Katovasiya

TOURIST VISA DENIED! HELP!

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I am a 21 year old female from St. Petersburg, Russia.I went to the embassy and the man seemed so nice, but then I was denied for having a lack of ties to my country. However, I don't understand what else I may have! I was going for 2 months to visit a friend whom had traveled to my country a couple years earlier. I own half of an apartment, have had my job for 8 months, have 125,000 rubles in my bank account, plan on continuing education in the fall (I have 2 more years of school), and am engaged. To top it off is my parents are old and I am the only child to take care of them. Here are the questions they asked me and my answers:

What is the purpose of visit? Visiting a friend

How long have you known her and did you meet here? I have known her for almost three years and we met here.

He then asked for my traveling passport and when he saw a previous visa to the UK, he inquired about it. I replied "I went to London to stay with my mother's friend. I would like to go to America as well to help with my English."

He asked what my company did, I replied that it was a crewing agency.

He asked how long I worked there, I said I started September first.

I then also mentioned that I am a student, but have taken a gap year. He asked how long I have left and I told hi 2 years and then one for my Magistrate.

Then he asked the name of the school, which I told him.

He then told me to wait, and then left. He returned with a document of refusal for my visa and said "Im sorry, but at the moment we cannot give you a visa." He tried to comfort me by saying that many young girls don't receive visas and that SOME day I may get one. He then said that I couldn't prove my my ties were strong enough and then the interview was over.

Can someone help me out? I don't know what went wrong! I'm hoping to be in the US around the 6th of June.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I am a 21 year old female from St. Petersburg, Russia.I went to the embassy and the man seemed so nice, but then I was denied for having a lack of ties to my country. However, I don't understand what else I may have! I was going for 2 months to visit a friend whom had traveled to my country a couple years earlier. I own half of an apartment, have had my job for 8 months, have 125,000 rubles in my bank account, plan on continuing education in the fall (I have 2 more years of school), and am engaged. To top it off is my parents are old and I am the only child to take care of them. Here are the questions they asked me and my answers:

What is the purpose of visit? Visiting a friend

How long have you known her and did you meet here? I have known her for almost three years and we met here.

He then asked for my traveling passport and when he saw a previous visa to the UK, he inquired about it. I replied "I went to London to stay with my mother's friend. I would like to go to America as well to help with my English."

He asked what my company did, I replied that it was a crewing agency.

He asked how long I worked there, I said I started September first.

I then also mentioned that I am a student, but have taken a gap year. He asked how long I have left and I told hi 2 years and then one for my Magistrate.

Then he asked the name of the school, which I told him.

He then told me to wait, and then left. He returned with a document of refusal for my visa and said "Im sorry, but at the moment we cannot give you a visa." He tried to comfort me by saying that many young girls don't receive visas and that SOME day I may get one. He then said that I couldn't prove my my ties were strong enough and then the interview was over.

Can someone help me out? I don't know what went wrong! I'm hoping to be in the US around the 6th of June.

Not much you can do...

My Wife wanted to invite her brother this Summer, and they denied him even though he proved he was still in school, had a good paying job, had a letter of invitation, etc.

The funny thing is, they let my wife's mother come last Summer.

Also, once you get rejected, it hurts your future chances of coming. They see it when you re-apply. They noticed he had a prior denied work visa (said he was not qualified enough).

We are going to wait a few years before trying again.

If you have a US friend, and they feel the case is compelling enough, they can always try contacting their congressperson.

I think in the end, they just like playing God.

Edited by Matthew G

Filed: Timeline

Not much you can do...

My Wife wanted to invite her brother this Summer, and they denied him even though he proved he was still in school, had a good paying job, had a letter of invitation, etc.

The funny thing is, they let my wife's mother come last Summer.

Also, once you get rejected, it hurts your future chances of coming. They see it when you re-apply. They noticed he had a prior denied work visa (said he was not qualified enough).

We are going to wait a few years before trying again.

If you have a US friend, and they feel the case is compelling enough, they can always try contacting their congressperson.

I think in the end, they just like playing God.

'Playing god'? How about obeying our laws? that is what they are there to do...do you suppose that no young, single Russian woman has ever overstayed in the US?

The OP has short term employment (less than one year) and thus such employment is relatively easy to walk away from compared to a job in which one might have more equity.

Our laws state that EVERY applicant seeking a tourist visa is presumed to be an intending immigrant until they (and they alone) convince a VO otherwise.

A congressman cannot change the decision nor make any attempt to influence their decision.

And trying to use older parents as an excuse is really not much...why? The OP wants to visit for 2 months....(a) no one in Russia gets 2 months paid vacation after 8 months on the job and (b) who is going to take care of those older parents in her absence? And if there is care for 2 months, why not for more?

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

... I'm hoping to be in the US around the 6th of June.

This won't happen.

I am sorry your visa application was denied, but there is no appeal. You can re-apply if your current circumstances change. I wouldn't say anything about learning/mastering your English next time.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This won't happen.

I am sorry your visa application was denied, but there is no appeal. You can re-apply if your current circumstances change. I wouldn't say anything about learning/mastering your English next time.

:thumbs: So sorry to hear of your denial.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

to the OP: now, I am sorry about your denial....I am not accusing you of any underhandedness....but....thousands of your demographic equals have not lived up to the terms of the visa privilege they were granted...and their abysmal track record was what (likely) did you in....

now, I will admit, that if US laws were modified a bit, to (a) end any possibility of a change of status from tourist to GC/F1/H1B and (b) severely punish those who violate the terms of a tourist visa, then perhaps more people could be given the chance to visit the USA...but until that day comes (probably never), well, our laws are somewhat strict, a bit obtuse, and, well, there it is.

Blame all those who have gone before you, but 'forgot' to return.

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

I understand the problem, but I was wondering if I shortened my stay to one month, and omitted the part about my English if I'd have a good chance to get it if I reapply.. ?

Applying again right after you were denied would be just waste of your money, IMHO.

I understand the problem, but I was wondering if I shortened my stay to one month, and omitted the part about my English if I'd have a good chance to get it if I reapply.. ?

changing the proposed visit will only make the VO's believe that something else is going on....they will assume (usually correctly) that an applicant who makes such a 'sudden' change in plans is merely trying desperately to get the visa...the VOs know only too well that CBP admits people for 6 months....changing the proposed visit time is NOT a change in YOUR circumstances...it will be viewed as trying to fool the VO....guess what the outcome will be?

changing the proposed visit will only make the VO's believe that something else is going on....they will assume (usually correctly) that an applicant who makes such a 'sudden' change in plans is merely trying desperately to get the visa...the VOs know only too well that CBP admits people for 6 months....changing the proposed visit time is NOT a change in YOUR circumstances...it will be viewed as trying to fool the VO....guess what the outcome will be?

He then said that I couldn't prove my my ties were strong enough...

How do you suggest she prove this?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.