Mike&Tina

Mother In Law Tourist Visa From The Philippines

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi: I am about 5 months into the K1 process to bring my fiancee from the Philippines. We should hopefully learn of her acceptance for an interview in late May, given current timelines and potential will receive a visa in early August.

I would like to arrange for her mother to come here for the wedding (She is 71). She also has brothers and sisters here in the US. A further complication is that she has lived in the US and got a green card back in 2004 but left the country in 2007 and has not been back. She has no desire to move to the US but would like to visit periodically.

Advise I have gotten from a lawyer is to have her turn in her green card and apply for a tourist visa. Given the lead times I feel we have to apply for her visa now.

Her husband recently passed away, but in the philippines she has a small house, a son and 6 grandkids, a teacher's pension and is active in the community.

Any thoughts on her chances of getting a tourist visa.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

was her green card given for the 10 years? if so imo her renewal is not due yet and i would think visa would not be needed then again who am i lol

Apparently if you have a green card and are out of the country for over a year, and have no signs of residency, they will likely confiscate the card and send her back if she tries to enter the country with it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi: I am about 5 months into the K1 process to bring my fiancee from the Philippines. We should hopefully learn of her acceptance for an interview in late May, given current timelines and potential will receive a visa in early August.

I would like to arrange for her mother to come here for the wedding (She is 71). She also has brothers and sisters here in the US. A further complication is that she has lived in the US and got a green card back in 2004 but left the country in 2007 and has not been back. She has no desire to move to the US but would like to visit periodically.

Advise I have gotten from a lawyer is to have her turn in her green card and apply for a tourist visa. Given the lead times I feel we have to apply for her visa now.

Her husband recently passed away, but in the philippines she has a small house, a son and 6 grandkids, a teacher's pension and is active in the community.

Any thoughts on her chances of getting a tourist visa.

ditto, she lost her GC, the purpose of the GC is to reside in the US. if you don't reside after a year, the GC is considered abandoned. She will need to get a tourist visa to travel.

She abandoned her residency. Coincidentally, this might help her obtain a tourist visa for the wedding since she can reason that she has no

intention of staying in the US since she abandoned her residency. Good luck!

Philippians 4:13...I can do all things through Christ who strengthens meGC Received: 02/04/2012

Useful Links for K-1 Visa Petition for USEM Philippines:

Packet 3 for K-1: http://photos.state....3__rtf2_001.pdf

St Luke's Website: http://www.slec.ph/u...ml#clinic-hours

Link to Schedule Interview: http://cgifederal.force.com/

CFO Website for Seminar: http://www.cfo.gov.p...onals&catid=140

Povery Guideline: http://www.uscis.gov...form/i-864p.pdf

Website to Download DS 156, 156K, & 157: http://travel.state....forms_1342.html

Filed: Country:
Timeline
It doesn't hurt for her to apply for a tourist visa, however, she should expect to denied. Sorry, that is the typical outcome for Filipinos.

While this is generally true, there have been several reports on VJ of parents from several countries who were denied for B Class Visas getting Greencards using them to visit and then abandoning the Greencard and finally applying for and being approved for a B Class Visa after the Greencard abandonment as they made a clear demonstration that they didn't want to live in the US by abandoning residency.

I'd say it's worth a shot. Have her bring the old Greencard (if she still has it) to the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.