Wife12

do i need to change my name in all my id's,passport,greencard to my married name?

15 posts in this topic

i'm planning to file my petition to my husband(he's in the philippines), im an LPR.i came here in USA as single,then i went back to the philipinnes last year and we got married. do i need to change my name in to my married name in all my id's and documents?i'm a confused. thanks! godbless!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

i'm planning to file my petition to my husband(he's in the philippines), im an LPR.i came here in USA as single,then i went back to the philipinnes last year and we got married. do i need to change my name in to my married name in all my id's and documents?i'm a confused. thanks! godbless!

The document proves the relationship.... so no need to change your name UNLESS you want to.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,...

My wife was already a LPR when we got married,

she filed for our petition (me and our 2 teens),

without her changing her status, she was still single

in all of her documents, but of course we had submitted

the needed documents to NVC to show that we are indeed married.

So no need to change your name in any docs just yet...

Good luck...

PD ~ June 18, 2009

IMMIGRANT VISA APPROVED ~ March 15, 2012

VISA ON HAND ~ March 21, 2012

TOUCHDOWN California ~ April 8, 2012

GREEN CARD ON HAND ~ April 27, 2012

DMV Written ~ May 1, 2012 (passed TAKE 1)

DMV Actual ~ May 21, 2012 (passed TAKE 1)

California Driver's License ON HAND - June 11, 2012

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

hi, just wondering when does ur wife filed the petition and i saw on ur timeline March 2012 u have ur visa on-hand. I am a LPR and i went home last month to marry the father of my 4 kids (my kids r here alrdy). And he will be sending me the copy of our marriage cert this 15th of April and that will be the time i can file the petition. How many years would u think it will take for him to come here. Is there a way to expedite the process because it is so hard to be a single mother to 4 kids here. will a lawyer help?.. i hope i can get a respond.thanks

Hi,...

My wife was already a LPR when we got married,

she filed for our petition (me and our 2 teens),

without her changing her status, she was still single

in all of her documents, but of course we had submitted

the needed documents to NVC to show that we are indeed married.

So no need to change your name in any docs just yet...

Good luck...

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Yampiazkdaniel,

According to the latest visa bulletin as of April 2012 for family based category PD, which is in your case will be F2A, is October 8, 2009. So, for now the estimated wait is around three and a half years plus the additional time when its ready for processing. I'm sorry, but there is no expedite process for your husband's petition once you filed it with the USCIS. Hiring an immigration lawyer will not make the petition go faster. Like every body else with a family based petition, you have to wait for the petition to be current. Only a USC can have their spouse come and join them without having to wait for a PD. If you were already a USC ..... the wait will be less than a year.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

HI guys..i need your help please advice me if somebody know about my case. I petitioned my husband and hopefully this july will be current. his f2a. I would like to ask what if until now i didn't have any jobs. but my parents was help me for the affidavit of support.do u think so it will not affect my petition for him that i don't have any jobs? Also, we've been married for 3 years back in our country and her in the US I used my husbands family name during the fill up of papers w/ our marriage contract. but the thing is i didn't change yet my civil status because i am planning that i'm gonna change it when his here already. Is that a better idea.do you think so it will not affect my petition for him. please help me guys.thanks so much... :-)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

HI guys..i need your help please advice me if somebody know about my case. I petitioned my husband and hopefully this july will be current. his f2a. I would like to ask what if until now i didn't have any jobs. but my parents was help me for the affidavit of support.do u think so it will not affect my petition for him that i don't have any jobs? Also, we've been married for 3 years back in our country and her in the US I used my husbands family name during the fill up of papers w/ our marriage contract. but the thing is i didn't change yet my civil status because i am planning that i'm gonna change it when his here already. Is that a better idea.do you think so it will not affect my petition for him. please help me guys.thanks so much... :-)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Everything will b ok even if u don't have a job now cuz ur parents are d one who.will do the affidavit of support for.him. yes, I need to change ur status n docs when u get to US. Ur going to use those for supporting documents later

..u have to be in the US. While the petition is ongoing until he arrives in the US. Get documents ready which shows Proof of RELATIONSHIP u will use those later. Estimated time for us until I got.my husband here is 1 1/2 years.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

This is for you and anyone else who are in a similar situation.

My stepchildren legally changed their lastname to mine (I'm a USC by birth) but their native passports remained unchanged. My stepson "Americanized" his first and middle as well. When I contacted USCIS about what name to use (their new) or (original as stated on their passports.) I was told to use whatever name they want their immigration to be under. So naturally we went with their new name. All we did was with each petition for I-130 I added a short letter explaining why the name was different and a copy of the court order granting the change.

As for me, the petitioner (male) several years ago I legally changed my name to that of my birth father's. While my mother was pregnant with me she was in an auto accident and as a result went into labor. The hospital put my last name the same as hers that was on her license (maiden).

So when I submitted my birth certificate it had a different last name than what was on my drivers license. A separate letter with court ordered changes was enough. None of it has come up as an issue.

So in short if you are going by your husbands last name then on the petition put that last name. Your marriage certificate is your legal document of that name change. You shouldn't have any problems.

Edited by dm559

This is for you and anyone else who are in a similar situation.

My stepchildren legally changed their lastname to mine (I'm a USC by birth) but their native passports remained unchanged. My stepson "Americanized" his first and middle as well. When I contacted USCIS about what name to use (their new) or (original as stated on their passports.) I was told to use whatever name they want their immigration to be under. So naturally we went with their new name. All we did was with each petition for I-130 I added a short letter explaining why the name was different and a copy of the court order granting the change.

As for me, the petitioner (male) several years ago I legally changed my name to that of my birth father's. While my mother was pregnant with me she was in an auto accident and as a result went into labor. The hospital put my last name the same as hers that was on her license (maiden).

So when I submitted my birth certificate it had a different last name than what was on my drivers license. A separate letter with court ordered changes was enough. None of it has come up as an issue.

So in short if you are going by your husbands last name then on the petition put that last name. Your marriage certificate is your legal document of that name change. You shouldn't have any problems.

thank you very much for your reply!

Timeline

thank you very much for your reply!

Mine too we are in the same situation. I didn't change any documents. I just sign those forms w/ his family name and civil status married. also, submitted our marriage contract.

Don't worry every things went well. they never question me about it. The marriage certificate acknowledge that both of u are married no matter you didn't change your status. Until now I'm

her in the US i still used my dad's family name w/ a single status. Best of luck to u! Godbless kabayan!!!

Mine too we are in the same situation. I didn't change any documents. I just sign those forms w/ his family name and civil status married. also, submitted our marriage contract.

Don't worry every things went well. they never question me about it. The marriage certificate acknowledge that both of u are married no matter you didn't change your status. Until now I'm

her in the US i still used my dad's family name w/ a single status. Best of luck to u! Godbless kabayan!!!

your replies is a big relief, i really want to get my husband as soon as possible, it is so hard to be far away from him. THank you for the advices. GOd bless you too. If i will have more questions about the process, can i ask you still because as what you have said we are in the same situation so you know exactly what im struggling... im planning to file the petition by jly or august because i just started a ob. thank ou again!

Timeline

your replies is a big relief, i really want to get my husband as soon as possible, it is so hard to be far away from him. THank you for the advices. GOd bless you too. If i will have more questions about the process, can i ask you still because as what you have said we are in the same situation so you know exactly what im struggling... im planning to file the petition by jly or august because i just started a ob. thank ou again!

Ok kabayan! anytime...dapat start kna kaagad pra ma process na...mg aantay kapa ng 2 1/2 to 3 yrs...then start kna pra priority date is early...Gudluck kabayan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.