Polychrome

Need some advice

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi to everyone

I need some advice on what I can do and I really can't find the answers anywhere. The situation is that one of us is Canadian and the other is American. We are planning on getting married in the next few weeks in the US and we have a child together who was born in Canada, we were planning on filing a K3 VIsa. Is there any adivce or route that anyone can tell us on how to do this properly or if it's the right way to go? thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

We share an avatar, I see:-).

Actually, the best first step is to read the guides posted at the top of this particular forum thread, then visit the www.uscis.gov website and read up on the various topics listed there. All of the forms you need are also available on that site. Once you have read the guides on this forum you will be in a better position to understand what you want to accomplish and how to do it. Then, you can ask specific questions or just keep reading this forum and perhaps find your answers in someone else's post. There are lots of Canadian/American couples here and I know they are more than willing to help you with specific inquiries. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Hi to everyone

I need some advice on what I can do and I really can't find the answers anywhere. The situation is that one of us is Canadian and the other is American. We are planning on getting married in the next few weeks in the US and we have a child together who was born in Canada, we were planning on filing a K3 VIsa. Is there any adivce or route that anyone can tell us on how to do this properly or if it's the right way to go? thanks

No need to file for a K4 since the child has one parent that is an American, the child can claim American citizenship and move to the USA as such.

Read: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/fac...t/howdoi/A4.pdf

As for process of K3 look here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k3guide

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Polychrome

In addition to YuAndDan post. Was the childs birth reported/registered at the consulate? You can read more HERE

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Other Timeline

where are you all currently living? In Canada I assume? Is the US half of the equation a legal resident of Canada, or just a visitor? If the US half is a legal permanent resident of Canda, you can do a Direct Consular Filing (DCF). Which is basically applying directly at the US consulate for an immigrant visa.

If the US half is *not* a legal permanent resident of Canada, then you will have to do the K3/CR1 route, and that'll take some time.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Timeline

I'm american and he's canadian. When we flew back we just told them that we were coming to introduce the baby to family and get the baby's status.

We plan on getting married soon. I just wanted to know if there was a way that when we file that we can avoid being seperated since there is our baby in this too. I'm just wondering if getting an immigration lawyer is the way to go.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you are all in the U.S., and you didn't come in fraudulently (i.e. with the intent to trick them and stay), you should be able to adjust status once you are married. The main thing I am unclear on is after you apply for a Green Card, if it doesn't arrive before you have stayed more than 6 months, what the consequences are. Anyway, good luck.

I'm american and he's canadian. When we flew back we just told them that we were coming to introduce the baby to family and get the baby's status.

We plan on getting married soon. I just wanted to know if there was a way that when we file that we can avoid being seperated since there is our baby in this too. I'm just wondering if getting an immigration lawyer is the way to go.

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.