to America?? This is one thing I will never understand about fanatical muslims. They hate the west and europe yet die to come to our countries.

This is why certain european countries are smart in the way of forcing new immigrants to take values tests. That is, they have to pass a test which ensures they understand the history, background and culture of the country.. Australia is also considering using such a test..

When I see ladies covered from head to shoulder with only their eyes exposed I think, why would you seriously migrate to a western nation...

Hence, based on the OP, I am not suprised this has hapened.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline
Why do fanaticals continue to migrate to America?? This is one thing I will never understand about fanatical muslims. They hate the west and europe yet die to come to our countries.

I was thinking, what if I moved to fictional country X and I got a job as a cab driver. In country X it is acceptable to say, get naked in a cab. I might not want them in my cab. I mean, unless they were hot... If you grow up with one set of morals, it takes a lot to change them.

Personally, I have a little bit more of a problem with the East Africans butchering their women's sexual organs than I do with them refusing alcohol in their cabs.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
That's right. You just endured the indignities of airport security and a nine-hour Transatlantic flight and some self-righteous jerk can refuse you a taxi ride because of your duty-free bottle of Irish whiskey.

I have a solution.

Always carry a bottle of Irish whiskey with you and refuse to ride with taxi drivers who

discriminate -- they'll be out of business in no time.

"You can't fire me, I quit."

:D

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Personally, I have a little bit more of a problem with the East Africans butchering their women's sexual organs than I do with them refusing alcohol in their cabs.

Well, isn't that the real fear here? People object to their objection because they fear other more drastic changes down the line.

Timeline
I was thinking, what if I moved to fictional country X and I got a job as a cab driver. In country X it is acceptable to say, get naked in a cab. I might not want them in my cab. I mean, unless they were hot... If you grow up with one set of morals, it takes a lot to change them.

Hi Alex, welcome back! :D

How was your trip?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Now, how can Minneapolis tell cab drivers WHO they HAVE to pick up? Is it not the cabdriver's choice whether (or not) to take/sacrifice the fare?

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Now, how can Minneapolis tell cab drivers WHO they HAVE to pick up? Is it not the cabdriver's choice whether (or not) to take/sacrifice the fare?

when the cab company's bottom $ starts to drop... I think the issue will resolve itself fairly quickly.

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Timeline

How was your trip?

Fabulous, except for all the dental adventures! Buenos Aires may possibly be the best place on Earth.

Now I'm in grey grey São Paulo, where each dental adventure (a visit every other day) costs me 70 dollars American. Ah well. At least I understand what the dentist is saying here.

Hahaha after reading that previous paragraph it is clear to me that my life is slowly being taken over by a pair of removed third molars. :(

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I have never lived close to Minneapolis but I heard the public transportation system there is quite poor. I don't see any realistic ways for Minneapolis to force cab drivers to take all passengers regardless of their faiths/genders preference, etc etc. One of the more plausible ways to tackle this is by creating more public transportation, such as buses, trains, etc which in turn will create 'competition' for these cabbies. When people have more choices on how they travel, these 'picky" cabbies will have to adjust or get out of the business. Just my opinions.

Edited by Garfield fan

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !

Timeline

How was your trip?

Fabulous, except for all the dental adventures! Buenos Aires may possibly be the best place on Earth.

Now I'm in grey grey São Paulo, where each dental adventure (a visit every other day) costs me 70 dollars American. Ah well. At least I understand what the dentist is saying here.

Hahaha after reading that previous paragraph it is clear to me that my life is slowly being taken over by a pair of removed third molars. :(

As in "if you grow up with one set of molars, it takes a lot to change them"? :P

Timeline

Well, isn't that the real fear here? People object to their objection because they fear other more drastic changes down the line.

It's not really down the line. They do it in Minneapolis already.

How was your trip?

As in "if you grow up with one set of molars, it takes a lot to change them"? :P

daaaayyyuuummmmmm someone is wearing their witty hat today.