9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Is there anyone who undergo for an I-751 Interview here?

What is the percentage to be called for an I751 interview? Is it common to be called like in AOS?

For those who did undergo, can you share what kind of questions were raised and how long did it take for you to receive an interview letter?

Have a great night everyone!

Checked a couple forums, and it looks like it's not as common as AOS, but I heard it's pretty random.

I just filed my I-751. Focusing on at least getting the NOA1 for now (without RFEs). If they want an interview that's when I'm gonna worry about it. whistling.gif You can search the forums if there's any topic for I-751 interviews that happened.

What is the percentage to be called for an I751 interview? Is it common to be called like in AOS?

For those who did undergo, can you share what kind of questions were raised and how long did it take for you to receive an interview letter?

Personal Timeline

N400 JOURNEY

2015/05/02 - sent N-400 packet to USCIS [Day 0] (Saturday mail)

2015/05/12 - check cashed [Day 10]
2015/05/15 - I-797C NOA received [Day 13]

2015/06/01 - biometrics appointment [Day 29]

2015/09/10 - interview appointment [Day 131] - pending N-14 add'l evidence req'd

2015/11/17 - oath taking [Day 169]

GC/ROC JOURNEY

(In essence of keeping my signature short, please check my Timeline)

AOS JOURNEY

(In essence of keeping my signature short, please check my Timeline)

It's pretty random. There is a 10% quota that they must be interviewed. If you done your homework, supplied enough and powerful evidences on time, and luck is on your side, then most likely you won't get an interview.

If you do got an interview, usually after they send you a RFE, or "relocated to local office", then most likely you will get an interview. It can range anywhere from just to see you and get over with it, or (rarely) a STOKES, AKA "Grill you till you are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside" interrogation, as they put you in the shoes of a fraud suspect and try to make you confess.

There are horror stories, but the chances of getting a full stokes interview is slimmer than winning that 600+ million lottery.

I haven't gone to an interview yet but i filed ROC in June 2011 at CSC. I phoned and put in a service request in February, after waiting 8 months for an approval. I was told to wait 30 days for a decision (and received a letter to say that i had to wait 30 days too).. still nothing, so i phoned them again in March and put in another request. A day after i phoned them the second time, i received a letter in the mail saying that we have to go to an interview on April 24th at local office. As Steve D said, i think the percentage rate of interviews for ROC is small and random.

ROC

06/01/2011 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

06/02/2011 - Package arrived and signed for at CSC

06/02/2011 - NOA receipt date

06/06/2011 - Check cashed

06/07/2011 - NOA arrived in the mail

06/15/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/11/2011 - Biometrics appointment

02/02/2012 - Phoned USCIS and put in a service request

02/08/2012 - Email from USCIS confirming my request

02/11/2012 - Letter from USCIS - says i should receive news within 30 days

03/14/2012 - Phoned USCIS again. 30 days has passed. no news. Took details again.

03/15/2012 -Received letter from USCIS - have to go to interview April 24th

04/24/2012 - Interview and ROC approved!!

05/07/2012 - Received email, card production ordered

05/11/2012 - Green card arrived

N-400

06/22/2012 - Mailed N-400 package to Phoenix/AZ Lockbox

06/26/2012 - NOA date

06/28/2012 - Check cashed

06/29/2012 - NOA arrived in the mail

07/02/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in mail

07/19/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/30/2012 - Received text +email. Application placed in line for interview

07/30/2012 - Received text +email in evening - interview letter sent

08/03/2012 - Received interview letter

09/19/2012 - Interview - passed interview/test!!

10/24/2012 - Oath Ceremony!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

another interview seems like too much. i hope we don't get profiled for one!

USCIS JOURNEY

12-08-09 - I-130 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

12-11-09 - Notice of Action (NOA1)

02-25-10 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2) ~CA service center~

03-23-10 - PCC Applied - GET 04/01

Your I-130 was approved in 76 days from your NOA1 date

NVC JOURNEY

03-03-10 - NVC Case Number Assigned

03-05-10 - Email give

03-09-10 - AOS bill; Agent Email Get

03-10-10 - Paid AOS Bill; Email/Mail DS-3032

03-12-10 - AOS Bill Status: PAID

03-15-10 - IV Bill Email Get; Pay IV Bill

03-16-10 - IV Bill Status: PAID; AOS @ NVC

04-07-10 - IV Pack @ NVC

04-12-10 - IV Pack Enters AVR

04-20-10 - Log-in Fail

04-21-10 - Case Complete

04-30-10 - Interview Date Assigned

05-07-10 - NVC Forwards Case to Embassy, Tokyo

Your case was complete in 50 days at NVC

EMBASSY JOURNEY

04-16-10 - Medical Exam ($400) - PASSED

05-10-10 - Embassy Receives Case from NVC

06-28-10 - INTERVIEW - Moved

06-21-10 - INTERVIEW - APPROVED!

06-22-10 - Visa Received

Your interview took 192 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

USA JOURNEY

07-05-10 - US Entry

07-26-10 - Request SSC @ SS office

07-28-10 - Welcome Letter (2nd on 8/9)

08-02-10 - SSC GET

08-12-10 - Green Card GET -38 days

04-05-2012 - File I-751: APPROVED 10/17

nihonamerica.jpg

Filed: Timeline

We had an interview. I have a thread about it here, and a post about the actual interview experience here (in that same thread).

The questions and relevant dates are in the thread. For us, it was a lot of stress just because it seemed "out of the ordinary", but the interview was painless and we got the 10-year card. Hope that post answers some of your questions.

• 3 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi,

I recently went to an interview so I wanted to share my experience.

I’ll explain the process from the start because when I was waiting for updates, I wanted to know everything about everybody’s process! I know it’s nerve racking…

I filed Joint I-751 on July 2nd 2011, received NOA on July 7th 2011. Biometrics came a little over a month later and didn’t hear from USCIS until early Feb 2012. They asked for more evidence so I sent a few pictures, joint insurance (we are not beneficially to each other) and affidavits from friends and family early April. I had an incident with getting residence card because of the new mail man so I sent a copy of learners permit which has “this is not a valid ID” written all over it. And sent a copy of residence card a few days later (passed RFE deadline) but it was okay.

I want to point out that we have been living at separate houses and we do not own anything together. No joint bank account, no joint bills, nothing.

I didn’t hear from them for a while so I called help desk and they asked me for updated address, phone number, and receipt number (This is the number on your biometrics! I didn’t know and I was trying to check for updates with other number on NOA online. Use the # on biometrics and you should be able to check for updates online.) The rep said she will request updates to be sent to me since it’s been more than 6months from the date I applied. She told me to wait 15 days and if I hear nothing, I need to call back with case number she provided.

I received a letter for interview 18 days later.

I expected to be called for an interview because we have been separated and we don’t have too much evidence to show.

We arrived at the office in LA 2 hours early. The letter says not to arrive any earlier than 45 min before your interview but it was totally okay and there was no line. We got in, and waited for 2 hours.

The check list says to bring your past EAD and Advance parole issued to you but I don’t have any of then nor my previous passport. But it was okay. He did asked me for current unexpired passport though.

The person who called my name said we had to wait because ppl who had earlier appointment arrived after their appointment time but before our appointment time so he had to let them take an interview first. So if they came in later, we could have gone in for interview earlier. I don’t think time is that restricted.

We went in to the office together, and officer quickly made us sworn oaths. I thought we will be separated and asked million questions but that didn’t happen. We were all in the same room. And it was more like a conversation than an interrogation. I heard later from my friend that if they take you and your spouse to the same room, they already believe your marriage is in good faith. They just want to double check.

He told us that we were called for an interview because we were moving around and had 3 active addresses we were using. I guess living separated and not having enough evidence was not an issue…

He was asking question based on addresses we provided which is the reason why we were called for an interview.

Here are some of the questions I remember…

• Our work, job title, and work hours.

• When and where we met.(I told the story as is)

• How we know each other. (I told the story as is)

• What was the relationship then, when it changed, when we because an official couple. (I told the story as is)

• Why we decided to separate. (I told the story as is)

• If we filed legal separation or divorce. (We haven’t)

• When we moved to where, when and why. (I told the story as is)

• Why I kept my residence even marriage was still working out. (I needed a place to go when things were not good. It was needed cuz I don’t have family here)

• Where our relationship is at, why, what’s the plan for future as far as the marriage goes. (we said we’re working on it)

• How often do I see the in-laws.(Every holidays and birthdays but haven’t seen them for the past 7months)

• Why we don’t have joint bank account.(cuz he spends a lot and I like to save)

• Have we considered marriage counseling.(we did but I didn’t wanna go)

Then it was over. It was a matter of maybe 15-20min. He did not give us a hard time at all. We were laughing here and there. Some people were telling me that I should’ve said that we don’t live together, and that we should practice interview. But there is no need to lie about anything (and you shouldn’t!) and if your marriage is real, you should have answer to everything the officer asks.

We went in there with very little evidence that fits in a thin folder but had all the answers to all questions. We still don’t live together and I haven’t seen my in-laws for 7 months but that doesn’t mean our marriage is fake.

I had my new greencard put on production on the spot and I can officially apply for citizenship. (I don’t think I will but…)

Still waiting for a card and hopefully nothing happens that I have to travel in the next few months… You only gonna have a piece of paper saying your petition is approved and you have to apply for travel document before going outside of USA.

Good luck to everyone!!!

• 1 year later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Did they really approved you on the spot that's good .I had my interview on 21st oct but at the ed of interview the interviewer said you gone receive deceision within 30 days and its almost

Three weeks but heard nothing yet.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Old thread closed to further comment. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.