Keith & Xiang

Process/Time Table to receive a social secuity card/number

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My fiancee will have her interview on October 17, 2006. If everything goes well Qiuxiang and Qi (my fiancee and her/our daughter) will be flying out of Guangzhou on either October 27th or October 28th. I would like to schedule our wedding for November 5th but don't I need for her to have a social number prior to the wedding in order to obtain a marriage certificate?

Thanks,

Keith & Xiang

2005-07-20 Sent Xiang first email

2005-11-19 Met Xiang in Nanning

2005-11-25 Asked for Xiang's hand in marriage

2006-02-21 Date I-129F Sent

2006-02-24 Date I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2006-03-15 Applied for Emergency Expedite

2006-04-03 Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2006-04-25 Date packet was sent from NVC to Guangzhou, China

2006-07-07 Date Xiang recieved Packet #3 from Guangzhou, China

2006-07-08 Date Xiang sent Packet #3 to the U.S. Consulate

2006-07-27 Date Xiang recieved request for biographical information on our daughter

2006-07-27 Date Xiang sent biographical information to the U.S. Consulate

2006-08-17 Date Xiang sent biographical information to the U.S. Consulate, again!

2006-08-21 Date Xiang called, faxed and mailed the U.S. Consulate the biographical information

2006-08-22 Email from the U.S. Consulate, they FINALLY received the G-325A form for our daughter!

2006-08-22 Waiting patiently for Packet #4 to arrive, bring my soulmate to my open arms!!!

2006-08-25 Packet #4 sent out from the U.S. Consulate, in transit to my baby!!!

2006-08-29 11:25pm Email from the U.S. Consulate, the interview date is October 17th!

2006-09-29 Medical examination for Xiang and our daughter Qi. Interview is just around the corner!

2006-10-16 11:15pm VISA APPROVED!!!!

2006-10-29 Xiang and Qi arrived in Detroit, immigrations 2 1/2 hours, finally holding my sweetheart in my arms.

2006-11-05 Exchanging our vows, what a beautiful day for our wedding!

My fiancee will have her interview on October 17, 2006. If everything goes well Qiuxiang and Qi (my fiancee and her/our daughter) will be flying out of Guangzhou on either October 27th or October 28th. I would like to schedule our wedding for November 5th but don't I need for her to have a social number prior to the wedding in order to obtain a marriage certificate?

Thanks,

Keith & Xiang

Your Fiancee does not need a Social Security number to get a marriage certificate.

Sent I-130 to TSC

Received NOA1 from CSC with a date of 8/15/06

I-130 petition approved 4/16/2008 after 19 months.

Got IIN from NVC 5-13-08

Paid AOS fee online 5-14-08, Paid IV Fee online 5-27-08

Sent I-864 forms 5-27-08

Sent DS-230 forms 5-28-08

6-2-08 called NVC and msg says "received all information,processing will take 4-6 weeks"

6-13-08 called NVC, CR1 is complete, sent RFE for CR2. returned to NVC, waitn on result

6-26-08 case complete/approved. Waiting to be transferred to U.S. Embassy in Guangzhou, China for interview date

7-7-08 Petition forwarded to Guanzhou, China. Awaiting interview letter.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Just be careful ... you may be in a state that has a waiting period between the time the license is applied for and when you can pick it up..

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Just be careful ... you may be in a state that has a waiting period between the time the license is applied for and when you can pick it up..

This is what I have found in reference to the marriage license where I live:

Vital Records/Apply for a Marriage License

Marriage License applications are available through the Oakland County Clerk's Office. You must apply in person at the Vital Records office. Contact Us

Requirements:

1. You must be 18 years of age and the opposite gender to apply for a marriage application in Michigan. Persons 16 and 17 years of age must show a certified copy of their birth certificate. Written consent of one parent or legal guardian, who must appear at the time of application, will be required along with picture identification.

2. For the purpose of marriage application, residency is determined by a current valid driver's license or state I.D.:

a. If you are a Michigan resident, you must apply in the county where you live. If both parties are Michigan residents, you may apply in either county. The license is valid throughout the state.

b. If both parties are out-of-state residents, you must apply in the county where you are going to be married. The license is valid in that county only.

3. The following is required of both persons at the time of application:

a. Valid driver's license or state ID showing correct address.

b.

Birth certificate or valid passport. (If passport is used instead of birth certificate, full names of both parents and the state or country where they were born must be provided at time of application.)

c. Social Security numbers of both parties pursuant to MCL 551.102. 4. Fee per couple: $20.00 for Michigan residents; $30.00 for out-of-state residents.

5. One or both parties must appear to apply for the marriage license. If only one applicant is present, you must have all items listed in number 3 (above) for both persons (a photo copy, front and back, of the other person's driver's license or state ID will be accepted.)

Pick-up Information:

1. Once you apply in person and have met the above requirements, the marriage license becomes valid on the third day following application. It may be picked up as follows:

Apply on Monday: pick-up on Thursday

Apply on Tuesday: pick-up on Friday

Apply Wednesday: pick-up on Monday

Apply Thursday: pick-up on Monday

Apply Friday: pick-up on Tuesday

License is not available for pick-up on weekends or holidays.

Hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Please note our busiest hours are between 11:30 a.m and 1:30 p.m.)

2. The marriage must be solemnized within 33 days of application.

2005-07-20 Sent Xiang first email

2005-11-19 Met Xiang in Nanning

2005-11-25 Asked for Xiang's hand in marriage

2006-02-21 Date I-129F Sent

2006-02-24 Date I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2006-03-15 Applied for Emergency Expedite

2006-04-03 Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2006-04-25 Date packet was sent from NVC to Guangzhou, China

2006-07-07 Date Xiang recieved Packet #3 from Guangzhou, China

2006-07-08 Date Xiang sent Packet #3 to the U.S. Consulate

2006-07-27 Date Xiang recieved request for biographical information on our daughter

2006-07-27 Date Xiang sent biographical information to the U.S. Consulate

2006-08-17 Date Xiang sent biographical information to the U.S. Consulate, again!

2006-08-21 Date Xiang called, faxed and mailed the U.S. Consulate the biographical information

2006-08-22 Email from the U.S. Consulate, they FINALLY received the G-325A form for our daughter!

2006-08-22 Waiting patiently for Packet #4 to arrive, bring my soulmate to my open arms!!!

2006-08-25 Packet #4 sent out from the U.S. Consulate, in transit to my baby!!!

2006-08-29 11:25pm Email from the U.S. Consulate, the interview date is October 17th!

2006-09-29 Medical examination for Xiang and our daughter Qi. Interview is just around the corner!

2006-10-16 11:15pm VISA APPROVED!!!!

2006-10-29 Xiang and Qi arrived in Detroit, immigrations 2 1/2 hours, finally holding my sweetheart in my arms.

2006-11-05 Exchanging our vows, what a beautiful day for our wedding!

Filed: Timeline
I would like to schedule our wedding for November 5th but don't I need for her to have a social number prior to the wedding in order to obtain a marriage certificate?

I would contact the government agency responsible for issuing marriage licenses in the area in which you plan to marry just to be sure.

An individual with K-1 status applying for a work authorized SSN must present evidence to establish his or her age, identity and current lawful employment authorized status.

An individual needs to provide at least two documents as evidence to establish age, identity and current lawful employment authorized status.

SSA will not assign an SSN or issue a card to an individual that is within 14 days of his or her alien status expiring. Until the 76th day after entry an individual with K-1 status only needs to provide an unexpired I-94 showing current K-1 status to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

RM 00202.115 Form SS-5 Item 3 — Citizenship:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202115

B. PROCEDURE - ANSWER TO ITEM 3

2. Legal Alien Allowed to Work

The applicant should check this block if he/she alleges to be a lawfully admitted alien with work authorization.

Once, an individual with K-1 status has been in the United States 76 days he or she will need another document, i.e. I-551, I-688B or I-766 to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500#C1

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

Suggest that individuals apply for a corrected SSN card to update the SSN record when there has been a name change due to marriage.

Only the marriage document (foreign or domestic) is needed if it meets the following criteria:

-- The new name can be derived from the marriage document, i.e. bride takes the groom's last name, groom takes bride's last name, compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse's original name for either or both parties.

-- The marriage occurred within the past two years

-- The marriage document shows sufficient identifying information (e.g., biographical data such as age, date of birth or parent's names), and

-- The identifying information matches the information on his/her current Social Security number record.

The applicant will need to submit an identity document in the old name along with the marriage document if:

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years and has biographical information, e.g., age, date of birth or parent's names which does not match our records, e.g., the SSN record.

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years, but does not show biographical information, or

-- The marriage occurred over two years ago (with or without biographical information.

The identity document used to establish the old name must match the name on the current SSN record. The identity document is acceptable even if over two years old or expired.

When issuing immigration documents, the Department of State and Department of Homeland Security issue them in the person’s legal name. The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.

When an alien applies for an SSN card, SSA presumes the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

You can find detailed information regarding changing SSN record (Numident) data on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA will not accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

“If the applicant has no immediate need for the SSN and the translation can be done promptly or the foreign language document is the only evidence available; have the document translated by an authorized translator and use the document as evidence.”

“If the applicant has a pressing need for an SSN, and evidence other than the foreign language document is available; request other evidence and process the application without the foreign language document.”

RM 00203.040 Reviewing SSN Evidence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203040#B3

GN 00301.340 Authorized Translators Defined:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200301340

If a foreign-born person has the foreign birth certificate (BC) in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. When a person is foreign-born, a BC may not exist, may not have been recorded shortly after birth, or the probative value of the document may not be high. In these situations, SSA can accept alternative evidence of age in order of probative value. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, e.g., a DHS document or passport.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes age on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203110

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

Any document used to establish identity must meet the following criteria:

-- The document provides information the reviewer can compare with the data on the form SS-5 (e.g., the person's name, as well as age, date of birth, or parents' names) and/or

-- The document provides information the reviewer can compare with the applicant (e.g., physical description, photograph).

NOTE: A non-picture identity document should have the person's name as well as information that can be compared to the SSN record, the applicant or other documents submitted (e.g., age, date of birth, or parents' names).

However, the acceptability of an identity document must be evaluated on a case by case basis by the office processing the application, taking into consideration the applicant's situation and exploring what evidence is available for the person.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes identity on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#E6

SSA will not accept an application filing receipt or notice of action as proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

Take the required documents, to the nearest Social Security office. Individuals age 12 or older applying for an original SSN and card must apply in person at one of our offices.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and document(s) have been received and verified.

When an alien requests an SSN or replacement/corrected SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents and current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA will send Form G-845 for manual verification.

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720

Note: If the applicant has changed his/her name after an immigration document, i.e. I-94, was issued, e.g., married and is now using the married name, but has not obtained a corrected immigration document showing the new name; this is not a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes, i.e. SAVE clearance, if the applicant can provide an acceptable legal name change document to establish the new name.

The 14 day status expiration limit for assigning an SSN and/or issuing a card applies even if an individual submitted his or her application before being within the 14 day period and entered the 14 day period while waiting for his or her status to be verified.

If the SSA office does send the G-845, suggest that you go back to the SSA office no more that once week with your documents to (1) ask them to check SAVE again (2) ask if they sent a G-845 (3) if yes, did it come back (4) after 30 days ask if they have followed up on the G-845 by calling or sending another mark “second request.”

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

You can try calling the SSA Regional Office if you have waited at least 30 days and your local SSA office doesn't seem to be concerned about following up on the G-845

http://www.ssa.gov/otherssasites/

Refer them to:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203740

RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

Step 6

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS Immigration Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS. Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS.

Some SSA offices have an arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the follow-up contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated “second request.”) If the DHS response is still not received within 15 federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays (again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the Regional Office (RO). Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.

You may find additional SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/intern...=129227,00.html

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Thanks,

Keith & Xiang

Your Fiancee does not need a Social Security number to get a marriage certificate.

This is quite possibly incorrect - in a number of states marriage licensing does require social security numbers.

signature here

This is quite possibly incorrect - in a number of states marriage licensing does require social security numbers.

Perhaps not, follow the last few pages here....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...36061&st=15

Keith, call the office & ask. I'm interested to know what they say!

Edited by devilette

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Perhaps not, follow the last few pages here....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...36061&st=15

Keith, call the office & ask. I'm interested to know what they say!

You're right! I'll be getting married in Iowa, and the rules on the iowa about.com page say they want SSN, but on the form instructions it doesn't mention that. And certainly non-citizens get married in Iowa all the time. I'll call the office to be sure.

signature here

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually I live in Oakland County, MI... the alien spouse does not require a SSN.. you must provide the passport and sign an affidavit that no SSN is available...

Also there is a three day waiting period in MI... If you go to the Courthouse in Pontiac on Monday October 30, you can pick up the license on Thurs, Nov 2.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Keith,

Have you looked up and read MCL 551.102?

Yodrak

This is what I have found in reference to the marriage license where I live:

Vital Records/Apply for a Marriage License

Marriage License applications are available through the Oakland County Clerk's Office. You must apply in person at the Vital Records office. Contact Us

Requirements:

3. The following is required of both persons at the time of application:

c. Social Security numbers of both parties pursuant to MCL 551.102. ....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

They will understand when apprised of the fact that your fiance(e) is here from another country. I have inquired myself with the Clark County, Nevada Licensing Bureau thinking that this was a requirement we also have to meet. I was assured that the social security card issue would not apply to my fiance(e), only I would have to provide mine.

US1.GIFCOL.GIF

04-19-06 Sent I-129F

04-24-06 I-129F received at CSC

04-27-06 Received NOA1

07-03-06 Received RFE from CSC

07-03-06 Returned RFE to CSC

07-08-06 RFE received at CSC

07-31-06 Touched

08-05-06 Received second RFE from CSC

08-05-06 Returned RFE to CSC

08-07-06 Touched

08-09-06 RFE received at CSC

08-14-06 Touched

08-15-06 E-mail from CSC stating RFE received

08-16-06 Touched

08-18-06 NOA2 APPROVED- I-129F sent to NVC

08-19-06 Touched

08-25-06 NVC Received I-129F

09-01-06 NVC sent I-129F to embassy

09-05-06 Received at embassy

09-11-06 Packet 3 sent from embassy

10-06-06 Received Packet 3. Long delay in receiving the packet was due to postal miscue

10-06-06 Returned Packet 3

10-09-06 Received at embassy

10-31-06 Received Packet 4

11-14-06 Interview date

11-18-06 Travel to the States

In my state (CT). it was on the marriage license application form, but we said he didn't have one and it was fine. I'd call your Town Clerk's office and ask.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks,

Keith & Xiang

Dont worry, I got married laste year under a tourist visa, the only document I showed for my marriage licence was my passport.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.