cjohnston207

She said Yes, now some advice?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Okay so now that we are engaged, what do we have to go about doing? She just received her OPT, considering she applied for that because she didn't know I was going to propose. We are speaking with an immigration's lawyer tomorrow at the College ... any specific questions we should ask? what should we do now, she has her OPT for one year, we are not planning to get married until next August, so we have some time, please let me know what needs to be done ASAP and what can wait ... I appreciate everything!

thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Okay so now that we are engaged, what do we have to go about doing? She just received her OPT, considering she applied for that because she didn't know I was going to propose. We are speaking with an immigration's lawyer tomorrow at the College ... any specific questions we should ask? what should we do now, she has her OPT for one year, we are not planning to get married until next August, so we have some time, please let me know what needs to be done ASAP and what can wait ... I appreciate everything!

thank you!

Hello CJ, and welcome to the forum and congratulations on your engagement!

Pardon my ignorance, but what's OPT? Where is your fiancee from? What kind of advise exactly do you need?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So shes already living in the USA... why apply for a K-1? why not just marry and adjust status now? K-1 means she has to return home and wait. If you marry now and apply to adjust status she never has to leave and can get her GC.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi,

Congratulations on your engagement. As your future wife is already in the US and your are planning to marry before her OPT training status expires, your case is looking good. Soon after your marriage ceremony you should file form I-130 concurrently with I-485 and I-765. If you want to travel you should also file I-131.

Right now, you can start by

1. Collecting evidence of your bona fide marriage such as

a) Shared financial interest (joint bank accounts, authorized credit card user, joint leases, joint electric bill, etc).

b) Pictures of you together.

2. You should take a peek at the poverty guide lines and make you that you can document an income of more than 125% of the appropriate number in form I-864P. If the poverty guide lines is a problem then you should start looking for a co-sponsor.

3. You should make sure that you have your federal income tax information for the last three years handy.

4. You should request a certified copy of you naturalization documents. You can get these from the issuing agency.

5. Schedule an appointment, for after your marriage ceremony, with an USCIS proved doctor to get the medical form I-693.

Edited by varming

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Congratulations on your engagement. As your future wife is already in the US and your are planning to marry before her OPT training status expires, your case is looking good. Soon after your marriage ceremony you should file form I-130 concurrently with I-485 and I-765. If you want to travel you should also file I-131.

Right now, you can start by

1. Collecting evidence of your bona fide marriage such as

a) Shared financial interest (joint bank accounts, authorized credit card user, joint leases, joint electric bill, etc).

b) Pictures of you together.

2. You should take a peek at the poverty guide lines and make you that you can document an income of more than 125% of the appropriate number in form I-864P. If the poverty guide lines is a problem then you should start looking for a co-sponsor.

3. You should make sure that you have your federal income tax information for the last three years handy.

4. You should request a certified copy of you naturalization documents. You can get these from the issuing agency.

5. Schedule an appointment, for after your marriage ceremony, with an USCIS proved doctor to get the medical form I-693.

Hey,

thanks for the information, she is from canada ... and her OPT will end next May, we were thinking of getting married in August ... of next year? so that is where we were wondering? should we just go to the justice of the peace and file the paper work sometime next year and do it that way ...? and your saying I don't need a K1 fiance visa ...? in simple terms what were looking for is she wants to stay here and not worry about going back to wait and then come back, she has a job lined up as a counselling for mistreated teens ... but people keep saying is she living her? I guess the answer is yes but she is on her OPT visa card ...

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey,

thanks for the information, she is from canada ... and her OPT will end next May, we were thinking of getting married in August ... of next year? so that is where we were wondering? should we just go to the justice of the peace and file the paper work sometime next year and do it that way ...? and your saying I don't need a K1 fiance visa ...? in simple terms what were looking for is she wants to stay here and not worry about going back to wait and then come back, she has a job lined up as a counselling for mistreated teens ... but people keep saying is she living her? I guess the answer is yes but she is on her OPT visa card ...

thanks

Yes people keep asking if she is living in the USA because you are making it more complicated than it needs to be. IF you marry while she is in the USA and file for adjustment of status she does not have to leave and go back to Canada she can stay in the USA. You do not have to file for any visa you only marry and adjust her status.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.