Cyberfx1024

Who came over and started work as a teacher....

9 posts in this topic

Magandang Hapon/Good Afternoon. I am really not sure which forum to put this question on so I choose the "Finding Work in America" one. But I am bringing my fiance from the Philippines on a K1 visa, her career is as a Teacher. I am wondering how easy will it be for her to get a job as teacher in US, and I am also wondering if anyone else has done it and give us their story. Basically how they did it and the complications if any. Thank you

My wife is a nurse from the PI... This was some of the process she had to follow as well,,, Might want to look up Foreign Trained Teachers and/or

Teacher Education Association... And then try to find information for your specific state. Certification WILL be specific to your state.

Basically,, I suspect it will require a transcript evaluation by agencies approved by your state, Perhaps a certification test, Perhaps

an English proficiency test.... And of course some money for the various tests, evaluation and teaching Certification.

Regards,

dc

For Texas: http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=5342

Certification Based on Credentials from another Country

Educators who have been issued a standard certificate or credential from another country outside of the United States and its territories must apply for a review of their out-of-country credentials.

Application Instructions

•Create a TEA Online account

•Apply for the review of out-of-country credentials and pay a $180 non-refundable fee

•Mail in the required documents (PDF)

Foreign Credential Evaluation Services

List of foreign credential evaluation services recognized by TEA.

OneYear Certificate

Educators who have completed the review of credentials and are found to be eligible may be issued a One Year Certificate. During the validity of this nonrenewable certificate, the educator must complete all appropriate tests. Acceptable proof of Oral English language proficiency must be established before being eligible for a certificate.

Standard certificate

Once all Texas requirements are completed you will apply online for a Standard Certificate. Acceptable proof of Oral English language proficiency must be established before being eligible for a certificate.

My wife is a nurse from the PI... This was some of the process she had to follow as well,,, Might want to look up Foreign Trained Teachers and/or

Teacher Education Association... And then try to find information for your specific state. Certification WILL be specific to your state.

Basically,, I suspect it will require a transcript evaluation by agencies approved by your state, Perhaps a certification test, Perhaps

an English proficiency test.... And of course some money for the various tests, evaluation and teaching Certification.

Regards,

dc

For Texas: http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=5342

Certification Based on Credentials from another Country

Educators who have been issued a standard certificate or credential from another country outside of the United States and its territories must apply for a review of their out-of-country credentials.

Application Instructions

•Create a TEA Online account

•Apply for the review of out-of-country credentials and pay a $180 non-refundable fee

•Mail in the required documents (PDF)

Foreign Credential Evaluation Services

List of foreign credential evaluation services recognized by TEA.

OneYear Certificate

Educators who have completed the review of credentials and are found to be eligible may be issued a One Year Certificate. During the validity of this nonrenewable certificate, the educator must complete all appropriate tests. Acceptable proof of Oral English language proficiency must be established before being eligible for a certificate.

Standard certificate

Once all Texas requirements are completed you will apply online for a Standard Certificate. Acceptable proof of Oral English language proficiency must be established before being eligible for a certificate.

Thank you. I am trying to look it up for NC. But its kinda confusing to say the least. I want us to be as prepared as possible when she comes to the USA. She is determined to help me financially, so I don't have to do everything. But thank you po

Magandang Hapon/Good Afternoon. I am really not sure which forum to put this question on so I choose the "Finding Work in America" one. But I am bringing my fiance from the Philippines on a K1 visa, her career is as a Teacher. I am wondering how easy will it be for her to get a job as teacher in US, and I am also wondering if anyone else has done it and give us their story. Basically how they did it and the complications if any. Thank you

You can try World Education Services (WES)

http://www.wes.org/

They evaluate credentials for those people's who earned degree outside US for its equivalent according to US standard.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can try World Education Services (WES)

http://www.wes.org/

They evaluate credentials for those people's who earned degree outside US for its equivalent according to US standard.

Thanks for this info. I will use it to convert my fiancee's college degree to a US equivalent.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

You will need to check if she meets the requirements for teacher certification in your State. She may get lucky or she may not. At any rate, teaching at a kindergarten level or being a teaching assistant shouldn't be a problem.. In my case, I decided to pursue graduate school since that was the only way to be licensed as a speech pathologist here :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi,

thanks for the post!

I am in the same situation like your fiance! I´m a teacher from Germany. I live in calfornia and found out that i need at first a transcript evaluation (on the teacher Teacher Credentialing is a list of agencies which are recommended. they don´t accept every agency. In your case I would check this for your state.). Second step is to apply at the commision for teacher credentialing.

I would be as well interested in generell experience of other teacher who did done that before. and for sure in experience of German teacher!

Good luck for you!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Your fiancee would need to get her teaching credentials before she can teach. It could take a year to do that.

Right now, it is incredibly difficult for teachers in the US. Lots of school districts are laying off teachers because states are having budget problems during this recession. There were over 1600 pink slips delivered to teachers in San Diego this year. Not all of them will lose their jobs for the next school year, but lots of them will. Many of the teachers who will lose their jobs have years of experience.

I have friends who are leaving teaching because of the lack of jobs. I don't want to discourage your fiancee, but she needs to know what the job market is like before she spends money on getting her teaching credentials.

I appreciate all the advice. I was curious about this and wanted to see what I can do to help my fiance. But thank you guys for everything.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.