TFlesgoo

No Temporary GC applied for Permanent GC

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone!!

I've enjoyed your forums and it has helped my wife and I a lot, so Thank You!!

My meeting is this week so we are very excited. I was hoping someone can help us out with our situation please..

We met in college and fell in love after dating for a year n half we got married. I never ended up filling for my temporary green card because I was in the country legally and was tight on cash since we are young. But after getting married we only lived together for about 8 months because my wife lost her job and had to move to Hawaii and I stayed in Florida for school. After Hawaii she got a great job offer in Indiana working for her mom's friends company and she has been there ever since. I actually have been in Florida and we decided to apply for my Permanent Green Card since we have been married longer thn 2 years. My question is if we are going to have problems going into the interview since we haven't really seen each other that often because it is very expensive to travel and money is really tight. But we have thousands of picture of us before marriage and after we moved in together. Like fraternity socials, travel trips, when I visited her parents and etc... We don't own anything together or any bills, but my cell phone is under her name since she has way better credit thn mine :)

I was hoping anyone can give us any pointers or help please???

Thank You!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

What assets do you have together? Is their a joint bank account, life or health insurance, etc? You should have something in both your names. That can be a red flag. Should your petition be approved, you would get a 10 year GC. All the best.

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The fact that you have been married for over two years but have cohabited for only 8 months will definitely be an issue at your green card interview (which you will both be required to attend). Sometimes sh!t happens, and people need to be separated from each other for extended periods of time. That's life. Unfortunately, you have to prove to an immigration officer that you have a bona fide marriage, and that's difficult to do when you don't share a home or co-mingle your assets and expenses. The IO is going to look at evidence, and you have very little to show. There may be perfectly valid reasons for your separation, but the IO could also view this as evidence that this is a marriage of convenience. They may also view your delay in filing adjustment of status as an attempt to circumvent the conditional permanent resident requirement.

Do you have proof that you've stayed in constant and regular contact with each other while you've been separated? Do you have solid evidence that the separation was unavoidable? Has she visited you or have you visited her since she moved to Indiana? The expense excuse won't work for that because you can drive from Indiana to Florida (or vice versa) in one long day for the cost of a few tanks of gas. They would expect a sincere married couple would do that as often as possible.

If I were you I would expect a bumpy ride.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't imagine this kind of situation...I love my wife way too much to have allowed that kind of separation. Losing a job is reason to seperate for a couple years? If this was my wife and I we would have done what it took to stay together...she would have looked for a job in Florida until she found one, or if she found one too good to turn down in Indiana I would have transferred to do school there or put school on hold...

It's hard to prove you married for love when you have been married at least over two years...how long exactly you haven't said...and only been together for eight months of that...

Truly baffling, and I would definitely expect huge red flags in the IO.

July 2005 - met my awesome, hot, amazing love in Lousiana.
July 2006 - Married said love and moved to Canada.
June 2011 - Entered US to visit family, decided to stay.
Feb. 2012 - Sent paperwork to Chicago.

May 2012 - Received green card.

Day 0 - Package sent to Chicago Lockbox - 02/27/2012
Day 2 - UPS Tracking Confirmation - 02/29/2012
Day 4 - NOA Emails Received - 03/02/2012
Day 7 - All Checks Cashed - 03/05/2012
Day 11 - Hard Copy NOA's Received - 03/09/2012
Day 11 - Biometrics Appointment Received - 03/09/2012
--------- - Booked for - 04/03/2012 (day 36)
Day 35 - Early Biometricts Walk-in - 04/02/2012
Day 44 - Received Appointment Letter - 04/11/2012
Day 58 - EAD Approval Online - 04/25/2012
Day 63 - EAD in the mail - 04/30/2012
Day 65 - EAD in hand - 05/02/2012
Day 77 - AOS Interview - 05/14/2012
Day 77 - AOS Approved!
Day 84 - Green Card In Hand - 05/21/2012

i too would have a tough time for that long without my wife.

i do understand the reasons behind your story though.

but put yourself in the IOs shoes and ask if this appears like a bona fide marriage.

pictures are good starting point but wont be enough.

what are your future plans?

you mention "i was" in the country legally.

if you are not out of status yet it may be better to wait till you guys are moving together again.

i am guessing this is not the case but as its not mentioned explicitly better to double check.

i was just checking the definition of marriage (obviously this has NO relevance from an immigration point of view) and, as mentioned, there are special circumstances but to the outsider, yours is a difficult "sales pitch"...

From Merriam Webster

"- the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law

-: the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage"

best of luck!

21/2 - received NOA in mail for all 4 (130/485/765/131)

23/3 - biometrics scheduled -> did "early" walk-in on 21 March

06/4 - received email update, interview scheduled for 7th May

27/4 - received EAD

08/5 - email: approval one day after interview (7th May)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.