g4indigo

Montreal interview question

18 posts in this topic

Do I get my passport with visa back on the same day? My interview will be on 9am.

I live in NYC so want to figure out if I can head back on the interview day. Thanks!

No, you don't get it returned the same day. You have to sign up for DHL/Loomis and then your visa gets sent to your DHL location of choice (within Canada). This can take between one day to more than 2 weeks, typically around a week though, depending on the DHL location and its distance from Montreal.

I have to ask, what visa are you applying for if you're living in the US? timeline.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do I get my passport with visa back on the same day? My interview will be on 9am.

I live in NYC so want to figure out if I can head back on the interview day. Thanks!

What type of VISA are you going for if you live in NYC? Not a K1 I presume.

DOH - already asked

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

No, you don't get it returned the same day. You have to sign up for DHL/Loomis and then your visa gets sent to your DHL location of choice (within Canada). This can take between one day to more than 2 weeks, typically around a week though, depending on the DHL location and its distance from Montreal.

I have to ask, what visa are you applying for if you're living in the US? timeline.gif

What type of VISA are you going for if you live in NYC? Not a K1 I presume.

DOH - already asked

According to the OPs other posts in the Canada forum they are going for a spousal visa.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

According to the OPs other posts in the Canada forum they are going for a spousal visa.

Well, they can't be living in the US then... Perhaps just "visiting for an extended stay" would be the more appropriate term...

Timeline

Well, they can't be living in the US then... Perhaps just "visiting for an extended stay" would be the more appropriate term...

They could be.. not legally or anything mind you! which would be an issue at the time of interview wouldn't it?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

They could be.. not legally or anything mind you! which would be an issue at the time of interview wouldn't it?

Yeah, I can't think of any legal way they'd be living in the US and applying for a spousal visa. It'd definitely be an issue at the interview as they'd see the beneficiary's current address is in the US. Which is why I'm hoping the OP meant they were just visiting NYC for an extended time and not actually living there, as those are two big differences.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Register yourself on this site for the DHL/Loomis PP delivery. Before you can enter into MTL consulate, they will ask for the reference ID. This Reference ID will be generated once you create your login on this site.

http://usvisa-info.com/en-CA/selfservice/login

Filed: Timeline

That is bad news.

I am currently on TN1 visa. My wife is US citizen.

Sounds like I will stuck in Canada...

That is bad news.

I am currently on TN1 visa. My wife is US citizen.

Sounds like I will stuck in Canada...

Ah, you're on a TN-1. That explains a few things. Couldn't you just Adjust Status from within the US, being married to a USC and all?

And yeah, you'll be in Canada for a bit. I'd suggest choosing the Dorval DHL location (closest one to consulate). I choose this one and got my visa and passport within 3 days. If you have any friends in Montreal, I'd suggest asking if you can stay with them. Otherwise, find a cheap hotel...

Ah, you're on a TN-1. That explains a few things. Couldn't you just Adjust Status from within the US, being married to a USC and all?

And yeah, you'll be in Canada for a bit. I'd suggest choosing the Dorval DHL location (closest one to consulate). I choose this one and got my visa and passport within 3 days. If you have any friends in Montreal, I'd suggest asking if you can stay with them. Otherwise, find a cheap hotel...

Thanks!

I have selected DHL Branch. On the website, it says:

Applicant was successfully updated.

Please note that you have not scheduled an appointment. The trip purpose you have selected is for information purposes only. In order to schedule an appointment you will need to select another trip purpose by clicking "Schedule Appointment" at the bottom of the page.

NVC scheduled my interview already and I have the letter. I should ignore above, right?

TN-1 + 485 is very dangerous. TN-1 cannot be extended after filing 485. Consular processing it safe.

I might be able to get passport back sooner.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/supplements/MTL-SUP-ENGL-0009-1011.pdf

end of 3rd page

If you currently reside in the U.S, on a non-immigrant visa, you may be able to pick up your passport with visa and visa packet in the afternoon of the next business day after your interview.

Edited by g4indigo

Thanks!

I have selected DHL Branch. On the website, it says:

Applicant was successfully updated.

Please note that you have not scheduled an appointment. The trip purpose you have selected is for information purposes only. In order to schedule an appointment you will need to select another trip purpose by clicking "Schedule Appointment" at the bottom of the page.

NVC scheduled my interview already and I have the letter. I should ignore above, right?

Yup, just ignore that message. Since NVC scheduled your interview, it's normal. It was the exact same thing for me yes.gif

TN-1 + 485 is very dangerous. TN-1 cannot be extended after filing 485. Consular processing it safe.

Ahh, didn't know that. I know nothing about TN-1 visas :P

http://travel.state....L-0009-1011.pdf

end of 3rd page

If you currently reside in the U.S, on a non-immigrant visa, you may be able to pick up your passport with visa and visa packet in the afternoon of the next business day after your interview.

Oh, that does look promising. I'd definitely ask about that at the interview. Mention you live in the US and were hoping to pick up your visa/passport the next day.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/supplements/MTL-SUP-ENGL-0009-1011.pdf

end of 3rd page

Definitely worth asking when they grant you the visa. But you will need the Loomis/DHL notice to get past the first door.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.