Jiajia

Sincerely looking for advice for AOS process

20 posts in this topic

As a K-1 visaholder, you are required to marry before the I-94 expires or you must leave. Once married, you file for AOS, but there is no deadline for doing so. Once the I-94 expires you are out of status, but that out of status is forgiven when you file the AOS. The only problems of being out of status is if you find yourself near the Southern border and have a run in with CBP, INS, or LEO; you can be detained and hauled before an immigration judge and told to file the AOS. You will NOT be deported. Do not worry.

Dave

OP came in on a tourist visa, not a K-1...

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

The instructions for those forms tell you exactly who needs to file them and under what conditions. It is very unlikely you need either one of them - based on the information you have provided here, you don't need those forms.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: Timeline

What kind of visa holder should submit I-601 application for wavier of Grounds of excludability?? Mine is tourist visa, do I need I-601??

What's I-485 supplement? Do I have to file I-485 supplement too?

Thank you

file the I-130 with the I-485 at the same time! also, it would be good to file for an advance parole (so you can leave the country) and your work permit, since the fee will be waived when you submit it with the I-484. you don't need any kind of waiver. keep your head up, gather your evidence for a bonafide marriage together, all the other documents you will need and be honest. if your marriage is in good faith, you will have nothing to worry about. been there - done it.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

so - are you filing AOS, or not ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.