Sveta & Ron

background

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We did the CR-1 but I assume it is similar. The CO told us they knew all about me because they 'did their research just before the interview"

So I'm going to assume that before the interview, they look into the immigrants background

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

i was wondering at what point would sveta's background be looked into? uscis, nvc, ??? or just before interview

There is really no reason to conduct a background check until all the qualifying paperwork has been submitted. It would be a waste of resource to do the background check early when the petitioner and beneficiary have not shown they qualify for a visa.

For example; if you provide an I-134 without meeting the poverty line, the case would be automatically denied. No reason to do the background check before you get all your ducks in a row.

The US Embassy/Consulate doing the interview are in the best position to do a background check. The US Embassy in the Ukraine is better able to do the background check than someone in the US. The US Embassy has the location, language skills, same time zone, familiarities with local customs and regulations, etc. to do a much better job than anyone at the NVC or USCIS.

For those who background checks are not done by the time the interview occurs, they are put into Administrative Processing (AP).

Sveta's background check will begin when the US Embassy in the Ukraine gets her file.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i was wondering at what point would sveta's background be looked into? uscis, nvc, ??? or just before interview

ALL of the above, plus AOS, RoC and citizenship.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

There is really no reason to conduct a background check until all the qualifying paperwork has been submitted. It would be a waste of resource to do the background check early when the petitioner and beneficiary have not shown they qualify for a visa.

For example; if you provide an I-134 without meeting the poverty line, the case would be automatically denied. No reason to do the background check before you get all your ducks in a row.

The US Embassy/Consulate doing the interview are in the best position to do a background check. The US Embassy in the Ukraine is better able to do the background check than someone in the US. The US Embassy has the location, language skills, same time zone, familiarities with local customs and regulations, etc. to do a much better job than anyone at the NVC or USCIS.

For those who background checks are not done by the time the interview occurs, they are put into Administrative Processing (AP).

Sveta's background check will begin when the US Embassy in the Ukraine gets her file.

Wrong. It begins when the adjudicator opens the file and puts her info into the computerized system of checks. It will be checked again at NVC and the consulate.

Interesting supposition, but I am not guessing.

It is "Ukraine" not "the Ukraine"

We did the CR-1 but I assume it is similar. The CO told us they knew all about me because they 'did their research just before the interview"

So I'm going to assume that before the interview, they look into the immigrants background

Good luck

The consulate did THEIR research just before the interview. USCIS and NVC had already done theirs.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

during the entire process. At different times, even up to the application for AOS and eventual citizenship

Feb 3, 2012 - I129F sent
Feb 6, 2012 - NoA1 Received
August 22, 2012 - NoA2 ( 198 days!!!!!)
Sept 6, 2012 - NVC Received Case
Sept 10, 2012 - London Received Case
Sept 15, 2012 - Packet 3 Received
Sept 20, 2012 - Medical
Oct 5, 2012 - All forms sent to the embassy
Nov 5, 2012 - Interview
Nov 5, 2012 - Administrative Processing crying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifranting33va.gifcray5ol.gif

Love conquers all.

Timeline

so uscis and nvc does background check on sveta also?

Yes. Absolutely, AND on you. So that you do not feel left out. :lol: The FIRST thing the adjudicator does when they pull out your file is to enter your information and Sveta's into the background check and run that as they look through the other documents you sent. They go down their checklist. If everything is there they check the response on your background check, if it is OK they attach it to your folder and drop it in the "approved" box. About 15 minutes after they handled it for the first time. If there is a "hit" it goes into the "manual background check" box and they do a manual backgorund check which can take 1 day or ....???? The FBI has an office at the USCIS service center (it was pretty well publicized they had done this to speed the manual background checks even though some people seem to think USCIS does not do any :wacko: )

All of this is covered in the pinned topic at the top of the page where a supervisor at VSC informs me of the procedures there. No secret, USCIS does background checks.

For citizenship they actually do TWO background checks(unless you have your citizenship oath the same day as your interview)

If Sveta even gets a traffic a citation (and is convicted)she will need to attach documentation and explain it for the citizenship. They will not disqualify her for a speeding ticket, but they do want the documentation.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

i had read somewhere background checks done using finger prints how they do this since none was taken yet or is it only if a hit is made

They CAN request you, the petitioner, to submit fingerprints if they need you to. Not likely. Sveta's fingerprints will be collected at several times, first time at the consulate interview, but these are used for identification, not background checks. To make sure the woman that shows for the AOS is the same woman they issued the visa to, etc. Her last fingerprints will be taken at the citizenship interview.

This is the part they call "biometrics"

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.