orangeneko

Has anyone here moved to the US on the Queen Mary 2?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've been looking into the Queen Mary 2 idea for when my fiance moves here since you can carry on as much luggage as you can physically store. However, what little info I've found on the web says the rooms are small overall (don't know if that's all rooms or just the basic ones).

Just wondering if anyone here has done it and how it worked out?

Check here, this should give you some answer :)http://www.cunard.com/Ships/Queen-Mary-2/Accomodation/

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

I have been looking into this as well. I have been told that the under bed area is storage, but the rooms are very small for inside cabins. I have also been told that you're not in your cabin much so if you don't mind being cramped a bit at night, it's not so bad. I'm hoping there's someone who's done it and has definite answers. What's your time frame? We're most likely looking at an autumn crossing.

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Initially filed for K1 visa - Feb 23 2012

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we've abandoned this application

We married on Aug 24, 2013 in a small ceremony in MA

We'll be applying for a CR1 / IR1 visa as soon as we are able

Watch this space for updates!

I've been looking into the Queen Mary 2 idea for when my fiance moves here since you can carry on as much luggage as you can physically store. However, what little info I've found on the web says the rooms are small overall (don't know if that's all rooms or just the basic ones).

Just wondering if anyone here has done it and how it worked out?

Ocean fares are often higher than air, sometimes quite a lot more; oyu might want to check on that.

What we did was to bring 2-3 suitcases by air; then ship by mail many other things (from Poland). Her son kept sending boxes that had been readied; each 1-2 weeks we would get 1-2 boxes by USPS. Cost is low as those are shipped by sea, takes several weeks to reach the USbut we have not rush. We are using regular std issued Poland post boxes. Maybe that would work best for you. Of course, we are not bringing any furniture; mostly clothing and shoes (I have never seen so many shoes in my life and certainly more than I had owned in my entire life :o ...but I'm guy)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Of course, we are not bringing any furniture; mostly clothing and shoes (I have never seen so many shoes in my life and certainly more than I had owned in my entire life :o ...but I'm guy)

hahaha yeah im a guy too and im thinking i can squeeze everything in to 1 checked bag and the maximum sized carry-on that i can get lol

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Timeline

Thanks for the info and the replies! We're looking for a late summer (Aug/Sep) move hopefully. The boat thing is iffy, I know it's probably no good in the end. I also just checked my frequent flyer acct to try and book something and saw that they've doubled the points needed for flights so I might just save them for a one way to bring my fiance here when the time comes.

I'm still thinking of the Queen Mary thing though....will have to read and think and figure it all out.

I know broma25 did this, but I'm not sure if she still posts here.

A thread from olden days on this: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/96255-sailing-transatlantic-on-the-queen-mary/

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Thanks for the info and the replies! We're looking for a late summer (Aug/Sep) move hopefully. The boat thing is iffy, I know it's probably no good in the end. I also just checked my frequent flyer acct to try and book something and saw that they've doubled the points needed for flights so I might just save them for a one way to bring my fiance here when the time comes.

I'm still thinking of the Queen Mary thing though....will have to read and think and figure it all out.

FYI, British Airways has the possibility of miles for one ways only. I did. A one way Warsaw-Houston with stop over in London was 25k miles and $200 (for the flights we wanted, while purchasing a 1-way was about $750 and the RT for $900); but allowed 2 bags plus 2 carry on.

hahaha yeah im a guy too and im thinking i can squeeze everything in to 1 checked bag and the maximum sized carry-on that i can get lol

I setup shelves in one of the closets at the house for shoes only. Seriously, it is unreal...I suspect the shoes are having sex in the closet and producing more shoes. One would think that's enough shoes for the next couple of lives, but to my surprise, additional ones were purchased here, they were on sale and that cannot be passed...

Edited by Gosia & Tito

I've read of several people going on the QM2 when moving in the reverse direction. It's especially popular for people moving with pets because of the high cost of airfare for animals. A couple (of humans :P ) and their dog can travel on the QM2 as cheaply as they could all fly over.

I'm not sure how it compares cost-wise human (boat) to human (plane). But I've read it's a lovely holiday. Never heard anyone grumble about the suite sizes.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

I've read of several people going on the QM2 when moving in the reverse direction. It's especially popular for people moving with pets because of the high cost of airfare for animals. A couple (of humans :P ) and their dog can travel on the QM2 as cheaply as they could all fly over.

I'm not sure how it compares cost-wise human (boat) to human (plane). But I've read it's a lovely holiday. Never heard anyone grumble about the suite sizes.

This is why we're looking into it! We're bringing a cat and they supposedly have fabulous pet care on the QM2. It would work out to be a 14+ hour trip in a carrier for her versus a double kennel and playroom for a week.

Plus, we get a holiday out of it for not too much more than plane tickets. We priced out 2 adults, 2 kids and a cat using both methods and it only worked out to be like $500 more cause the kids cruise free on some itineraries. We figure for the price difference, might as well get a week cruise with everything included and have a really cool story about how we came to the USA :)

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Initially filed for K1 visa - Feb 23 2012

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we've abandoned this application

We married on Aug 24, 2013 in a small ceremony in MA

We'll be applying for a CR1 / IR1 visa as soon as we are able

Watch this space for updates!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I immigrated on a cruise ship. It meant we could bring a lot of bags which was nice. We had to drag those bags on trains through Europe to get to Germany (Where we left from) which was hard. We brought 13 bags of varying sizes. Part of the fun was immigrating on a ship going past the Statue of Liberty going into New York City. We didn't have to go through Ellis Island though :-)

Timeline

How big was your room, EmigratingSwede? Was it comparable to one of the ones listed in the Queen Mary room size charts?

If I was going to the UK (which was the original plan and was struck down for some big reasons), I think I'd of ended up with the boat thing in the end just for the pets thing. I thought I was going to have to leave my cats at home, and felt horrible. I wouldn't have put them through the planes thing -- not unless they can have all of first class to themselves along with bird movies on!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I was in one of these

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/staterooms/dream-fantasy/deluxe-oceanview-stateroom-with-verandah/

But since I was doing some consulting on the ship (It was a work trip as well as an immigration voyage) I could stuff some of our bags under the bed of a colleague in the next room over.

Timeline

I was in one of these

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/staterooms/dream-fantasy/deluxe-oceanview-stateroom-with-verandah/

But since I was doing some consulting on the ship (It was a work trip as well as an immigration voyage) I could stuff some of our bags under the bed of a colleague in the next room over.

Thanks for the pic! Does look small -- and that's a deluxe room! I think IF my fiance came over with others who might want to be here for the wedding (may not be possible), then the moving on the QM2 could possibly be pulled off. But otherwise it may just be that he comes over on my frequent flyer points and then we ship things after. That boat option is such a challenge though....would be a really unique way to go and an experience!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.