azar

Police Clearance from other countries you worked in???

32 posts in this topic

when my wife was going through all that, she had lived in Indonesia for just under a year. I called the US Embassy explaining to them that Indonesia requires one to appear in person to get that clearance. I asked them what to do...

Did she work in Indonesia? Live there? Or was she just on a tourist visa?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

How is this applicable to being a tourist for more than 6 months in one country? Still need to get clearance?

While a tourist did you LIVE in another country for 6 months or more?? :whistle: Pretty straight forward simple to figure out.

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

While a tourist did you LIVE in another country for 6 months or more?? :whistle: Pretty straight forward simple to figure out.

the term "live" is so general for me. i wouldn't have bothered asking if it was "pretty straight forward simple to figure out"

is this a forum or not??

my question just warrants a simple yes or no. does being a tourist qualify as "living in a different country"? if that's too much of a bother, i'd rather not get cryptic responses. :innocent:

:ot2:

Edited by ivyanddan

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

If she LIVED in another country more than 6 months, then yes, she has to have the police clearance! It is simple and straight-forward. If she was a tourist there more than 6 months, she lived there. if she worked there more than 6 months, then she lived there. If she got lost when visiting there and couldn't find her way home again more than 6 months then she lived there. If she visited and then got sick there and couldn't leave for more than 6 months then she lived there. If she got in a coma and was hospitalized and did not wake up again until after 6 months, then she lived there. What cant you understand about "lived" there? If she DIED there, then you wouldnt be getting married. So she didn't die there. She lived there. She ate there, she drank there, she walked there, she breathed there, she LEFT there after 6 months. She LIVED there! Move on....

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

the term "live" is so general for me. i wouldn't have bothered asking if it was "pretty straight forward simple to figure out"

is this a forum or not??

my question just warrants a simple yes or no. does being a tourist qualify as "living in a different country"? if that's too much of a bother, i'd rather not get cryptic responses. :innocent:

yup its a forum and LIVING some where is a pretty simple concept, and the embassy is pretty clear.... if you LIVED there for 6 months or more, whether you arrived on a work visa or tourist visa doesn't matter... did you eat, sleep, and reside there?

If you have issue with my response... other posters don't understand your not comprehending what lives means also:

If she LIVED in another country more than 6 months, then yes, she has to have the police clearance! It is simple and straight-forward. If she was a tourist there more than 6 months, she lived there. if she worked there more than 6 months, then she lived there. If she got lost when visiting there and couldn't find her way home again more than 6 months then she lived there. If she visited and then got sick there and couldn't leave for more than 6 months then she lived there. If she got in a coma and was hospitalized and did not wake up again until after 6 months, then she lived there. What cant you understand about "lived" there? If she DIED there, then you wouldnt be getting married. So she didn't die there. She lived there. She ate there, she drank there, she walked there, she breathed there, she LEFT there after 6 months. She LIVED there! Move on....

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

FINALLY!!!!

The responses I've been asking for... For a while there, I thought I stumbled into a Contest for Best Cryptic Response. :whistle:

Thank you very much. B-)

yup its a forum and LIVING some where is a pretty simple concept, and the embassy is pretty clear.... if you LIVED there for 6 months or more, whether you arrived on a work visa or tourist visa doesn't matter... did you eat, sleep, and reside there?

If you have issue with my response... other posters don't understand your not comprehending what lives means also:

Audre Lorde

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes you do need a police Clearance from any Country you lived in for more than 6 Months. However if you ever lived/worked in the UAE{Dubai, Kuwait, Arab Countrys) you do not need a Police certificate. My Fiancee just had her Interview 2 Months ago and she worked in Dubai for 10 Months in 2005.the LAdy CO never asked her for it neither the Filipina Pre screener. WWW.Travel.State.Gov

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

is this a forum or not??

OP - I am sorry that you got dumped on for having an honest question and then got the run around and a bunch of non answers in your responses.

This forum is about helping others not making someone feel bad if they don't understand something the way you do. Cut the guy a break. Not everything was so obvious when we were all starting out. I also don't think his question warranted such *duh* responses. If I spent 6 months on vacation someplace I wouldn't tell people I had 'lived' there. If you are not in a USCIS mindset it could be a confusing question. Not to mention that some people cannot get police clearances if they did not have resident status in a country (Malaysia for ex.) which can make the requirement seem confusing.

Yes you do need a police Clearance from any Country you lived in for more than 6 Months. However if you ever lived/worked in the UAE{Dubai, Kuwait, Arab Countrys) you do not need a Police certificate. My Fiancee just had her Interview 2 Months ago and she worked in Dubai for 10 Months in 2005.the LAdy CO never asked her for it neither the Filipina Pre screener. WWW.Travel.State.Gov

Just to clarify former residents of UAE, Kuwait and KSA have the police clearance requirement waived but other GCC countries like Qatar and Bahrain do not waive the requirement. It is best to check the reciprocity table for your specific country before proceeding and not to assume all Arab countries are waived from the police requirement. Requirements also change over time and a few years ago you did need a clearance from UAE.

Timeline

OP - I am sorry that you got dumped on for having an honest question and then got the run around and a bunch of non answers in your responses.

This forum is about helping others not making someone feel bad if they don't understand something the way you do. Cut the guy a break. Not everything was so obvious when we were all starting out. I also don't think his question warranted such *duh* responses. If I spent 6 months on vacation someplace I wouldn't tell people I had 'lived' there. If you are not in a USCIS mindset it could be a confusing question. Not to mention that some people cannot get police clearances if they did not have resident status in a country (Malaysia for ex.) which can make the requirement seem confusing.

Just to clarify former residents of UAE, Kuwait and KSA have the police clearance requirement waived but other GCC countries like Qatar and Bahrain do not waive the requirement. It is best to check the reciprocity table for your specific country before proceeding and not to assume all Arab countries are waived from the police requirement. Requirements also change over time and a few years ago you did need a clearance from UAE.

Thanks for the Clarification Beejay!:thumbs:

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

The reciprocity tables help, but there appear to be countries that are still ambiguous, There was a thread recently about Jordan. The table states that police reports are available for resident foreigners. The question was, what if someone left the country. The table says there are no established paths to get it from outside the country. Is that saying there are NO ways? So I wish there was a USCIS or NVC website that would list the countries you need it from, and the paths to get it!

My fiancé lived in Kuwait and Thailand. It took me months to get the answer that she would be waived from the Kuwait one. At least in the table Kuwait clearly states that she is not entitled to get a police report.

So anyway, yes, any country you lived in, no matter what the circumstances, you must either get a police report, or make sure it's a country that is waved.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The reciprocity tables help, but there appear to be countries that are still ambiguous, There was a thread recently about Jordan. The table states that police reports are available for resident foreigners. The question was, what if someone left the country. The table says there are no established paths to get it from outside the country. Is that saying there are NO ways? So I wish there was a USCIS or NVC website that would list the countries you need it from, and the paths to get it!

My fiancé lived in Kuwait and Thailand. It took me months to get the answer that she would be waived from the Kuwait one. At least in the table Kuwait clearly states that she is not entitled to get a police report.

So anyway, yes, any country you lived in, no matter what the circumstances, you must either get a police report, or make sure it's a country that is waved.

Correct. This happened to me. I managed to get a certificate from GID in Jordan as I have worked and lived there for four years. The interviewer asked for it and I am glad to have it. Better to research on how to obtain it than getting a 221G or getting delayed.

Timeline

I hope i will not get any 221G for this police certificate :(

I worked in japan for 5 months and 4 days (4/16/08-10/13/08).. some said that the CO still consider it as 6 mons and still have to get the police cert, some said i dont have to and its obviously less than 6 mons.. i still applied at the japan embassy and they said it will take 2-3mons huhuhu.. ill be having my interview next week :(

K-1 Visa
consulate : Manila PH
06/23/2011: Met online
08/13/2011: Met in person MNL, PH 1st visit
11/01/2011: Fiancé 2nd Visit in PH
USCIS
12/26/2011: 1-129f sent / Pregnancy test Positive (5 weeks preggy) smile.png
01/04/2012: NOA1 APPROVED
05/30/2012: NOA2 APPROVED
147 DAYS FROM NOA1
06/06/2012: Fiancé 3rd visit in PH, met baby in tummy (29 weeks preggy) smile.png
NVC
06/25/2012: Called NVC for case status/number (Still not in their system huhu.. )
06/26/2012: NOA2 copy sent to nvcresearch@state.gov
07/02/2012: Got MNL case number by phone inquiry
32 DAYS FROM NOA2
USEM
07/02/2012: Paid visa at BPI bank
07/03/2012: Scheduled interview date
07/05/2012: 1st day of Medical at St. Lukes
07/06/2012: 2nd day of Medical (cleared yehey!)
07/12/2012: Interview PASSED yeheeey!! TY LORD!!
10 DAYS FROM MNL CASE Number
VISA & CFO
07/18/2012: USEM requested additional docs (ITR08-09-10) delays sad.png
07/19/2012: Fiance sent requested docs via email
07/20/2012: CFO Seminar at Cubao, Quezon City
07/24/2012: Visa picked up at US embassy Manila
07/25/2012: CFO certificate and sticker
13 DAYS FROM Interview date
07/28/2012: Fly to Hawaii!!

June 5, 2013: AOS/AP package sent. chicago lockbox via usps

June 10, 2013: check encashed

June 13, 2013: received NOA I-797C for AOS and AP

June 19, 2013: received biometrics appointment notice (july 15, 2013)

July 5, 2013: walkin biometrics success! ASC Honolulu, Hawaii

July 12, 2013: AP approved

July 19, 2013: AP received by mail.

Timeline

The rules say 6 months! If they ask for it, I would stand firm and not even tell them at first that you have applied for it. If they find out, they will probably wait to issue your visa.

If they ask, so you weren't in Japan for six months, so you don't need one!

6 months is 6 months, that's why they state that. They shouldn't require one from you, as you were clearly there only five months!

Timeline

oh sorry i miscalculate it.. i was there 5 months and 27 days, :(

thanks Mogambi. i renewed my passport just last mon, but i can show them the one with my entry pass to japan that shows the exact date. yeah i will not tell them that i applied for police cert.. i will wait them to ask. :)

K-1 Visa
consulate : Manila PH
06/23/2011: Met online
08/13/2011: Met in person MNL, PH 1st visit
11/01/2011: Fiancé 2nd Visit in PH
USCIS
12/26/2011: 1-129f sent / Pregnancy test Positive (5 weeks preggy) smile.png
01/04/2012: NOA1 APPROVED
05/30/2012: NOA2 APPROVED
147 DAYS FROM NOA1
06/06/2012: Fiancé 3rd visit in PH, met baby in tummy (29 weeks preggy) smile.png
NVC
06/25/2012: Called NVC for case status/number (Still not in their system huhu.. )
06/26/2012: NOA2 copy sent to nvcresearch@state.gov
07/02/2012: Got MNL case number by phone inquiry
32 DAYS FROM NOA2
USEM
07/02/2012: Paid visa at BPI bank
07/03/2012: Scheduled interview date
07/05/2012: 1st day of Medical at St. Lukes
07/06/2012: 2nd day of Medical (cleared yehey!)
07/12/2012: Interview PASSED yeheeey!! TY LORD!!
10 DAYS FROM MNL CASE Number
VISA & CFO
07/18/2012: USEM requested additional docs (ITR08-09-10) delays sad.png
07/19/2012: Fiance sent requested docs via email
07/20/2012: CFO Seminar at Cubao, Quezon City
07/24/2012: Visa picked up at US embassy Manila
07/25/2012: CFO certificate and sticker
13 DAYS FROM Interview date
07/28/2012: Fly to Hawaii!!

June 5, 2013: AOS/AP package sent. chicago lockbox via usps

June 10, 2013: check encashed

June 13, 2013: received NOA I-797C for AOS and AP

June 19, 2013: received biometrics appointment notice (july 15, 2013)

July 5, 2013: walkin biometrics success! ASC Honolulu, Hawaii

July 12, 2013: AP approved

July 19, 2013: AP received by mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.