Yemen91

K1 and F1 Visa applications

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

Hello there,

I have submitted the application for the K1 visa for my fiance who is currently in Yemen. It has been a little over three months since the application was received.

Recently, my fiance got accepted into a college in the U.S. and decided to apply for a F1 (student visa) to come and study. I tried to convince him to hold off and wait on the fiance visa, but he insisted on going through with the student visa. He has yet to be denied or accepted, but I am worried because he is trying to obtain a non-immigrant visa (F1) after we have already applied for him to come in on an immigrant visa (K1-fiance). I assume that he will be denied the student visa because of the pending K1 application.

My question is... IF he is denied the student visa, will it affect the fiance visa? Is it possible that his applying for another visa and being denied will ruin our chances of obtaining the fiance visa?

I hope that someone can give me some advice because I just don't know what to expect.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Well am gonna give this one a shot as far as i have heard sometimes looking for a student visa might hurt the chances for a K-1 visa because now on the forms to the embassy in case his student visa is denied he has to answer yes where they ask if he had ever been denied a US visa so this has to be read yes and when they see that they would wanna know why it was denied and i am thinking they would be reluctant coz they would think he just wants to go to the U.S , so i would say be careful with this ultimately you guys decide but i would say that looking for a student visa will probably hurt you guys in case they deny the student visa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello there,

I have submitted the application for the K1 visa for my fiance who is currently in Yemen. It has been a little over three months since the application was received.

Recently, my fiance got accepted into a college in the U.S. and decided to apply for a F1 (student visa) to come and study. I tried to convince him to hold off and wait on the fiance visa, but he insisted on going through with the student visa. He has yet to be denied or accepted, but I am worried because he is trying to obtain a non-immigrant visa (F1) after we have already applied for him to come in on an immigrant visa (K1-fiance). I assume that he will be denied the student visa because of the pending K1 application.

My question is... IF he is denied the student visa, will it affect the fiance visa? Is it possible that his applying for another visa and being denied will ruin our chances of obtaining the fiance visa?

I hope that someone can give me some advice because I just don't know what to expect.

I do not know if the pending K-1 will affect his approval for a student visa, or a denied student visa on the K-1. They may ask him questions about it. They may want to know why he was applying for an F-1 while waiting on a K-1 already. They may think the relationship is not real and he is just looking for any visa to get to the US. He should just be honest, and provide plenty of evidence that your relationship is real and solid.

I would like to point out that a K-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa though, and not an immigrant visa.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does a K1 affect an F1?

Most likely it will because the CO must believe at the time the visa is issued that the applicant will return to their country of origin after their schooling is finished. A pending K1 petition/application makes it difficult for a CO to reach this conclusion, especially if the applicant is from a poorer country and is marrying an American citizen.

Does an F1 affect a K1?

Not really. It may make the applicant look a little desperate to reach the US and you may get more scrutiny. If you have a legitimate relationship and can prove it, then it doesn't matter. While the K1 is technically a 'non-immigrant' visa, it is primarily used with the motivation to immigrate. Also, not all non-immigrant visas are subject to 214b (requirement that applicants be non-immigrants and will leave the US after using their visa legally). K1s are not subject to 214b.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.