happylove

Affadavit of support

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Iraq
Timeline

Hi everyone

My fiance and our are getting ready to file. We have a dilemma and would greatly appreciate comments:

I am a woman and I have not worked much in several years. A few years ago I got some inheritance and my hip was starting to go out and I basicly lived off the inheritance with some work but not much. My hip has progressively gotten worse so that I can barely walk. I have enough money in my inheritance to cover 5 times the current poverty level for three people - my son, my fiance and myself.

In telling Our Story of how we met which is comprised of a couple pages, I have mentioned a lot about my hip and how it was very difficult for me to go to the UAE to meet my fiance. It was!! But I did it. I want to try to get some type of work sitting if possible even though my leg and hip bother me also.

We are concerned about the affadavit of support because I don't want us to be denied. Are resources enough? Mine would just barely cover it. But we could get a co-sponsor. But will it go horribly against us if I have not been working?? We need to show the strength of our relationship and its validity because there is a huge age difference between my fiance and me. I am 55 he is 32. I mentioned extensively my hip problems to show I went to the UAE under very challenging circumstances. But on the other hand, does it make it look like all the money from my inheritance could go for an operation thus I would not have the abilty to claim support for my fiance for the five years? I am looking into Basic Health where help is dertemined based on income. If I can get on the plan, I might be able to get help paying for my operation where I would pay 20% instead of the entire cost. I would like to work if possible to start making some money -- not only because of the visa, but I need to stop living off the money that is left even though I live with a lot of struggle and pain. When my fiance arrives and is eligible to work, he has a master's degree in engineering, so he is not in danger of being a burden to the state. We don't know how we should approach writing about our relationship. Should I emphaize my hip problem to stress the validity of our relationship? I want to show how I loved my fiance so much as to travel alone to meet him in this condition. Or should I not mention it because it might look bad to the authorities who look over affadavit of support? This is very confusing to us. Any comments would be appreciated.

Edited by LandofTreesWoman

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Your case sounds kind of confusing and perhaps too much information for USCIS (IMO). I'm not sure if emphasizing your hip problem validates your relationship as you've mentioned. I'm trying to see this from the eye's of an adjudicating office so please don't take offence - but I think the hip replacement might make your age difference appear even larger.

Your affidavit of support comes later - at your fiance's interview. I would suggest reading the guides here and on the USCIS website for the I-134 and financial requirements. I believe I read somewhere that both yours and his assets can be taken into consideration, as well as his current earnings and future potential earnings/career in the US. A co-sponsor is another option.

I would concentrate on proving you have physically met within two years by providing lots of supporting documentation and photos, and proof of an ongoing and genuine relationship.

Right or wrong, a signficant age difference can draw extra attention to the genuine nature of your relationship.

Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Ok, I don't usually post here, i usually lurk and ask some questions because i am new at this also. However, when reading your post all sorts of red flags rose up for me. Now realize, i am not the one you have to convince, but being 'just your average citizen' and reading htis and getting red flags might prompt you to have some caution.

You don't say how long you have known your fiance so i cannot base my answer on that, however, the age difference, your health issues, and you not spending much time together can't look good in the eyes of an adjudicating officer.

I would rethink this and your approach to it, and make sure that someone else that is wise and that you trust, helps you to annalyize this situation. Make sure you don't have your 'love is blind and i am lonely' blinders on.

I also want you to know that i do not mean anything negitive by what i say, i am only sharing what i thought when i read your post.

God Bless you, and good health...

February - March 2002 we met in Mexico

August 2002 - we are an 'official' couple

Many visits back to Mexico over 4years!

June 2006 - Officially Engaged!

August 28, 2006 I-129F mailed to Nebraska

August 30, 2006 received in Nebraska

September 7, 2006 NOA1 Notice Date

September 11, 2006 NOA1 received in snail mail

September 12, 2006 Touched (most likely to add Receipt Number to system)

September 13, 2006 Touched

September 14, 2006 Touched AGAIN!!! (what's up with this?)

Novemberr 13, 2006 NOA2 (77 DAYS!) YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!

December 6, 2006 Received Notice that everything was sent to Juarez

January 26, 2007 Juarez sends out packet

February 3, 2007 received packet from Juarez

February 6, 2007 going to medical & interview in Juarez!

February 6, 2007 RECEIVED VISA!!!

February 9, 2007 FLIGHT TO US!!!

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Your hip problem has nothing to do with how you met, and I wouldnt even mention it. Just document your meeting within the past two years. Look at the form I-134 Aff, of Support. There are instructions on how to use assets vs. income.

You should look for a post here somewhere from Ellis Island. He is an attorney and has written an article about red flags that some consulates will be looking for to judge the quality of your relationship. Your age difference will be a major one and they will look deeper to see what other cultural norms dont fit in your case.

good luck, as I think that you are looking at a long uphill battle.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Your hip problem has nothing to do with how you met, and I wouldnt even mention it. Just document your meeting within the past two years. Look at the form I-134 Aff, of Support. There are instructions on how to use assets vs. income.

You should look for a post here somewhere from Ellis Island. He is an attorney and has written an article about red flags that some consulates will be looking for to judge the quality of your relationship. Your age difference will be a major one and they will look deeper to see what other cultural norms dont fit in your case.

good luck, as I think that you are looking at a long uphill battle.

Red Flags - ellis-island

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6769&hl

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Timeline

LandofTreesWoman,

Please have a consultation with an immigration attorney - an immigration attorney who specializes in family-based immigration and who has experience with the visa post where your fiance will apply for his visa.

Yodrak

Hi everyone

My fiance and our are getting ready to file. We have a dilemma and would greatly appreciate comments:

I am a woman and I have not worked much in several years. A few years ago I got some inheritance and my hip was starting to go out and I basicly lived off the inheritance with some work but not much. My hip has progressively gotten worse so that I can barely walk. I have enough money in my inheritance to cover 5 times the current poverty level for three people - my son, my fiance and myself.

In telling Our Story of how we met which is comprised of a couple pages, I have mentioned a lot about my hip and how it was very difficult for me to go to the UAE to meet my fiance. It was!! But I did it. I want to try to get some type of work sitting if possible even though my leg and hip bother me also.

We are concerned about the affadavit of support because I don't want us to be denied. Are resources enough? Mine would just barely cover it. But we could get a co-sponsor. But will it go horribly against us if I have not been working?? We need to show the strength of our relationship and its validity because there is a huge age difference between my fiance and me. I am 55 he is 32. I mentioned extensively my hip problems to show I went to the UAE under very challenging circumstances. But on the other hand, does it make it look like all the money from my inheritance could go for an operation thus I would not have the abilty to claim support for my fiance for the five years? I am looking into Basic Health where help is dertemined based on income. If I can get on the plan, I might be able to get help paying for my operation where I would pay 20% instead of the entire cost. I would like to work if possible to start making some money -- not only because of the visa, but I need to stop living off the money that is left even though I live with a lot of struggle and pain. When my fiance arrives and is eligible to work, he has a master's degree in engineering, so he is not in danger of being a burden to the state. We don't know how we should approach writing about our relationship. Should I emphaize my hip problem to stress the validity of our relationship? I want to show how I loved my fiance so much as to travel alone to meet him in this condition. Or should I not mention it because it might look bad to the authorities who look over affadavit of support? This is very confusing to us. Any comments would be appreciated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.