Welshcookie

Sailing transatlantic on the Queen Mary...

27 posts in this topic

We are thinking of making this our main vacation when we finally leave the UK for the US. It will be a fabulous way to relax after the hassles of packing up a house. I think it will be pretty cool to sail into New York as a brand new immigrant :lol:

Anyone got any experiences to share? How did you book and what kind of cabin did you choose?

Wow...sounds awesome!

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

I know there was someone on the UK board who did do this and said it was the trip of a lifetime... Cannot for the life of me remember who it was!

We looked into it, but in the end couldn't justify spending the amounts. What is nuts is that it would have cost less to sail if we could have booked through the US site, but neither of us had a US credit card at that point. It was something like an $800/head difference -- and that was when the exchange rate was even less favourable than now. How they can justify charging UK-based peeps that much more a head is beyond me.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I know there was someone on the UK board who did do this and said it was the trip of a lifetime... Cannot for the life of me remember who it was!

We looked into it, but in the end couldn't justify spending the amounts. What is nuts is that it would have cost less to sail if we could have booked through the US site, but neither of us had a US credit card at that point. It was something like an $800/head difference -- and that was when the exchange rate was even less favourable than now. How they can justify charging UK-based peeps that much more a head is beyond me.

wow..thats very interesting to know thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Dawn,..

Just wondering if you will still be a military dependant at that stage?. Because, if you will be and you are coming back so your hubby can go to a new duty station or back to his place of enlistment so he can finally retire, I was lead to believe, you have to travel as a military dependant, on his orders back to the states, and can not travel independently (own means).

Or will he be sepearted from the military before you do this?. I'm just curious,..becasue my Father in Law retired after 20 years active AF, and had to retire back to his state of enlistment, prior to relocation?

I hope you can do it,..sounds like a wonderful idea though!!

Edited by jodee

"When a man is educated, an individual is educated; when a woman is educated, a family and a country are educated."

— Mahatma Gandhi

The timeline... (Frankfurt) for the kids visas

10/22/2007 Filed I-130 x 2 in person + paid 710 USD (355 each )

10/22/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 x 2

10/22/2007 Received the document checklist and FRN (case) numbers

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved, but I didn't know. I was away at the time, didn't get confirmation letters til I got back from the states.

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives in tha mail. According to the date received stamp on back of envelope at my post box.

Will now wait til hubby is back from Iraq to fax in checklist readiness, even though, I have been ready since day of lodging I-130's. all except medical.

02/18/2008 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate.

02/25/2008 Medicals completed.

02/25/2008 Appt letters in mail for appt on March 7th. Cant go due to prior military commitments. Emailed consulate and received an amended appt date of March 12th 2008.

03/12/2008 Visa interview - APPROVED x 2

03/27/2008 Visa's finally generated. I emailed the consulate. they apologised for the delay. They forgot to issue the visas after approval.

03/31/2008 Received visas

04/26/2008 Flying out of Frankfurt to next duty station on orders.

Ahhh...lovely Google! I just found out who it was -- broma25!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

He is retiring after this tour of duty here but we will be traveling together anyway. But I will get him to check the ins and outs of it all...life is never simple in the military huh? :lol:

Ahhh...lovely Google! I just found out who it was -- broma25!

awesome thanks! I will send her a PM :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

no, its never easy Dawn,..

What I meant by independently is, you cant pay for your own travel or means of travel to the States, if he is on retirement orders, Government has to pay for your trip stateside, its all part of the ETS procedure. Unless, they have allowances for paying you out the maximum travel entitlement, and you could put that towards your trip home on the QM. That would be awesome if they did that!!

Things may have changed, I am hoping they can do that for you!!

Jodee

Edited by jodee

"When a man is educated, an individual is educated; when a woman is educated, a family and a country are educated."

— Mahatma Gandhi

The timeline... (Frankfurt) for the kids visas

10/22/2007 Filed I-130 x 2 in person + paid 710 USD (355 each )

10/22/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 x 2

10/22/2007 Received the document checklist and FRN (case) numbers

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved, but I didn't know. I was away at the time, didn't get confirmation letters til I got back from the states.

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives in tha mail. According to the date received stamp on back of envelope at my post box.

Will now wait til hubby is back from Iraq to fax in checklist readiness, even though, I have been ready since day of lodging I-130's. all except medical.

02/18/2008 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate.

02/25/2008 Medicals completed.

02/25/2008 Appt letters in mail for appt on March 7th. Cant go due to prior military commitments. Emailed consulate and received an amended appt date of March 12th 2008.

03/12/2008 Visa interview - APPROVED x 2

03/27/2008 Visa's finally generated. I emailed the consulate. they apologised for the delay. They forgot to issue the visas after approval.

03/31/2008 Received visas

04/26/2008 Flying out of Frankfurt to next duty station on orders.

yeh...hubby did mention that they will pay up to a certain amount ie nominal airfare and we will pay the rest on top.

We are thinking of making this our main vacation when we finally leave the UK for the US. It will be a fabulous way to relax after the hassles of packing up a house. I think it will be pretty cool to sail into New York as a brand new immigrant :lol:

Anyone got any experiences to share? How did you book and what kind of cabin did you choose?

I LOVE that idea!!! Hope it works out!!!

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

What a fabulously romantic start to your life in the US! I looked into QM travel as a way of getting my Dad to the US as he has a flying phobia. I'm quite tempted to try it myself one of these days! Maybe a wedding anniversary sometime in the distant future... :whistle:

--------------------

(Full timeline in profile)

25th May 07 - Sent I-129F to TSC

17th December 07 - Interview- APPROVED! :)

17th May 08 - Got married!!!!! :)

18th June 08 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago lockbox

3rd October 08 - Green card in hand!!

26th August 10 - Sent I-751 to VSC

31st August 10 - NOA1 from VSC

10th January 11 - I-751 approved!

14th January 11 - 10-year green card in hand!!

22nd April 23 - N400 submitted online; NOA available in USCIS account immediately
6th November 23 - Interview; approval same day
28th November 23 - Oath ceremony scheduled

Well my flying phobia was a big reason why he came up with the idea....I had a miserable time last time we flew to the States :lol:

Well hopefully we can figure it out and do it...thanks guys :D

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

My MIL has been on the Queen Mary loads, but not transatlantic, just around the carribean. But she absoultly loves it. She lives in Miami and goes on cruises all the time, at least 2 a year, and she has great things to say about the Queen Mary. :thumbs::thumbs:

She was thinking of coming over here on it next time she visits. She hates flying too :hehe:

The UK Wiki

It was meeeee I came over on Queen Mary. It was excellent!!! I would higly recommend it.

We actually chose the cheapest cabin as we were not really concerned about a balcony or anything like that, but when we got on board we had been upgraded and had a window which was very nice.

We came over on the June crossing and being a Tranatlantic crossing my vision of sunbathing around the pool sipping cocktails was swapped for a wind swept walk around the decks.

I am not really sure what else you want to know so if you have anything specific either ask me here or PM me, and don't worry you can never ask me too many questions about the experience on the QMII

;)

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.