^_^

Marion Barry: 'We’ve got to do something about these Asians coming in'

23 posts in this topic

Marion Barry said it, not "Black folks".

I knew Marion when he was a young man. He knew my parents and was a creep back then. He used to run around in a daishiki and a big 'fro looking for nonsense to get into way back then. Nothing changed. He's always had a screw loose.

Yet he keeps getting reelected.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

http://news.yahoo.com/barry-apologizes-asian-businesses-215408295.html

Barry apologizes for comment on Asian businesses

By BEN NUCKOLS | Associated Press – 5 hrs ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Just after yet another decisive electoral victory, D.C. Councilman Marion Barry is once again embroiled in controversy, this time for remarks disparaging Asian-owned businesses in his poor, majority-black ward.

At his primary election victory party Tuesday, Barry said: "We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops. ... They ought to go. I'm going to say that right now. But we need African-American businesspeople to be able to take their places, too." His comments were first reported by WRC-TV. Barry apologized Thursday for the comments.

"I want to express my deep apology for offending some members of the Asian community and the D.C. community," Barry said in an interview with The Associated Press. "I have a solid record of relationships with the Asian community."

The former mayor won the Democratic primary for his Ward 8 council seat with 73 percent of the vote, all but assuring him of another four-year term.

Mayor Vincent Gray, Council Chairman Kwame Brown and some of Barry's council colleagues criticized the longtime D.C. politician Thursday. A group of Asian-American lawmakers in Maryland also condemned Barry's remarks.

"I am deeply disappointed by Councilmember Barry's comment," Gray said in a statement. "There is no room in this wonderfully diverse city for comments that disparage anyone on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, disability or sexual orientation."

Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton, who represents the district in Congress, said she was "stunned by the offensive nature of the comments." Norton called Barry and reminded him of the values they shared while working together in the civil rights movement, she said, adding that she was pleased that he would apologize.

Barry, 76, served four terms as mayor, a tenure interrupted by his six-month term in federal prison on a drug charge.

Since his return to the council in 2004, he has developed a reputation for racially charged statements. During a recent radio appearance, he said he didn't like the architectural firm recommended to build a new public high school because it was "all-white." And with Gray and Brown under federal investigation for possible campaign misdeeds, he has suggested that black politicians are more heavily scrutinized than their white counterparts.

Washington has long been a majority-black city, but the white and Asian populations are growing. African-Americans made up just 50 percent of the district's population during the 2010 Census. The city is 34.8 percent white and 3.5 percent Asian.

Tensions have long simmered between blacks and Asian merchants in many urban communities. Korean shopkeepers were subject to violence during the 1992 riots in Los Angeles that followed the police beating of motorist Rodney King.

Barry told AP that he was wrong to single out Asians but said he was referring to merchants who don't sell healthy food and don't engage with the community or hire local residents.

"We need businesspeople who'll be a part of the community, not exploit the community, give jobs to those of us in the community, and to contribute to the well-being of our community, have fresh vegetables and fruits and et cetera," Barry said.

Barry, however, did not back away from his claim that some Asian-owned convenience stores and carryout restaurants don't "respect" the residents in his ward.

"Ward 8 residents are spending their hard-earned dollars in these stores because they are the only stores in the immediate neighborhoods; my constituents want respect, too," he said in a statement. "It is to these less-than-stellar Asian-American businessmen in Ward 8 that my remarks were directed."

Barry noted that during his time as mayor, he created the city's Office of Asian-Pacific Islander Affairs and established a sister-city relationship with Beijing.

Soohyun "Julie" Koo, the director of that office, said she was glad that Barry had apologized.

"Marion Barry has been very supportive of our community, so I was very surprised by his statement," she said.

A coalition of more than 30 Asian organizations also condemned Barry's remarks, calling on him to "provide a sincere apology and ensure meaningful engagement with our communities."

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS (ode to Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC)

'Twas the night before Christmas

And all through D.C.

Not a creature was stirring

Except Marion B.

The streets were abandoned,

The drug-dealers slept,

But Hizzoner in his limo

Through Southeast he crept.

A silver spoon was hung

From his neck with great care,

In hopes that Charles Lewis

Soon would be there.

When all at once

There arose such a clatter --

He halted his limo

To see what was the matter.

And what to his wondering

Eyes should appear,

But a pile of white powder --

A mountain of cheer!

He jumped from his limo

Lickety-split...

Five minutes later,

The Mayor was lit!

He snorted and shoveled

That coke up his nose;

His eyes were all bloodshot

And glowed like a rose.

Back to his limo

He ran like a flash:

"Now that that's gone,

Let's go home to my stash!"

I heard him exclaim

(with no hint of strife):

"I'll snort if I like --

I be 'Mayor for Life!'"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMMORTAL QUOTES BY FAMOUS AMERICANS

"I REGRET THAT I HAVE BUT ONE LIFE TO GIVE FOR MY COUNTRY" -- Nathan Hale

"GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH" -- Patrick Henry

"THERE IS NOTHING TO FEAR BUT FEAR ITSELF" -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU..." -- John F. Kennedy

"GODDAMN B!TCH SET ME UP!" -- Mayor Marion Barry

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

:lol:

sigbet.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Marion Barry said it, not "Black folks".

I knew Marion when he was a young man. He knew my parents and was a creep back then. He used to run around in a daishiki and a big 'fro looking for nonsense to get into way back then. Nothing changed. He's always had a screw loose.

So why do you think network news agencies fabricate racial slurs against a white individual like George Zimmerman and tolerate racism from Marion Barry? Why is it OK for a black person to be intolerant of other races?

What does it say about more than half the population of the electorate voting for him?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS (ode to Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC)

'Twas the night before Christmas

And all through D.C.

Not a creature was stirring

Except Marion B.

The streets were abandoned,

The drug-dealers slept,

Obviously written by someone who knows nothing about dealing drugs.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Marion is a moron!

Edited by Leatherneck

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

What does it say about more than half the population of the electorate voting for him?

It tells us that they too are bigoted and racist.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12