Renee and G

To Go or NoT to Go to the INTERVIEW???!!!

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I was there with Ben...they wouldn't let me inside the Consular Section, but I was right outside those doors. If you have the means to go, GO.

Edited by Ben and Jill

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

:ot: It's $1.05 now. B-)

Not true unless this JUST changed. I bought a sheet of these Friday morning (6 days ago) to send out wedding invitations to people in several countries.

Why are you complaining that this is OFF TOPIC if it is suggesting a way to be supportive if the decision is made to NOT go to the interview, as is being addressed in the title? We all know that it is a serious financial burden for most of us to go and with such a cheap option to consider, what's with the griping?

For all you who did decide to go to the interview, what was the financial cost--INCLUDING time missed from work (not just the flight/hotel/food/parking/transportation/etc)?

Edited by EminTX

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

:DAWWWWW thanks to you for all the support Renee! I think God is trying to tell you something here !!!! jajajajaja When you are facing a situation like this with U.S goverment we can never keep our cards, we have to give everything we have, and having our fiance there is big one! We never doubted it, we agree since the very beginning the we were going together, we don't see it like "my" visa is OUR visa. So if we started this together we're gonna end it together as team. He's my soulmate and I can't imagine going through this without him by my side.

I know thta you won't regret it!!!

tons of blessing and send some prayer on our way too pleaseeee!! JUSTA 4 DAYSSS

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

@Andrea - you bring warn fuzzy feelings to my heart!!! (L) its so great to meet other people that feel the way I do!! my thoughts and prayers will be with you guys next week!! but I know that everything will turn out great!!

be safe in ccs!!

28 Dec '11 - I-129F package sent

30 Dec '11 - NOA 1

24 May '12 - NOA 2

27 Jun '12 - NVC Received

29 Jun '12 - NVC left

08 Aug '12 - Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

@Andrea - you bring warn fuzzy feelings to my heart!!! (L) its so great to meet other people that feel the way I do!! my thoughts and prayers will be with you guys next week!! but I know that everything will turn out great!!

be safe in ccs!!

AWWWWWWWW :crying: thnaks nathalie!!! that's how it is, this place is plenty of love!!!jajajjaja we all feel the same, cause in the rough time you get to know real friends with true feelings. We are all a big team of venezuelan-americans couples so we have to support each other.

My parents have benn marry for almost 28 years and that's what I learn from them, always together no matter what, now is not about me or him, is not about my, mine is about our. is not our, is not about You and I now is all about "we". So we are jumping in together, no mtter what happen at the end. He's the love of my life and always will.

Thanks for the blessings<!!!! send you tons to all of you!!!

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
For all you who did decide to go to the interview, what was the financial cost--INCLUDING time missed from work (not just the flight/hotel/food/parking/transportation/etc)?
Amiga, the more accurate question is "How much did it cost NOT to go?"

It cost me a few thousand dollars in extra airfare & international expenses -- by being "ordered" to appear for the second (Stokes) interview by the ####### consul, time missed from work, countless phone calls to governmental officials and the ####### consulate, paying the cat-sitter, and more that I'm forgetting.

The emotional cost was even worse. For months, people observed that I was haggard and drawn from the tension & stress, and my work performance suffered. After the Stokes interview -- where we did NOT even get the courtesy of speaking with an American, we had to reveal the details of our sex life to a foreigner, and we got no answer except "return to your homes, and we will contact you" -- I slept for maybe 45 minutes on the 5.5-hour flight back. We didn't get Mrs. T-B.-to-be here in time to marry on what would have been my parents' anniversary, which would have been a tribute to their marriage made in heaven and would have comforted my grieving mother, whose only goal was to die to be with my dad. It took over two months of concerted daily activity to pry the visa free. We got Mrs. T-B.-to-be here 8 days after the deadline for getting her a state driver's license with any meaningful time on it.

All that because I reasoned, "Oh, I was just down there a month earlier, so I don't have to be there for the interview -- and nothing in the VisaJourney reports says that I have to go." Add that to the devious, deceptive practices by the ***censored*** personnel at every level of that louse-ridden hellhole, and that equaled the cost.

A buddy of mine estimates that he lost approximately $10,000 from having to deal with the ####### consulate's monkeyshines and not being able to get her here in time to qualify for "Married Filing Jointly" on the income taxes.

Without thinking too hard about it, I know seven other couples who got blindsided and hosed at least the same, two of them even worse. Go to the Ecuador reviews and ignore the positive ones (almost all of which read positively because people took my warnings and were both there), and read the one by PDXBicycleBoy. Everyone here needs to do that.

Caracas and Lima may not be as bad, but those can be some of the costs of NOT attending the FIRST interview.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Not true unless this JUST changed. I bought a sheet of these Friday morning (6 days ago) to send out wedding invitations to people in several countries.

Why are you complaining that this is OFF TOPIC if it is suggesting a way to be supportive if the decision is made to NOT go to the interview, as is being addressed in the title? We all know that it is a serious financial burden for most of us to go and with such a cheap option to consider, what's with the griping?

You misunderstood me - I meant that MY comment was Off Topic.

And the rates increased on 22 January. http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2011/pr11_factsht_pricechng_1018.pdf

My local Post Office never has the $1.05 stamps. Last time they sold me an 80c, 2 10c and a 5c. Try getting all those on a postcard and still have room for a message! ;)

Edited by cathy2904

01/27/2011 - Trevor's N400 submitted
02/18/2011 - Married
04/02/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received - priority date 03/30/2011
07/08/2011 - Trevor is now a USC - called USCIS to request upgrade of the petition.
08/02/2011 - NOA2
09/08/2011 - LND case number received, medical booked
09/26/2011 - Case complete at NVC
09/30/2011 - Interview date assigned
11/08/2011 - Interview - approved!!
11/10/2011 - Visa in hand
12/04/2011 - POE in Atlanta
12/12/2011 - SSN number received in mail
12/12/2011 - Welcome notice received
01/06/2012 - Green card received
09/06/2013 - File for Removal of Conditions
10/01/2013 - Biometrics for ROC
02/03/2014 - Card production email received

02/17/2014 - 2nd card production email received

02/28/2014 - 10 year Green card received

Timeline

And the rates increased on 22 January.

Yikes!!!! I have been using the 98 cent stamp all this time. For several items that went to differnt countries. Perhaps not everyone bothers to notice or the system hasn't been fully updated yet and they are on the honor system.

When I purchased this and the last sheets of stamps, I always request international stamps. Since this is what they give me, well....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Timeline

T-Bone,

For most of our situations, your experience is exceptionally negative. The cost of just a normal-no-trouble-K-1 is a hit to the budget and, to be honest, we did discuss the pros and cons. I was checking for cheap tickets up until 12 hours before his interview. (I did find one the day before for VERY cheap-arriving that morning and leaving that night-but that was still cost prohibitive.)

We here are all thankful that you are so vocal about your experience so that we can know and warn others about that particular embassy and country so thank you for helping us to not forget that things can easily go very wrong at the simple whims of faceless individuals.

Yikes!!!! I have been using the 98 cent stamp all this time. For several items that went to differnt countries. Perhaps not everyone bothers to notice or the system hasn't been fully updated yet and they are on the honor system.

When I purchased this and the last sheets of stamps, I always request international stamps. Since this is what they give me, well....

Oops, sounds like your local Post Office is about as efficient as mine! :whistle:

01/27/2011 - Trevor's N400 submitted
02/18/2011 - Married
04/02/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received - priority date 03/30/2011
07/08/2011 - Trevor is now a USC - called USCIS to request upgrade of the petition.
08/02/2011 - NOA2
09/08/2011 - LND case number received, medical booked
09/26/2011 - Case complete at NVC
09/30/2011 - Interview date assigned
11/08/2011 - Interview - approved!!
11/10/2011 - Visa in hand
12/04/2011 - POE in Atlanta
12/12/2011 - SSN number received in mail
12/12/2011 - Welcome notice received
01/06/2012 - Green card received
09/06/2013 - File for Removal of Conditions
10/01/2013 - Biometrics for ROC
02/03/2014 - Card production email received

02/17/2014 - 2nd card production email received

02/28/2014 - 10 year Green card received

Amiga, the more accurate question is "How much did it cost NOT to go?"

It cost me a few thousand dollars in extra airfare & international expenses -- by being "ordered" to appear for the second (Stokes) interview by the ####### consul, time missed from work, countless phone calls to governmental officials and the ####### consulate, paying the cat-sitter, and more that I'm forgetting.

The emotional cost was even worse. For months, people observed that I was haggard and drawn from the tension & stress, and my work performance suffered. After the Stokes interview -- where we did NOT even get the courtesy of speaking with an American, we had to reveal the details of our sex life to a foreigner, and we got no answer except "return to your homes, and we will contact you" -- I slept for maybe 45 minutes on the 5.5-hour flight back. We didn't get Mrs. T-B.-to-be here in time to marry on what would have been my parents' anniversary, which would have been a tribute to their marriage made in heaven and would have comforted my grieving mother, whose only goal was to die to be with my dad. It took over two months of concerted daily activity to pry the visa free. We got Mrs. T-B.-to-be here 8 days after the deadline for getting her a state driver's license with any meaningful time on it.

All that because I reasoned, "Oh, I was just down there a month earlier, so I don't have to be there for the interview -- and nothing in the VisaJourney reports says that I have to go." Add that to the devious, deceptive practices by the ***censored*** personnel at every level of that louse-ridden hellhole, and that equaled the cost.

A buddy of mine estimates that he lost approximately $10,000 from having to deal with the ####### consulate's monkeyshines and not being able to get her here in time to qualify for "Married Filing Jointly" on the income taxes.

Without thinking too hard about it, I know seven other couples who got blindsided and hosed at least the same, two of them even worse. Go to the Ecuador reviews and ignore the positive ones (almost all of which read positively because people took my warnings and were both there), and read the one by PDXBicycleBoy. Everyone here needs to do that.

Caracas and Lima may not be as bad, but those can be some of the costs of NOT attending the FIRST interview.

I know you had a really hard time because I remember it well. And I was glad it worked out for you in the affirmative. And, I do believe that you serve members well in reminding them that every consulate is different, and for some consulates, attendance of the USC at the interview is a must.

That being said, I think you still have a LOT of issues over the treatment you received. At the end of the day, you got what you wanted. Usually time heals immigration wounds. That doesn't seem to be happening for you. It could have been worse, you know. I really think you need to find a way to use your experience in a more positive way.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

It could have been worse, you know. I really think you need to find a way to use your experience in a more positive way.

I, personally, can't imagine a more positive way of dealing with an injustice than to warn others so that they can hopefully avoid it. For ones who don't or can't avoid it, they can at least be more mentally prepared for the challenge, should this silliness happen to them.

T-bone, again, thank you for speaking out.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

thank you to every one for sharing!!! :)

since posting this, i am reminded that we never really know what the outcome may be, as everyone has a unique and different experience! not all of the embassies are the same, not all interviewers are the same, not all couples have the same story. the most important thing is to feel confident and at ease with the choices that we make along the journey. my fiance and i are going to continue to put our faith in God, and ask that he CONTINUES to guide us. it is so hard to predict the right thing to do or to know the unknown.... dishing out $1-2K is obviously NOT the most ideal situation. if it saves us emotional stress and gives us the Visa, then it may be worth it or more! we are still discussing what we are going to do :bonk: lol and hoping to make the best decision! i have shared all of your advice with my fiance....we thank u so much and wish you all the absolute BEST!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
The cost of just a normal-no-trouble-K-1 is a hit to the budget
This is true, but see below.
not forget that things can easily go very wrong at the simple whims of faceless individuals.
This point deserves expansion. Consular staffs are not normally static -- personnel rotate in and out. One can expect a seemingly normal visa-interview experience, then be blindsided because a new Section Chief (or new Consul General) has been transferred in and has toughened or worsened the standards.

At best, there is no way that any of us can know any more than "personnel have changed" -- and 99.44% of us won't have a clue in regard to even that. We certainly can't know how we will be received or treated by the different personnel. It may be a rogue consul, or it may be a change in policy in regard to how visa applications are dealt with. It therefore behooves us to stack every controllable variable in our favor. This means that, because there are zero negatives and many potential or actual positives to the petitioner's being on the premises during the first interview in non-VWP countries, we should take every measure to be there.

This applies not just to Guayaquil, but to any consulate in any third-world country.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.