Alawi

Naturalization

16 posts in this topic

Hello Everybody, i recieved letter for my N-400 today in the mail, i will have my interview May 21! i am filing based on 5 years resident, they are asking me to bring:1- This letter 2- Your Alien Registration Card 3- Any evidence of Selective Service Rgistartion!! i came to the US November 15 2006, and i was born on November 23 1980!! i dont know why they are asking me to bring poof of Selective Service in the application i said No!! i am confused can anyone help me with that? and also i got Document check list N-659 Naturalization do i'm requierd to bring all the documents what they ask for check list or its only for the people who they are filing 3 years with US spouse? at the appointment letter it says you must bring the following with your interview: 5 items 1- This letter 2- Green Card 3- Any Evidence of Selective Service Registration 4- Your Pasport and/ or any documents you used in connection with any entries into the United States. 5- Those items noted below which are applicable to you: IF APPLYING FOR NATURALIZATION AS THE SPOUSE OF THE UNITED STATES CITIZEN: 1- Your marriage certificate 2- Proof of death or divorce for each prior marriage pf your self or spouse 3- Your spouse's bith or naturlization certificate or certificate of citizenship, IF APPLYING FOR NATURLIZATION AS A MEMBER OF THE UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES: - Your discharge certificate, or form DD 214, please guys help me, and i am filling based omn 5 years and i got divorced and also sent the divorce degree with my application at first, do i have to take another copy thanks? :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello Everybody, i recieved letter for my N-400 today in the mail, i will have my interview May 21! i am filing based on 5 years resident, they are asking me to bring:1- This letter 2- Your Alien Registration Card 3- Any evidence of Selective Service Rgistartion!! i came to the US November 15 2006, and i was born on November 23 1980!! i dont know why they are asking me to bring poof of Selective Service in the application i said No!! i am confused can anyone help me with that? and also i got Document check list N-659 Naturalization do i'm requierd to bring all the documents what they ask for check list or its only for the people who they are filing 3 years with US spouse? at the appointment letter it says you must bring the following with your interview: 5 items 1- This letter 2- Green Card 3- Any Evidence of Selective Service Registration 4- Your Pasport and/ or any documents you used in connection with any entries into the United States. 5- Those items noted below which are applicable to you: IF APPLYING FOR NATURALIZATION AS THE SPOUSE OF THE UNITED STATES CITIZEN: 1- Your marriage certificate 2- Proof of death or divorce for each prior marriage pf your self or spouse 3- Your spouse's bith or naturlization certificate or certificate of citizenship, IF APPLYING FOR NATURLIZATION AS A MEMBER OF THE UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES: - Your discharge certificate, or form DD 214, please guys help me, and i am filling based omn 5 years and i got divorced and also sent the divorce degree with my application at first, do i have to take another copy thanks? :)

Bring the documents that apply to you and apply to your application which was with the 5 yr rule, correct? You cannot bring SS since you never did it because you weren't eligible so no worries there. Yes, bring a copy of everything you submitted (ie the divorce decree)...presumably you sent a copy and they are asking you to bring the originals. You are not applying based on marriage though so no need to bring the ex's documents

Oops - my math was bad - good question about the SS then - even if it was 5 days - perhas someone here could help - by the time he would have applied and it was processed he would have been 26

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Read this: http://www.uscis.gov...-0-0-33844.html

It is the guide that the Officers have to use while analyzing cases. You are over 31 right now, so you should not have any problems. I was in similar situation and my letter I got from Selective Service said that I was required to register, but I didn't. I was nervous before my interview, but I wasn't even asked about it. Make sure you contact the SSS immediately and request the Status Information Letter. On that letter, it will say if you were required to register or not. Take it to the interview. If the letter says that you were required to register, if I were you, I would disclose that the mistake was made on the form. I am not a lawyer and this is just my personal opinion. I was honest on my interview, I checked NO on one of the boxes, but during the interview I said that I had a speeding ticket, less than $500 and I put NO, but I had my doubts later. The Officer marked YES and had me initial the correction. I was recommended for approval on the spot.

Keep us informed.

Edited by kstrozyk

Wife's USCIS Journey

02-27-2012 Mailed I-130, I-485 and I-765 to Chicago by Priority Mail

02-29-2012 Post Office website shows as delivered

03-01-2012 USCIS received I-130, I-485 and I-765

03-05-2012 Received 3 text and 3 email receipt notifications

03-07-2012 $1,490 poorer - both checks cashed

03-12-2012 Received NOAs for all 3 applications

03-16-2012 Received Biometrics Notice for Apr. 2

03-19-2012 Successful Walkin Biometrics

04-09-2012 Received text/email about scheduled interview for May. 11

04-12-2012 Received a hard copy of an interview letter

05-04-2012 Received a notification "Card Production Ordered" for EAD.

05-09-2012 Received another notification "Card Production Ordered" for EAD.

05-10-2012 Received notification that EAD was mailed.

05-11-2012 AOS Interview at 12:30 no final decision

05-11-2012 Notification "Card production ordered" at 3:30 pm. APPROVED!!!!!!!

05-14-2012 Received EAD card in mail and I-130 approval notification

05-15-2012 Received hard copies of I-130 approval, welcome to USA letter and a notification that green card was sent

05-21-2012 Green Card Received!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-23-2012 Applied for SSN

***Counting down to RoC***

Read this: http://www.uscis.gov...-0-0-33844.html

It is the guide that the Officers have to use while analyzing cases. You are over 31 right now, so you should not have any problems. I was in similar situation and my letter I got from Selective Service said that I was required to register, but I didn't. I was nervous before my interview, but I wasn't even asked about it. Make sure you contact the SSS immediately and request the Status Information Letter. On that letter, it will say if you were required to register or not. Take it to the interview. If the letter says that you were required to register, if I were you, I would disclose that the mistake was made on the form. I am not a lawyer and this is just my personal opinion. I was honest on my interview, I checked NO on one of the boxes, but during the interview I said that I had a speeding ticket, less than $500 and I put NO, but I had my doubts later. The Officer marked YES and had me initial the correction. I was recommended for approval on the spot.

Keep us informed.

Hello thanks guys for the answer!! i am still confused about this Selective Service? i called the the USCIS and the man told me i have to speak to SSS, than i did called them and explain to them what's going on, she said thet enter the US couple days before i turned 26 years old i am required to register, i explain to her that i came to the US on K1 visa and i got my green card until 2007, than she said i have to fill out the form and make copy of the proof of visa and mail it to them than i will recieve letter from them to take it with me to the interview!! but in was told from a lot of people i dont have to register? a friend of mine came to the US on 2005 and we are in the same age and he never did and his American Citizen now and he never took anything with him to the interview from Selective Service? this is really confusing, thanks everyone.

Hello thanks guys for the answer!! i am still confused about this Selective Service? i called the the USCIS and the man told me i have to speak to SSS, than i did called them and explain to them what's going on, she said thet enter the US couple days before i turned 26 years old i am required to register, i explain to her that i came to the US on K1 visa and i got my green card until 2007, than she said i have to fill out the form and make copy of the proof of visa and mail it to them than i will recieve letter from them to take it with me to the interview!! but in was told from a lot of people i dont have to register? a friend of mine came to the US on 2005 and we are in the same age and he never did and his American Citizen now and he never took anything with him to the interview from Selective Service? this is really confusing, thanks everyone.

Your friend is totally different from you..Go ahead and do as the SSS rep mandated you so as to avoid any hinderance in your process. Also when you call SSS ask for a guy name Tim..very helpful snd excellent listener! Good luck

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Unless my math is wrong, you were 25 (even if only for a few days) when you got to the US, thus required to register.

Not necessarely, depends if he entered the US on an immigrant VISA at the time. K1 (assuming he came through marriage) is still a non-immigrant VISA so he's fine.

N-400 application timeline

02-22-2012-- (00): documents sent

02-23-2012-- (01): NOA date

02-27-2012-- (05): check cashed

03-02-2012-- (09): bio appointment notice sent, bio date 03-15 (23)

03-05-2012-- (12): bio notice received

03-06-2012-- (13): early bio

03-12-2012-- (19): in line for interview scheduling

03-21-2012-- (28): scheduled for interview

03-28-2012-- (35): interview notice received

05-02-2012-- (70): interview. Rec. for Approval!

05-16-2012-- (84): in line for oath scheduling

06-19-2012-(118): scheduled for oath

06-21-2012-(120): oath letter received

07-06-2012-(135): oath

Passport application timeline

07-10-2012-- (00): application sent (card+book/routine service)

07-17-2012-- (07): application status online

07-26-2012-- (16): application on hold (name too long)

07-28-2012-- (18): RFI Tucson passport center (proposed shortened name) letter received

07-30-2012-- (20): reply sent to Tucson passport center

08-18-2012-- (39): passport book received

08-21-2012-- (42): passport card received

08-21-2012-- (42): CON received

Not necessarely, depends if he entered the US on an immigrant VISA at the time. K1 (assuming he came through marriage) is still a non-immigrant VISA so he's fine.

Hello guys thanks for the response, i came to the US on K1 visa and i was almost turning 26 with 13 days!! and i became Permanent Resident on April 2007, i dont think i have to register for it i wasnt resident when i came to the US i was only on K-1 Visa, what do you guys think?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello guys thanks for the response, i came to the US on K1 visa and i was almost turning 26 with 13 days!! and i became Permanent Resident on April 2007, i dont think i have to register for it i wasnt resident when i came to the US i was only on K-1 Visa, what do you guys think?

Here is a helpful site, where you can also verify your SSS registration (if you were registered that is) securely.

http://www.sss.gov/default.htm

Make sure to take any relevant document with you that has to do with your prior Marriage (Yes, take another divorce decree copy), also take proof of your last 5 years of Tax filings, showing filings with dates. I know they don't mention them in the interview notice, but they do ask about them.

Good luck.

Here is a helpful site, where you can also verify your SSS registration (if you were registered that is) securely.

http://www.sss.gov/default.htm

Make sure to take any relevant document with you that has to do with your prior Marriage (Yes, take another divorce decree copy), also take proof of your last 5 years of Tax filings, showing filings with dates. I know they don't mention them in the interview notice, but they do ask about them.

Good luck.

Hi, i did checked the Selective Service and put my information there is anything it says that i did registerd or i have to? this is really confusing? i came as K1 visa and i turned 26 years 13 days later and i was still on K1 visa not permenent? and i became Permenent Resident on april 2007 i was already 26? thanks.

Timeline

Hello,

If you were in the US as an immigrant between the age of 18 and 26, you are required to register for selective service.

Since by that time you were on K1 (non immigrant), so I think that this does not apply to you.

I am telling you this because I got here when I was 26 years and 7 month on immigrant visa, and since I am preparing my N-400 as a courtesy, I contacted the SSS, they told me to fill an application for status and provide why I did not register and send a copy of my passport shows date I admitted and my birthday, as well as a photocopy of my GC.

After almost 14 days, I received a letter of status on the mail stating I was not required to register based on their record and the data I submitted.

Please go a head to http://www.sss.gov/Status.html and print the form, fill and with the required details and explaination why you did not register, send it in the mail with the supportive documents and you shall receive a letter soon that you can take with you if you want.

Hope that helps

Hi, i did checked the Selective Service and put my information there is anything it says that i did registerd or i have to? this is really confusing? i came as K1 visa and i turned 26 years 13 days later and i was still on K1 visa not permenent? and i became Permenent Resident on april 2007 i was already 26? thanks.

YA ALAH Bless Our Joureny To The End , Ameen

Je T'aime Till My Dying Day

Hello,

If you were in the US as an immigrant between the age of 18 and 26, you are required to register for selective service.

Since by that time you were on K1 (non immigrant), so I think that this does not apply to you.

I am telling you this because I got here when I was 26 years and 7 month on immigrant visa, and since I am preparing my N-400 as a courtesy, I contacted the SSS, they told me to fill an application for status and provide why I did not register and send a copy of my passport shows date I admitted and my birthday, as well as a photocopy of my GC.

After almost 14 days, I received a letter of status on the mail stating I was not required to register based on their record and the data I submitted.

Please go a head to http://www.sss.gov/Status.html and print the form, fill and with the required details and explaination why you did not register, send it in the mail with the supportive documents and you shall receive a letter soon that you can take with you if you want.

Hope that helps

Hello Guys, can anyone provide me with right answer please, i conctacted Selective Service and they told me i have to print form and sign it and mail it to them, and it might take 4 to 6 weeks to get the letter from them, 1 month from tomorrow i will have my interview what if i didnt get the letter by than? i am really confused and i dont think i am required to register when i came to the US as K1 visa and i turned 26 couple days later? i wasnt resident yet when i turned 26 what do u guys think? thanks everyone.

Timeline

4 to 6 weeks is the standard response that you will get.

I got it back 14 days from the date I send it via mail, (and the letter from the sss was dated 7 days prior to the date I received it), which means it took them 1 week to process it and put it in mail.

I understand your confusion and frustration with this. I would go a head and ask for status letter, and then wait for it, while I am positive you will get it back before your interview, but if not, nothing you can do rather than justifying why you did not register (IF ONLY YOU WERE ASKED AT THE INTERVIEW). If you were not asked, even better.

Worest case scenario, if they asked for explaination and did not take your word for it and you do not have the letter, they will wait on approving your application till they get what they want. (fair to mention that if the letter states you were required to register you might get denied). But according to the information at www.sss.gov:

No status information letters are required from the Selective Service System for :

Non-U.S. male on a valid non-immigrant visa

they gave an example of student visa, but everyone knows that K1 is non-immigrant visa.

If you were 26 or less when you became a resident, then you should have registered, after the 26 YOU ARE GOOD

But to relax and feel confident you have to take the step

Do not be paranoid and start working on it. This was my own experience and I have the letter with me.

prepare:

1: photocopy of your passport page where it shows date of admission to the US on a K1 non-immigrant visa

2: Photocopy of your GC (front and back) which will show the date you became a resident of the US (that according to you shows you as immigrand and a resident after your 26

3: fill the form, you will find fields asks you why you did not register, and what documents to prove your situation.

Send and set relaxed for your status letter.

Good luck

Hello Guys, can anyone provide me with right answer please, i conctacted Selective Service and they told me i have to print form and sign it and mail it to them, and it might take 4 to 6 weeks to get the letter from them, 1 month from tomorrow i will have my interview what if i didnt get the letter by than? i am really confused and i dont think i am required to register when i came to the US as K1 visa and i turned 26 couple days later? i wasnt resident yet when i turned 26 what do u guys think? thanks everyone.

YA ALAH Bless Our Joureny To The End , Ameen

Je T'aime Till My Dying Day

4 to 6 weeks is the standard response that you will get.

I got it back 14 days from the date I send it via mail, (and the letter from the sss was dated 7 days prior to the date I received it), which means it took them 1 week to process it and put it in mail.

I understand your confusion and frustration with this. I would go a head and ask for status letter, and then wait for it, while I am positive you will get it back before your interview, but if not, nothing you can do rather than justifying why you did not register (IF ONLY YOU WERE ASKED AT THE INTERVIEW). If you were not asked, even better.

Worest case scenario, if they asked for explaination and did not take your word for it and you do not have the letter, they will wait on approving your application till they get what they want. (fair to mention that if the letter states you were required to register you might get denied). But according to the information at www.sss.gov:

No status information letters are required from the Selective Service System for :

Non-U.S. male on a valid non-immigrant visa

they gave an example of student visa, but everyone knows that K1 is non-immigrant visa.

If you were 26 or less when you became a resident, then you should have registered, after the 26 YOU ARE GOOD

But to relax and feel confident you have to take the step

Do not be paranoid and start working on it. This was my own experience and I have the letter with me.

prepare:

1: photocopy of your passport page where it shows date of admission to the US on a K1 non-immigrant visa

2: Photocopy of your GC (front and back) which will show the date you became a resident of the US (that according to you shows you as immigrand and a resident after your 26

3: fill the form, you will find fields asks you why you did not register, and what documents to prove your situation.

Send and set relaxed for your status letter.

Good luck

Hi thanks man for the answer, i just mailed in my information to the Selective Service and hopefully i get it before my interview!! so do u think i will be fine at the interview with letter, what did u answerd on ur application for the selective service question YES or No? i did No because i was only on Visa not Permenent Residen!! thanks man.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.