pjreb

confused where to start

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
If you mess up, can't you live in Russia together? Or she doesn't want you like that? Also, does she have other immigration issues that she wants a lawyer to look over?

And, why does she have so little confindence in you doing it yourself?

I don't understand this... how does one just "live in Russia"? Last I checked they aren't handing out citizenships. How do you find a job in one of the most Xenophobic states on earth? Is it really that easy? I am curious how you come to this conclusion.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I don't understand this... how does one just "live in Russia"? Last I checked they aren't handing out citizenships. How do you find a job in one of the most Xenophobic states on earth? Is it really that easy? I am curious how you come to this conclusion.
1. A spouse of a Russian citizen my register for citizenship after residing 5 years in Russia.

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws...FEDERATION.html

To do so one enters on a private visa, fills out an application for permanent residency in Russia and is granted months later permission to reside in Russia as a temporary or permanent resident. Upon 5 years you register for citizenship.

http://waytorussia.net/business/legal-status.html (scroll towards the bottom about the section covering residency)

Best part is that his fiancee would do the paperwork in Russia, and perhaps she won't mess up.

2. His best job in Russia would be to teach upper level English at the local university. His job will involve teaching an entire class in English and thus require minimum Russian to get by. Surprisingly, having a US diploma in just about anything is highly valued in Russia, as I spoke with the dean of local university on this topic on my second visit to Russia.

Or he can pursue any job and learn Russian the same way we require our ladies to learn English in order to live in America.

3. "Xenophobic" Russia, generally does not discriminate against Americans or western Europeans. The only form of discrimination he is most likely going to run into is being a target of crime in terms of locals assuming he is wealthy because he is American.

Lastly,

In reality what I meant by my original post is that the OP should propose this to his fiancee in response to her insisting on a lawyer and not trusting his abilities to do the process himself. Kind of reverse psychology that Slim always talks about as a red flag test.

Lastly,

In reality what I meant by my original post is that the OP should propose this to his fiancee in response to her insisting on a lawyer and not trusting his abilities to do the process himself. Kind of reverse psychology that Slim always talks about as a red flag test.

Exactly! :thumbs:

I don't see why she would insist on a lawyer except for two reasons;

1. In her eyes, that's a "guarantee" that she will get the visa. "Oh, he hired a lawyer, so we WILL get the visa." (And in Russia, when you pay someone, something gets done. So maybe that's her logic there. Or on all those Hollywood movies (and Jerry Springer) they say "I got a lawyer" and that's when things start going their way.)

Or, 2. Her previous entries into the States were not 100% legal on the Russian end. (This is the one I'm leaning toward.) But like I said previously, that doesn't really matter. In truth, USCIS probably takes no time investigating how she obtained the visa in Russia, only just punches her A-number into the computer to see if she entered/exited on time and without incident. So in that respect, since she did just that, I believe any C/O in the world would see that as "OK. She didn't scam the system the first TWO times, why would she do it now. K-1 visa approved." But, maybe not. We here on VJ have no factual insight to that issue at all. We can analyze the trends and formulate a hypothesis based on that... but what's a hypothesis? A theory. That's it.

As far as presenting the story of how you met on the K-1 (I-129F) I wrote a really detailed description:

"Met in Moscow while on holiday, July 2005. See enclosed photos and tickets."

Passed! Visa approved. All they need is "proof" that you met in person within the last two years. They don't need to know that you walked hand-in-hand through Red Square and sat on the bench staring into each other's eyes in the Teatralnaya Metro Station... let her tell the C/O all that stuff at her interview. For the application process just simply state: We met HERE on this DATE. See Evidence.

Remember with all government paperwork: KISS!

Keep

It

Simple,

Stupid

Give them exactly what they ask for. Anything less, and you'll be asked (at their convenience) for more. Give them more, and it will just increase your chances of being delayed because they'll have more to "investigate." (Or more to lose, thus rendering your case "incomplete" and further delaying the process.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

slim, a handful (less than 6) of women = an innundation?

Oh, I almost forgot.... YES, less than 6 A/W in the Russia forum that "showed up" and posted only after reading that a guy was "going shopping" for his (hot, young, foreign) fiancee is an inundation. Where were you all before when guys were asking, "how long does it take for the Packet 3 to get from Moscow to my fiancee's house in Yomama Oblast?" That's right... you weren't here. Why???? CAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW how long it takes for things in Russia to get done... AND YOU STILL DON'T. So by that rationale, please, read on. Educate yourselves on how the VJ process works in Russia. The more help we can get, the merrier. I'm also guessing that if more "this visa through Canada/England/Australia" process is so hard" people were to actually see what the process is like through Russia, they'd applaud these men (and hot, young, foreign women) for sticking it out. I look forward to seeing all of you back here soon! (Seriously though, I do, because I like to throw popcorn as well, and there's usually not much debate in the Russia forum since almost everyone on here is here for the same reason: "How do I get this person from Russia here to the U.S.?" and believe it or not... that works for us.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't know why you have me confused/included in that group. Further, I've followed cases from a number of countries over the years, Russia being a particular one of them. I'd even go as far as saying that my input has been helpful to many going thru Moscow and FSUs over the years.

Try opening your mind to the possibility that you don't have everyone/everything figured out.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Timeline
I don't see why she would insist on a lawyer except for two reasons;

1. In her eyes, that's a "guarantee" that she will get the visa. "Oh, he hired a lawyer, so we WILL get the visa." (And in Russia, when you pay someone, something gets done. So maybe that's her logic there. Or on all those Hollywood movies (and Jerry Springer) they say "I got a lawyer" and that's when things start going their way.)

My ex- was the same. I told her she would have a difficult time getting permanent residency (LPR) because she was bailing on the marriage prior to fulfillment of two years of conditional status.

She told me: "oh this is no problem, I talk to other Russian girls, you just hire lawyer, you pay $3,000-$5,000 and they fix this for you..."

And yeah, go figure, couldn't tell her diddley-squat anyway... so I wish her lots of luck... (NOT!)

-- Dan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey Slim...check out meauxna's timeline. She's definitely helped many people see how long it took for her to get her husband over here to the U.S. She is so instrumental to the extistence of VJ. I'm indebted to her.

16/10/2006- Interview date- I'm nervous and my fiance is cool calm and collective. And she's the one that has to do the interview.

I'm not going to knock her or anyone for having (or not having) a timeline. The bottom line here is that everyone is on VJ to help each other out. Sure, it can be fun to push buttons as well, (I know I rather enjoy that part of it!) but I look at it like this: Call me what you want, say what you want, etc. But, when I'm asking a VJ related question, as long as you're saying the answer, and not "Well, I'm not going to answer because you support the terrorists (or whatever)" then I'm all good with that.

As far as I can tell, all the A/W that have been in here lately have "attempted" to be helpful, and that's all that really matters.

As for me needing to "open my mind and realize that I don't have everything figured out" I realize that already... that's why I'm not posting in the Asia, Africa, Europe, South America, etc., etc., etc., forums. I'm posting in the Russia forum about Russia related topics, which I do have at least a little bit figured out. When I get my mind "open enough" I'll be over in the Europe forum to comment on the appropriateness of how people there engage in the visa process. But, for now, I'll stick with what I've got figured out and stay right here in the Russia forum.

Русский форум член.

Timeline
Hey Slim...check out meauxna's timeline. She's definitely helped many people see how long it took for her to get her husband over here to the U.S. She is so instrumental to the extistence of VJ. I'm indebted to her.
In her defense, how much does my full time line help you? Does it really help you to know that three years ago the CSC was talking 180 to 210 days to complete an I-129F? Does it help you that IMBRA didn't exist? Does it help you that I walked in and got our I-765 EAD on the same day because the lockbox was not even functional for the west coast two years ago? It's great history I suppose, but not much help.

Timeline
In her defense, how much does my full time line help you? Does it really help you to know that three years ago the CSC was talking 180 to 210 days to complete an I-129F? Does it help you that IMBRA didn't exist? Does it help you that I walked in and got our I-765 EAD on the same day because the lockbox was not even functional for the west coast two years ago? It's great history I suppose, but not much help.

Sure it's a help. Helps us know your not the most up to date person to answer those questions based on personal experience.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Timeline

thank u all for answering all my questions...i just cant wait to file for the visa!!...i have all the paperwork ready on my side....as far as why she wants a lawyer..she doesnt have any previous immigration problems, and came legally with other visas...no probs whatsoever..both of us just want piece of mind i guess...

my last question...after all this paperwork gets processed and gets sent to moscow embassy, then she has alot of paperwork to do right? like medical record, police certificate? what else?

and at that time, i will need to do some more paperwork like proof of income and stuff?

thanks again!

thank u all for answering all my questions...i just cant wait to file for the visa!!...i have all the paperwork ready on my side....as far as why she wants a lawyer..she doesnt have any previous immigration problems, and came legally with other visas...no probs whatsoever..both of us just want piece of mind i guess...

my last question...after all this paperwork gets processed and gets sent to moscow embassy, then she has alot of paperwork to do right? like medical record, police certificate? what else?

and at that time, i will need to do some more paperwork like proof of income and stuff?

thanks again!

She will receive a packet from the enbassy, it will contain DS-156, DS-156k, and DS-230 which she will need to fill out in English. I believe it also contains instructions on the medical exam which she will need to have done.

After you receive NOA2 you will need to gather some very important financial items, I-134. you will need to have a letter from your employer, a letter from your bank that includes current balance, amount deposited in the last 12 months, and date open.

I should note that Bank of America could not provide me with this information so I gave 6 months (which they could provide) along with a notorized letter stating the information requested.

Wells Fargo was wonderful, the nice man I talked to sat with me and added up not only this years information but also added everything up for the past 12 months!

I also included my previous years tax return though it is not require by the instructions, my case is a little strange as most of my income is from tips, my employer stated I earn $5.50/hour which happens to be what THEY pay me! :lol:

You should also send her all original documents at this time, remember file copies with USCIS, if they need an original, they will ask for one!

As I am sure Slim will tell you, you need to send that info to her ASAP (after NOA2). I used USPS Global Express, it takes about 2 weeks and costs about $30 compared to Regular mail that can take over 4 weeks or UPS/FedEx which can cost over $100! :o

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Timeline

As others have stated in the past and based on my experience there is no need to overkill the public charge issue. Just use your Tax Returns and W2s if you make more than 125% of poverty line based on the correct amount of dependents. Do not bother with assets and bank statements, that is overkill if you already meet the requirements.

Also if you gather this financial information including I-134 long before your interview you can send it by regular post $0.84. It should also get their in two weeks. If it doesn't do it again. You can always wait until a month or so before sending the more expensive way if all your cheap methods have failed. You are sending copies anyway.

Back in the day the forms came in Russian and we filled them out in Russian as well.

Edited by Satellite

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.