MyJourney1

Infrequent Visits - Frown Upon?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm the US Citizen Petitioner; He's the Nigerian Beneficiary (My Fiance). We met online in 2010. Our relationship was built using Chat's and Skype every single day. His attempt to visit me failed. I was able to visit him. So, we met in person for the first time in 2011 and only spent 1 week together because that was the most I could get off from work. Will that short and single visit be an issue with getting approved the K1 VISA? :unsure:

Edited by MyJourney1

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You should be OK with all your documentation, look at other Nigeria postings for similar issues. It is what it is, you can explain wanted to stay longer, but in this economy work is important. Good Luck.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Something about 30 days of face time seems to be the magic number for Lagos. Less than that amount of face time your chances for approval go down. A week you are at less than a 50% chance of getting approved. If you have lots of photos with family in public settings you may sneak by , otherwise plan another trip.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I feel your pain.. for us i don't have a full time position.. lack two hours per week for that and no time off no benefits... so if i took time off i would have to save for at least 3 weeks. then pay the airfare (which is about 2k for the uptight seats lol) the person to watch my house etc.... and THEN prayerfully use all my savings to make the trip praying i wont need it for car repairs or medical bills when i come home...

I was with him at length when we were married but just wish i could do another trip now!

However, our small bank is going thru a merger and if i leave now i could easily lose my job and i have the opportunity to gain full time with benefits employment.

Nothing would make me happier right now than to be with my husband for two weeks.... but having a job to come home to right now in this economy is a MUST!

Wish things were different... :(

Edited by EAbbas

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

The Nigeria threads of the Africa board will give you a lot more information. It is best to stick with that for any country-specific questions.

For most countries, your time together seems sufficient. From what I understand though, for Nigeria, it can be questionable. Go to the Africa board and commit yourself to reading maybe 10 or so threads every day (it is easy enough with the pages in date order from the last post) and see what situations you read about there. As you have seen in a response to one of your threads before, most questions you have have already been discussed and answered, probably with better details in various other threads instead of just this one that you are starting now.

It could be especially helpful to read about other interview experiences and the things asked or asked for. Considering the disproportionate number of Nigerians that I know and have known that live here, I would guess that you know some, too. See any that you can find IRL (in real life) and treat them to lunch to pick their brains about their interview and paperwork experiences. Take notes.

You are not the first person to do this. Learn from everyone who has marched this road before you. VJ along with other resources are goldmines for you and can save you a ton of stress and heartache if you can avoid many of their mistakes just by learning first.

Edited to add:

Oh yeah--take up a hobby while waiting through this--especially if it would be super annoying to a spouse since you are alone now. (I made a ring for my fiance. Bang-bang-bang-bang with a hammer for 6 months while watching TV shows on Netflix.) Or, get a second job. Being busy will keep you from focusing every minute on the delays and any extra money is a godsend when you have a spouse.

Good luck.

Edited by EminTX

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

I feel your pain.. for us i don't have a full time position.. lack two hours per week for that and no time off no benefits... so if i took time off i would have to save for at least 3 weeks. then pay the airfare (which is about 2k for the uptight seats lol) the person to watch my house etc.... and THEN prayerfully use all my savings to make the trip praying i wont need it for car repairs or medical bills when i come home...

I was with him at length when we were married but just wish i could do another trip now!

However, our small bank is going thru a merger and if i leave now i could easily lose my job and i have the opportunity to gain full time with benefits employment.

Nothing would make me happier right now than to be with my husband for two weeks.... but having a job to come home to right now in this economy is a MUST!

Wish things were different... :(

It puts you at a "catch22". You want and need the other visits and you want an approval, but you must keep your job, of which is difficult to come by. :(

Hello Myjourney1! I am a Nigerian and I would suggest you try to take out time and make another trip to Nigeria. One visit and one week stay might be a mountain on your case at the US Consulate in Lagos. All the best.

You're right; Okay I will plan another trip; Thanks! :-)

Edited by MyJourney1

Something about 30 days of face time seems to be the magic number for Lagos. Less than that amount of face time your chances for approval go down. A week you are at less than a 50% chance of getting approved. If you have lots of photos with family in public settings you may sneak by , otherwise plan another trip.

Okay; Thanks... :)

Hello Myjourney1! I am a Nigerian and I would suggest you try to take out time and make another trip to Nigeria. One visit and one week stay might be a mountain on your case at the US Consulate in Lagos. All the best.

Agree! :yes:

You should be OK with all your documentation, look at other Nigeria postings for similar issues. It is what it is, you can explain wanted to stay longer, but in this economy work is important. Good Luck.

:thumbs:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

because its lagos consulate, you cant always knw what exactly is good enuf.. each yr differs, even each intvw days differ.. but to make your support keep lookin stronger, u shld consider at least a two weeks visit btw now and ur NOA2 approval. and before u leave, give him a copy of ur stamped passport again.. and if u can visit durin da intvw, dat cld help. since u started in 2010ur and this is 2012, u shld hv at least seen each other twice already even if difficult.. u wld also be able to strt piling up mre pictures wit friends.. by the way, if dey do ask him why he had applied for visa before, he better not lie if visitin u was da reason..

Civ4UrA.jpgCiv4m5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

:thumbs: they just need to know or see if you guys spent so much time together and also with friends and family so you need such evidences like my fiance was in Nigeria like 5 different times esp during festive periods and we had lots and lots of pictures. Goodluck to you!!!

because its lagos consulate, you cant always knw what exactly is good enuf.. each yr differs, even each intvw days differ.. but to make your support keep lookin stronger, u shld consider at least a two weeks visit btw now and ur NOA2 approval. and before u leave, give him a copy of ur stamped passport again.. and if u can visit durin da intvw, dat cld help. since u started in 2010ur and this is 2012, u shld hv at least seen each other twice already even if difficult.. u wld also be able to strt piling up mre pictures wit friends.. by the way, if dey do ask him why he had applied for visa before, he better not lie if visitin u was da reason..

You know what? This is such an EXCELLENT IDEA! :thumbs: to visit him during his interview. And as far as him applying for a VISA before, he would say "Yes", which was when he tried to visit me. We had already made it our resolve to be truthful no matter what (even on embarrasing questions). We will assume that the Embassy are "Mind Readers" already knowing the answers to everything they're asking us. I love your idea to visit him while he has his Meeting; Thanks a mil! :thumbs:;)

Edited by MyJourney1

Hey! Would I even be allowed to got to the Interview with him? :unsure:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hey! Would I even be allowed to got to the Interview with him? :unsure:

Nope they won't let you in Embassy with him. But here's a tip I learned here on VJ. Give him your Passport when you arrive at embassy. When he is asked to hand over passport he will hand over yours also and that will alert the CO that you are there.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Nope they won't let you in Embassy with him. But here's a tip I learned here on VJ. Give him your Passport when you arrive at embassy. When he is asked to hand over passport he will hand over yours also and that will alert the CO that you are there.

:wow: I can't get over how smart you are! Thanks! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.