Julia & Leo

1-864 Same Household

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

so last time i had posted about haivng a joint sponsor but what i had meant was a same household member..i live with my mom and she will be co sponsoring me. her and her husband file taxes together so do i fill out a form for both of them and which forms..and i send birth certificates for both my mom n her husband??

Mrs. Salazar

Filed: Timeline

so last time i had posted about haivng a joint sponsor but what i had meant was a same household member..i live with my mom and she will be co sponsoring me. her and her husband file taxes together so do i fill out a form for both of them and which forms..and i send birth certificates for both my mom n her husband??

Your mom needs to fill out I-864. If your mom's income qualifies to sponsor under the poverty guidelines, then her husband doesn't have to fill out a form. He will have to be counted as a member of her household where the I-864 requests the number. If you want to include her husband's income toward the amount that's necessary under the guidelines, then he needs to fill out I-864A.

You also have to fill out I-864, even if your income doesn't qualify to sponsor.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I agree with grrrrreat on this. And yes, your mom will need to send a copy of birth cert/nat cert, along with paystub or letter of employment & 2011 Tax returns (and proof of any other income). I think you are confused because they file joint taxes but if your mom's income is 125% of poverty guideline(for all members of the household incl. you & sponsored immigrant)she doesn't need to have husband fill out the I864A.

Married Sept.3,2010

02/11/2011: I130 Sent

02/21/2011: NOA1

06/22/2011: NOA2

06/30/2011: NVC

07/05/2011: DS-3032 email received

07/05/2011: DS-3032 emailed

07/06/2011: AOS Bill received

07/06/2011: AOS Fee Paid

07/09/2011: I864 Sent

07/11/2011: IV Fee Bill received

08/30/2011: IV Fee Paid

09/30/2011: IV Pkg Sent

10/24/2011: RFE (we dragged our feet from here on)

(forget all this for now, let's go on holiday!)

03/13/2012: NVC CASE COMPLETE!!

04/05/2012: Received interview appt email

06/22/2012: Medical @ Knightsbridge

06/29/2012: Interview 8am-Result: Pending

??/??/????: I601 Filed at Lock-Box

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I agree with grrrrreat on this. And yes, your mom will need to send a copy of birth cert/nat cert, along with paystub or letter of employment & 2011 Tax returns (and proof of any other income). I think you are confused because they file joint taxes but if your mom's income is 125% of poverty guideline(for all members of the household incl. you & sponsored immigrant)she doesn't need to have husband fill out the I864A.

Just wanted to point out that her mom would not have to include her in her own household count unless the OP is actually her dependent. Simply living in the same house does not make you part of the household count for an affidavit of support.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Just wanted to point out that her mom would not have to include her in her own household count unless the OP is actually her dependent. Simply living in the same house does not make you part of the household count for an affidavit of support.

Ahhh, that's true. Only the intending immigrant and any other dependants in this case. Good Catch!

Married Sept.3,2010

02/11/2011: I130 Sent

02/21/2011: NOA1

06/22/2011: NOA2

06/30/2011: NVC

07/05/2011: DS-3032 email received

07/05/2011: DS-3032 emailed

07/06/2011: AOS Bill received

07/06/2011: AOS Fee Paid

07/09/2011: I864 Sent

07/11/2011: IV Fee Bill received

08/30/2011: IV Fee Paid

09/30/2011: IV Pkg Sent

10/24/2011: RFE (we dragged our feet from here on)

(forget all this for now, let's go on holiday!)

03/13/2012: NVC CASE COMPLETE!!

04/05/2012: Received interview appt email

06/22/2012: Medical @ Knightsbridge

06/29/2012: Interview 8am-Result: Pending

??/??/????: I601 Filed at Lock-Box

Timeline

So me nor my daughter will be counted in there house hold only my husband correct? i do have some income but not enough to cover us so i as well file the I-864

Mrs. Salazar

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

So me nor my daughter will be counted in there house hold only my husband correct? i do have some income but not enough to cover us so i as well file the I-864

Right. Living in the same house does not, in and of itself, constitute being part of the same household. I'll add that if only your Mother acts as sponsor, you'll need to document just what parts of the income on the 1040 are hers and hers alone. Tax return transcripts don't do this, but complete tax returns with W2 will do just fine.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

OK IM THIS MAKES NO SENSE..WHEN I SPOKE TO A LAWYER THEY SAID SHE WOULD ONLY FILE A 1-864A? AND WHEN I WAS LOOKING AT THEI-864 IT ALSO SAYS A I-864A SINCE I AM COMBINING MY INCOME WITH HERS?

Mrs. Salazar

Timeline

OK IM THIS MAKES NO SENSE..WHEN I SPOKE TO A LAWYER THEY SAID SHE WOULD ONLY FILE A 1-864A? AND WHEN I WAS LOOKING AT THEI-864 IT ALSO SAYS A I-864A SINCE I AM COMBINING MY INCOME WITH HERS?

The lawyer was wrong. Maybe didn't understand your situation. A head of household needs to provide an I-864. It's the only way to get their household size properly counted. Unless your mother's income is NOT enough to qualify on her own, do NOT combine income. Do as instructed above.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

my mom makes 42,000 a year

So, your mom's household size will be, herself + her husband + the immigrant + any other persons she lists as a dependent on her tax return. If this ends up being three persons, $42k is enough. This is based on the guidelines which can be found by googling I-864P . As prior posts explained, she will file I-864 together with the documentation required by the form and its instructions. Your mom will need to prove her income using W-2 forms as well as provide a 2011 tax return.

You will also file a separate I-864 as the person petitioning for the immigrant, even if your income doesn't qualify.

Timeline

my mom makes 42,000 a year

Then "she" doesn't need to combine income with YOU to qualify as the sole joint sponsor. If you can document her personal income with a W2 form for 2011 and a pay stub for now, no need for Dad to provide any I-864a. You provide your own I-864 as required, even if you have zero income.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.