pjreb

confused where to start

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hello people....new to the board...really overwhelmed with all this information....

my story is met a girl from kazan, russia last summer..she went back to russia and came back this summer via work/study program....went back to russia to finish her school and will wait to file for k-1 visa and then live happily ever after !

really glad to find more people in a similar situation like me !

anyways...my question is i saw the timelines listed for the embassy in russia...if i read it right..it takes approximately 5-6 months from start to finish?

i have hired a lawyer for this process but still want to know everything..would appreciate help on where to start reading specifically about russia

thanks in advance

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
hello people....new to the board...really overwhelmed with all this information....

my story is met a girl from kazan, russia last summer..she went back to russia and came back this summer via work/study program....went back to russia to finish her school and will wait to file for k-1 visa and then live happily ever after !

really glad to find more people in a similar situation like me !

anyways...my question is i saw the timelines listed for the embassy in russia...if i read it right..it takes approximately 5-6 months from start to finish?

i have hired a lawyer for this process but still want to know everything..would appreciate help on where to start reading specifically about russia

thanks in advance

My suggestion to you is to not make any plans based on how long it should take to process your visa. If you must think about the future, think about 1 year from beginning to end. It probably will not take that long, but there is a possibility it may take longer.

But forgetting all that, it seems that Russian K-1's have been taking between 5-9 months. A few have gone into Adminstrative processing and taken 2 years, you just never know. It also depends on what service center your petition is sent to. If it is sent to VSC, you may save 2 months as opposed to if you had to send it to CSC. The USCIS adjutation is the biggest "UNKNOWN" in the process. Once you get past that point it the processing time becomes more predictable.

Good Luck !!! and check out the guides section...

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the board!

Read the guidance first.

Steve (WA,US) & Anne (SH,CN)

P1..............2004/10/04

P2..............2005/01/10

P3..............2005/04/07

P4..............2005/08/02

Interview.....2005/09/19

Married.......2005/10/29

Filed I-485...2005/12/17

RFE submit...2006/02/27

Interview......2006/08/31

Fingerprint....2006/09/07

wel letter......2006/09/19

I-551...........2006/10/02

Share my experiences with you, China-->U.S.

Check out my website : Click here

I am not an attorny, but someone did what you are doing or going to do.

Good luck on your journey, if you already hired an attorney it is probably too late to let you know if you case is straightforward you likely can do the process yourself, save a bundle. All you need are the guides here, and when stuck, post your question.

Anyway, good luck! :thumbs:

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree with Ready4ONE. I used an attorney for my first (failed) K1. It was a well known K1 attorney and it was not worth the thousand or so it cost me, for sure. The second time my sweetheart and I did everything ourselves with much less problems. I simply used the guides in this forum and some common sense.

K1 sent to VSC 17 Feb. 2005

NOA1 received 23 Feb. 2005

NOA2 received 17 Mar. 2005

Case received by NVC 21 Mar. 2005

Learned NVC sent documents to Moscow (via telephone) 14 Apr. 2005

Email from US Embassy in Moscow on 25 April 2005 informing us that interview date was set for 1 August 2005

Packet 3 Received 5 May 2005

K1 Interview Successfully completed 1 August 2005 !

Arrival into JFK on 7 August 2005

Applied for Social Security Number 9 August 2005

Social Security Card Received in mail 27 August 2005

Wedding day on 16 September

AOS/EAD/AP package sent to USCIS on 6 October. SS card name changed request.

NOA received 17 October, also recieved SS card with married name

Biometrics appointment 22 November. Also recieved Driving Permit the same day.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

When the beneficiary has a previous immigration history (like this one) it can't hurt at all to have a set of professional eyes on the case.

This OP has, I'm sure, his own reasons for hiring an attorney.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

thank u guys very much for the replies....

the thing is i havent actually started the paperwork with the attorney..i am getting stuff together...and will file in november because my fiancee is going to school in russia and will finish in august...i dont want the process to go too fast because she needs to finish her school...and i dont want to take too long...i want her on a plane the second she finishes school....

as for the lawyer..she really wants to hire a lawyer...but i also want to know the process...thats why i am here...so i can stay on top of the lawyer...

will continue to do more reading......would appreciate any other advice !

i am in virginia..so guess i will send to vermont center?

thanks again !

With our visa, I was more worried about Olga's end since her English is fair to poor and the documentation from Moscow is in English, I just filled in the forms for her to copy, she passed with no problems!

Thanks to one of our own's SOs, who gave Olga some much desired help...in Russian! :)

We did not hire a lawyer but Olga wanted one. I just explained to her that lawyers are VERY expensive (tell me that isn't true! :P) and unneeded.

All that is left is for me to win the lottery! :lol:

Edited by Marc and Olga

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Where to start?

FIRE YOUR LAWYER BEFORE YOU GET CHARGED ANY MORE MONEY!!!

Then, go to the GUIDES section at the top of this website, and read through the K-1 visa guide. It is an AMAZINGLY easy process, and if you use a lawyer, you'll just kick yourself in the @$$ later because the money the lawyer charges you is the money that you could use for her plane ticket.

Now, you said that "she wants a lawyer?" Why? Security, piece of mind? Or, "I bribed my way into the U.S. using fake documents the first couple of times and I don't want to mess this one up?" Either way, don't worry. Things like that happen in Russia, and that's why we have our own forum. (That has recently been inundated with American Women who feel really sorry for those beautiful young girls overseas that are being "bought" by perverted old fat men here that can't get any women at home so they're forced to "buy" them overseas... and that's just wrong... I feel so sorry for them... wah, wah, wah.... (Sorry about the diatribe against the A/W... just been pissing me off lately. "I wanna ###### about something that I know nothing about.") So, let us know a little bit more about your questions and concerns, and we can probably walk you through the whole process. Basically, it goes like this:

You fill out G-325A, I-129F, a copy of your passport/driver's license etc., and gather together "proof" of meeting within the last two years. She fills out G-325A, (translated) copy of birth. cert., passport, etc. and sends it to you. You enclose a check (was $170, think it still is) and send in the "K-1 Packet" to your service center. You wait about two or three months (all depending on your case) then they send it to the NVC (another couple of weeks or months) then they send it to the embassy in Moscow and they schedule her interview date. (Also another couple of weeks or months.) Then, she flies over here and you live happily ever after.

There's a little more to it, but that's the basics. Welcome to the forum, and keep on reading and posting. The guys here have all made it through with flying colors lately and are a LOT of help. Good luck on your Visa Journey!

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

slim, a handful (less than 6) of women = an innundation?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
FIRE YOUR LAWYER BEFORE YOU GET CHARGED ANY MORE MONEY!!!
Might not be that simple in terms of saving your money. If you hired a lawyer you probably paid the retainer fee which is the whole amount. Trying to recover that by saying the lawyer worked for less in quantum merit is going to be hard. Might require a lawsuit if the lawyer is stingy.

And if you stick with the lawyer your case is probably going to take longer than usual. Reasons:

1. All communications go through your lawyer. He files all the things Slim mentioned when he has time. For example if you got an RFE you would respond immediately. A lawyer responds when he has time, but always within the 90 day period to avoid malpractice. Your case reaches his desk when the deadline approaches.

2. You know all the information that should go with the forms. Instead of writing it in, you have the lawyer do it. This extra middleman between the USCIS (remember G-28 you signed in the lawyer's office) will slow down the process and increase chances of error as information might not be entered properly by the lawyer because you know all the facts and not him. All clarifications cost time as he has to call you each time or schedule an appointment to meet with you.

3. Since the lawyer is your official representative if you have inquires about your own case, the government might not want to speak to you!

my girl is pretty stubborn..if i fire the lawyer...she will be real upset and if something bad happens...she will blame me forever...anyways...the lawyer gave me a real good deal...less than $1000...used him before for other stuff...........u guys brought up lots of good points...thank u very much...

new questions..

1. what is the thing about online visa application form?

2. she has been issued 2 visas to the USA before through work/travel program.....and went back before her visa expired....do u think it will make it easier on her?

3. i am writing the letter about how we met...does it need to be just how we met or somethings we did while we were together...should it be nice and short...or the longer the better?

4. can u tell me what these acronyms are?

nvc

vsc

csc

5. i think i will use vermont center if i live in virginia?

thanks again !

my girl is pretty stubborn..if i fire the lawyer...she will be real upset and if something bad happens...she will blame me forever...anyways...the lawyer gave me a real good deal...less than $1000...used him before for other stuff...........u guys brought up lots of good points...thank u very much...

new questions..

2. she has been issued 2 visas to the USA before through work/travel program.....and went back before her visa expired....do u think it will make it easier on her?

3. i am writing the letter about how we met...does it need to be just how we met or somethings we did while we were together...should it be nice and short...or the longer the better?

nvc

vsc

csc

thanks again !

1. Good question, never heard of an "online visa application" for a K-1 to the USA.

2. certainly that will need to be included on some of the forms, particularly once she received the packet. some of the questions are have you been to the USA, when, what visa.

3. for our I-129F, I wrote how we initially met, 1-2 lines. Several paragraphs about my trip to Russia since the question specifically asks about the personal meeting. I ended it with 1-2 lines about our ongoing relationship, emails everyday, weekly phone calls.

4. NVC= National Visa Center

VSC= Vermont Service Center

CSC= California Service Center

5. IF you were filing it yourself, yes you would file it with the VSC (see above :P ) however it may need to be filed based on where your lawyer works, he would know. :P

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I think people are just referring to the actual application.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/for...iles/I-129F.pdf

And when you get the NOA1 you can track your case progress online.

https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/index.jsp

Won't make much difference either way. Unless she lied on her past visa applications and that lie was discovered now then she would be inadmissable. However, when she was here the last time, you could have avoided this whole process by just getting married and doing adjustment in the country.
I have no opinion here. There is no specific requirement for this in the I-129F.

nvc

vsc

csc

Find all your VJ acronyms here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=definition

And all other ones here.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Vermont Service Center has jurisdiction over I-129F's filed by petitioners living in the following states:

Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont, U.S. Virgin Islands, Virginia and West Virginia.

Your selection was proper.

However, isn't your lawyer doing all of this?

my girl is pretty stubborn..if i fire the lawyer...she will be real upset and if something bad happens...she will blame me forever
Am I reading way too much into this, or is this a potentional red flag? Why would your fiancee be preasuring you into using a lawyer? If you mess up, can't you live in Russia together? Or she doesn't want you like that? Also, does she have other immigration issues that she wants a lawyer to look over?

And, why does she have so little confindence in you doing it yourself?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.