Vicky and Larry

Immunizations for k1 visa.

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have some words of wisdom about AOS and immunizations :

So, I made it and I am here in the U.S and about to start the AOS process, but we have to find a civil surgeon to fill out the i693 immunization part of the form. and it's a tough process.

(I was out in the states with my then fiance' when we received our NOA2, so, I planned to get my shots taken care of when I returned to the U.K for the medical, but I got really sick. We decided to wait until I was out here as you have that option with the K1 visa. Big pain in the 8ss.)

I wish I had read-up on how difficult it is this side of the pond to get the shots. Finding a civil surgeon that does not want to make you pay for the whole medical process again, even though you have all ready got one that is valid for a year, is taxing.

I have rang quite a few numbers all ready for the area we live in and I have learned that:

1. no-one seems to accept insurance (my husband got me and my son on his insurance plan as soon as he could) they all want cash.

2. I was told by one secretary that it would cost $480.00 EACH for the WHOLE medical as they did not add on to what was all ready completed in London ( I made it quite clear that I was aware that my medical is valid for up to one year from the time it was issued, and that we should be offered the choice of JUST having the immunizations shots we needed).

3. I'm going to be calling for some time and we are more than likely going to have to travel farther than we would have liked to find a civil surgeon who only charges for the immunizations.

4. If you have the choice to get your shots done in the U.K or stateside, do it in the U.K if at all possible. I can't stress that enough.

5. All this is going to hold up AOS.

6. My husband is going to make a complaint about this as it seems to us from what we have all ready experienced and consequnelty read on here, that this is a loop-hole that doctors are taking advantage of in order to profit financially, or people are just ignorant and misinformed about the process. All in all it's not helpful.

I feel fatalistic about it at this point and have resigned to the mind set that this is where we are and it is another obstacle that we will just have to work our way around. There is still a lot to be done, but I am not going to let it take away from the fact that I am here and we made it - we are married and living as a family.

I hope this helps someone avoid this pitfall.

Epictetus said: "Not every difficult and dangerous thing is suitable for training, but only that which is conducive to success in achieving the object of our effort."

Edited by Vicky and Larry

event.png

event.png

Watied 129days from NOA1 for NOA2

event.png

Medical January 9th 2012.

Interview date received January 25th

Interview February 15th 2012 - APPROVED.

Received Visa's (K1 and K2) February 23rd 2012.

POE February 24th 2012.

Timeline

I'm sorry to hear you're not having a good time on this! Have you been through the civil surgeons list on the USCIS website? Absolutely yes make the complaint!

Thanks!

Yes, I am slowly making my way through that list until we come across someone who will just do the shots. I found a post on here posted by Nich-Nick that said you can use a civil surgeon in Texas who you mail and only charges for the shots, but that it takes some time. Gonna keep working through the list and see where we get before we see if that is an option. A long day of calling tomorrow.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/216636-vaccinations-needed-for-k1-process/

event.png

event.png

event.png

POE February 24th 2012.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am also in the process of putting together all my paperworks for AOS.and unluckily,we haven't found a civil surgeon here in Florida that costs less.they wanted to do the whole medical process again despite the fact that we insist that they only need to transcribe the immunization part.sad.:< still searching for cheaper civil surgeons until now.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Go to the local county health department. Immunizations are either free, or low cost.

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

Thanks!

Yes, I am slowly making my way through that list until we come across someone who will just do the shots. I found a post on here posted by Nich-Nick that said you can use a civil surgeon in Texas who you mail and only charges for the shots, but that it takes some time. Gonna keep working through the list and see where we get before we see if that is an option. A long day of calling tomorrow.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/216636-vaccinations-needed-for-k1-process/

That's really old information and Dr. Arnold in Austin closed his practice. The forms and requirements have changed many times since then also. Look for a thread call "Civil Surgeons who don't rip you off" started by one of our UK gals. Maybe you can find one near you in that thread.

The whole medical and immunizations has been my crusade for close to 4 years now. I've written to USCIS, posted on their portal, written the company who brought in the new contractors who were issuing RFEs like crazy to most of the K1s in Nov/Dec 2009. I've spoken to Congressman Ron Paul who was a medical doctor in my small hometown before politics and still lives there. And I have preached about doing your shots BEFORE your medical for years in hundreds of posts.

I think a lot of the problem is Civil Surgeons are not the cream of the crop. And they likely don't keep up with updates or read their technical instructions and bulletins. Most people who see them for immigration DO need a full medical exam. K1s are a real small minority and fall through the cracks everywhere. The Social Security offices are often clueless what to do with K1s. DMV laws have changed and left out K1s in many states. There is a limbo you go through as a K1 where you are a nothing. But eventually you get through the frustration zone and get that greencard.

So again....get ALL your shots before your Knightsbridge appointment K1s!!!! After the medical, but before leaving the UK doesn't help.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

I just posted some questions about this very topic today and was already thinking maybe he should wait till he gets here to take the shots but after your experience, thats definitely not an option.

Hope you find somewhere cheaper to get it done.

Hugs.

Feb 3, 2012 - I129F sent
Feb 6, 2012 - NoA1 Received
August 22, 2012 - NoA2 ( 198 days!!!!!)
Sept 6, 2012 - NVC Received Case
Sept 10, 2012 - London Received Case
Sept 15, 2012 - Packet 3 Received
Sept 20, 2012 - Medical
Oct 5, 2012 - All forms sent to the embassy
Nov 5, 2012 - Interview
Nov 5, 2012 - Administrative Processing crying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifranting33va.gifcray5ol.gif

Love conquers all.

Timeline

I just posted some questions about this very topic today and was already thinking maybe he should wait till he gets here to take the shots but after your experience, thats definitely not an option.

Hope you find somewhere cheaper to get it done.

Hugs.

Now all the hassle seems worth it if our experiences can help at least one other person avoid the same pitfalls. Yay! :-)

event.png

event.png

event.png

POE February 24th 2012.

Timeline

That's really old information and Dr. Arnold in Austin closed his practice. The forms and requirements have changed many times since then also. Look for a thread call "Civil Surgeons who don't rip you off" started by one of our UK gals. Maybe you can find one near you in that thread.

The whole medical and immunizations has been my crusade for close to 4 years now. I've written to USCIS, posted on their portal, written the company who brought in the new contractors who were issuing RFEs like crazy to most of the K1s in Nov/Dec 2009. I've spoken to Congressman Ron Paul who was a medical doctor in my small hometown before politics and still lives there. And I have preached about doing your shots BEFORE your medical for years in hundreds of posts.

I think a lot of the problem is Civil Surgeons are not the cream of the crop. And they likely don't keep up with updates or read their technical instructions and bulletins. Most people who see them for immigration DO need a full medical exam. K1s are a real small minority and fall through the cracks everywhere. The Social Security offices are often clueless what to do with K1s. DMV laws have changed and left out K1s in many states. There is a limbo you go through as a K1 where you are a nothing. But eventually you get through the frustration zone and get that greencard.

So again....get ALL your shots before your Knightsbridge appointment K1s!!!! After the medical, but before leaving the UK doesn't help.

Yes. yes and yes to all you outlined. We were unfortunate with timing, events and me becoming ill for pretty much 2 months. You live and learn, eh. Thanks for the heads up on the other topic, I am going to check it out now. My husband is very good at writing letters of complaint. I will keep you posted on how that goes.

Thanks.

event.png

event.png

event.png

POE February 24th 2012.

Timeline

Okay, I think someone above on this thread posted about going to see a People's Health Center, I spoke with one secretary of a civil surgeon and she suggested the same. She said they would fill out the i693 for 50.00 $$. So I went back on the Civil Surgeons Finder page on USCIS, here: https://egov.uscis.g...offices.summary , and found a People's Health Centre that is in our area who WILL do the shots. My son who is under 18 (he's 16) and needs all 5 of the shots will go for FREE and the two that I need will cost $100.00 together. You don't need to make an appointment with the center as they accept walk-ins from 8.30 - 3.30 from Monday to Friday.

Now I know this is not as inexpensive as getting them all done in the U.K and some of the Civil Surgeons that other people have found, but it's the best we have found so far and the least time consuming.

That all feels better so far.

Edited by Vicky and Larry

event.png

event.png

event.png

POE February 24th 2012.

Timeline

Now all the hassle seems worth it if our experiences can help at least one other person avoid the same pitfalls. Yay! :-)

Oh Yeah its worth it!

Feb 3, 2012 - I129F sent
Feb 6, 2012 - NoA1 Received
August 22, 2012 - NoA2 ( 198 days!!!!!)
Sept 6, 2012 - NVC Received Case
Sept 10, 2012 - London Received Case
Sept 15, 2012 - Packet 3 Received
Sept 20, 2012 - Medical
Oct 5, 2012 - All forms sent to the embassy
Nov 5, 2012 - Interview
Nov 5, 2012 - Administrative Processing crying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifranting33va.gifcray5ol.gif

Love conquers all.

I had a question here, but I read a bit more and found my answer.

Edited by Angela256z

* 21 APR 2016 - 90 Days before husbands conditional green card expires

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I had a question here, but I read a bit more and found my answer.

That's good. :-)

Me and my son went to the Clinic and all of his shots were free, plus they will also make sure that all the shots he needs for his school records are up to date when we return for the second part of the MMR shot. It cost $100.00 in total for me.

event.png

event.png

event.png

POE February 24th 2012.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.