I AM NOT THAT GUY

Does your right to know trump Zimmerman's right to a fair trial?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Media ask to have Zimmerman court papers unsealed

(CNN) -- News media organizations, including CNN, asked a Florida judge Monday to reverse an order sealing court records in the prosecution of George Zimmerman.

Prosecutors did not object when Zimmerman's attorneys asked Seminole Circuit Judge Jessica Recksiedler to seal records last week. The judge ordered the court filings and other records sealed "without giving the public and press an opportunity to oppose closure," the media motion said.

Florida law requires a judge to consider whether the records closure is needed to "prevent a serious and imminent threat" to justice, the motion argued.

The court must also find that there is no alternative to sealing the records that would provide a fair trial and that the action would not be "broader than necessary to accomplish this purpose," it said.

Zimmerman's attorneys did not address those issues or present any evidence, the motion said.

"In case after case in Florida, courts -- including the United States Supreme Court -- have held that prominence and publicity are not synonymous with preju[d]ice and impartiality, and have cautioned against assuming that all potential jurors follow the news and retain what they read and watch," the media filing says.

Jurors who can't set aside their biases created by exposure to pretrial publicity can be screened out during the jury selection process, the media motion argued.

CNN joined several newspaper and broadcasting companies, including the publisher of USA Today, The Miami Herald and The New York Times, in the effort to unseal the documents.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/16/justice/florida-teen-shooting/?hpt=us_c2

Edited by ☼

So, what Zimmerman's lawyers are saying is that the records show that his self-defense claim is questionable? Because if it were as clear-cut a case of self defense as the gun swinging crowd claims, then what are they afraid of? If anything, it would sway any jury in their favor. Something damning appears to be hidden there somewhere.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

So, what Zimmerman's lawyers are saying is that the records show that his self-defense claim is questionable? Because if it were as clear-cut a case of self defense as the gun swinging crowd claims, then what are they afraid of? If anything, it would sway any jury in their favor. Something damning appears to be hidden there somewhere.

Yep. Also, Zimmerman has talked publicly to the press, without even consulting his lawyers. Sounds like either his lawyer is now trying contain the damage or Zimmerman wants to control what the press reports (his version of the story and nothing else).

Sounds like either his lawyer is now trying contain the damage or Zimmerman wants to control what the press reports (his version of the story and nothing else).

Oh, I see. He's not as concerned about an unbiased jury but rather wants to foster the bias that works in his favor. Aren't the people as entitled to an unbiased jury as the defendant?

The guy has practically been lynched by the media despite the police releasing generally favorable information from the night of the incident. I think this makes sense.

The guy killed a kid. He gets to tell his side of the story but the people don't get to tell theirs? How is an unbiased jury possible then?

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

The guy killed a kid. He gets to tell his side of the story but the people don't get to tell theirs? How is an unbiased jury possible then?

One interview against hundreds of articles and reports making claims that he is racist using conjecture and bad editing....

Then you have the jury itself to think about. Apparently after the Anthony case, jurors had to go into hiding.

One interview against hundreds of articles and reports making claims that he is racist using conjecture and bad editing....

Then you have the jury itself to think about. Apparently after the Anthony case, jurors had to go into hiding.

If you're trying to make me feel sorry for the killer, you're wasting your time. The kid he killed in cold blood didn't get a jury. Or a judge. Or his day in court. He got a bullet and box and six feet of soil on top of him. Just because he went for some skittles and crossed paths with this armed wannabe cop psychopath.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

I really don't care what you think - you are terribly biased to the left as much so as other posters are to the right in this forum.

If the right to life is a left issue, then yes, I am as left as they come. You can call me biased all you want, the record of stand your ground is fairly clear. Many people that shouldn't be dead are six feet under and their cold blooded killers are walking the streets. I'd rather they'd be six feet under or at least locked up so I don't have to worry about them. They ought to lock Zimmerman up - he's a dangerous individual. Chances are, he'll kill again if they let him walk.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

If the right to life is a left issue, then yes, I am as left as they come. You can call me biased all you want, the record of stand your ground is fairly clear. Many people that shouldn't be dead are six feet under and their cold blooded killers are walking the streets. I'd rather they'd be six feet under or at least locked up so I don't have to worry about them. They ought to lock Zimmerman up - he's a dangerous individual. Chances are, he'll kill again if they let him walk.

In at least 3 different cases, you've claimed defendants are "cold blooded" or "psychos" when the facts do not support those claims. When I start to see stereotyping, I know a person is biased.

Edited by Sousuke

If you're trying to make me feel sorry for the killer, you're wasting your time. The kid he killed in cold blood didn't get a jury. Or a judge. Or his day in court. He got a bullet and box and six feet of soil on top of him. Just because he went for some skittles and crossed paths with this armed wannabe cop psychopath.

I'm guessing you just fell of the last box car eh? It's common procedure to file a motion like this when the media has lied and made this case something that it's not. Media exposure in regards to the jury is a big thing...or didn't you know that?

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

In at least 3 different cases, you've claimed defendants are "cold blooded" or "psychos" when the facts do not support those claims. When I start to see stereotyping, I know a person is biased.

Three different cases? I've only talked about two senseless murders including the cold blooded murder of this teenager by a psycho wannabe cop. You've gotta get yer ducks in a row, man.

I'm guessing you just fell of the last box car eh? It's common procedure to file a motion like this when the media has lied and made this case something that it's not. Media exposure in regards to the jury is a big thing...or didn't you know that?

What is the defendant doing giving interviews, then? Either you keep it zipped and nobody talks or the people get to have their day in the open same as the defendant.

Three different cases? I've only talked about two senseless murders including the cold blooded murder of this teenager by a psycho wannabe cop. You've gotta get yer ducks in a row, man.

What is the defendant doing giving interviews, then? Either you keep it zipped and nobody talks or the people get to have their day in the open same as the defendant.

Zimmerman was being an idiot that's why. You never ever say anything other than what your attorney tells you to say and who to say it to.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."