Jon&Clau

Visa Approved in Bogota 03/22/12

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello VJ community, Clau´s Visa was approved today at the US Embassy in Bogota!! Many thanks to everyone who contributed their experience here as the discussions really helped me with a smooth and quick experience. I think anyone who is about to have an interview in Bogota, it is wise to review the posts of those who recently had interviews because what many of us have found, the information the embassy dispenses tends to be inaccurate or inconsistent from one petition to the next. I was reading the recent post where someone this past week was asked for form DS230. I thought this topic was beaten to death here at this forum and it seemed it was a dead issue...not required for K type visas. I did not even bring this form to her interview, and it was not on the card they handed us for documents they wanted put together. But with that said, had I known it was possible they would ask for it, I would have brought it with me just in case, so my advice, when in doubt, bring it as your back-up just in case. So here is a recap of our experience.

I had scheduled Clau´s medical on a Wednesday with her interview the next day. I would have preferred to have had a couple days gap between the medical and interview, but I could only get both during the same week the week of March 19th unless I wanted to wait until April. I only bring this up in case some of you are concerned that this can be done and it can provided nothing unexpected with the medical comes up.

Lodging: I stayed at the Embassy Suites hotel. It´s a very nice hotel with hot water!! It is about a 30 minute taxi ride give or take a few minutes with traffic to the embassy.

Vaccinations: The US requires the following shots: MMR, TD, Varicela, and influenza. You can get the shots prior to the medical exam, but you must get them done within one week prior to the medical exam or they will tell you the shots are too old, which is BS. In Claudia´s case, she had a health plan called EPS in Colombia. Her plan allowed her to get the MMR and TD at no charge, but the Varicela and influenza was not included. When we called Dr. Dennis to find out the cost of the Varicela and influenza, and it was just slightly more than what she could get in Barranquilla, but we decided to just get all the shots done on the same day in Barranquilla. Just make sure you bring the shot records with you to the medical exam.

Photos required by the embassy: I might have glossed over this one, but there is a difference between passport photos and visa photos. The visa photos are larger, and this is what the embassy wants. When I arrived in Bogota, Clau showed me her photos and they were passport photos. She claims I told her to get passport photos, and she might be correct so just be aware there is a difference. I had her get another set of photos using the correct size for visas.

Lab Tests: We got there around 6:30am. There were about 5 other people ahead of us but Clau was out of there in about 1 hour. One added note…the petitioner is not allowed to wait in the waiting room and has to wait outside, so bring a coat if you decide to go with your fiancee´.

Medical Exam: Clau made her appointment with Dr. Dennis. She said he was very nice and felt comfortable with him. Our appointment was at 3:30pm, but we arrived there at 3:00pm, and were out of there about 5pm. The low point this trip was that it took almost an hour to get back to the hotel as the traffic was so bad at that hour.

Visa Interview: Clau´s interview was scheduled at 7:30am, but we got there at 7:00am. When we arrived, there was this huge line of people. If you are there for a K1 or K2 visa, walk towards the embassy and look for the sign that says line 3. We could not see the sign with the line number because line 4 was so long, so just walk towards the embassy and you will see line 3 has only a small number of people waiting.

Security took our cell phones while we were in the embassy, but no problem getting it back when we were finished. We were handed this laminated card with the documents they wanted and in the order they wanted it. They also wanted and kept the confirmation page from the on-line system when you scheduled the interview. As I said in the beginning of this post, the DS230 was not mentioned on the card, but I think you should bring it anyway, since a prior poster said he was asked for it as recently as 3/19/12. For her birth certificate, the card never said anything about turning over an English version, so I told Clau to just give them the Spanish version, and if they wanted the English version, we had it ready. They never asked for the English version, but we did include her baptismal certificate. They also never asked for any proof of our relationship which I also had ready. The questions they asked were very general, where and when did you meet, where does he work, where will you get married in the US. They never asked me a single question, and only put me on the phone to remind me to make sure the on-line account specified the location of where the visa should get delivered to, and it would take two weeks for delivery. This entire event took 2 hours.

So that´s my report. My last piece of advice to anyone about to do this is when in doubt of what to bring, bring it anyway because it´s not worth having to make a second trip back.

Best wishes to all,

Jon & Clau

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congratulations!

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

congrats!

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Congratulations!!! Felicitaciones!! Los Felicitos!!! Que Tenga Muy Buena Suerte!!!

K1 VISA PROCESS
2011-10-24: I-129F Sent from Doral, FL to lock box, Dallas, TX
2011-10-31: Received USCIS NOA1 Letter
2012-04-02 (8:30AM): I-129F Approved. NO RFE!
2012-04-06: Received USCIS NOA2 Letter
2012-06-06: Interview / Approved!!!
2012-06-15: (2:20PM) POE Miami International Airport
2012-06-26: Married

AOS PROCESS
2012-08-31: Sent I-485 and I-765 applications from Doral, FL to lock box, Chicago, IL
2012-09-06: Case accepted and routed to USCIS National Benefits Center for processing
2012-09-13: Received both I-485 and I-765 NOA's (9/6/12) and the Biometrics appointment letter
2012-10-03: Biometrics taken
2012-11-05: I-765 - Approved - Employment Authorization Card production ordered
2012-11-09: I-765 - Employment Authorization Card mailed
2012-11-13: I-765 - Employment Authorization Card received

2013-07-05 (11:45AM): AOS Approved. NO RFE. NO Interview.

2013-07-11: Green Card mailed.

2013-07-12: Received I-797, NOA, Welcome to the USA

2013-07-15: Green Card received.

2016-04-06: Earliest Accepted ROC Filing Date

AOS Approved 7/5/2013:
308 days (10 months & 8 days) since AOS package was sent
302 days (10 months & 2 days) since NOA1
275 days (9 months & 5 days) since Biometrics taken

1PVym5.png

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Congrats and thank you for posting as this paves the way for people like me and my fiancee whowill be scheduling our interview date next week.

Thanks again!

--------------------------------K-1----------------------------
October 1, 2011 Mailed I-129F Application
October 7, 20122 Notice Date of NOA 1
February 15, 2012 Received Hard Copy of Approved NOA 2
March 8, 2012 Rec email Pacs 3/4 US Embassy in Bogota
March 29, 2012 Scheduled Interview
June 7, 2012 Interview APPROVED!

------------------------------Arrival @ LAX-----------------------------
July 27, 2012 Arrived POE @ LAX
October 21, 2012 Married (L) (L)

------------------------------AOS----------------------------------
April 20, 2013 Mailed AOS package

April 29, 2013 AOS NOA

May 22, 2013 Biometric date

June 7, 2013 NOA, rec. interview date for 7-16-13

June 18, 2013 EAD/AP Approved

June 29, 2013 Rec. in mail EAD/AP combo card

July 8, 2013 AOS process on HOLD, interview canceled unsure.png as wife returned to Colombia on medical emergency!

Oct. 17, 2013 AOS Interview re-schedule to November 20, 2013

Nov. 1, 2013 Rec. Notice from USCIS that 11-20-13 interview "due to unforseen circumstances" has been CANCELED. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

December 18, 2013 Rec. notice that AOS interview has been re-scheduled for January 17, 2014 (we will see)

January 17, 2014 Interview and AOS was APPROVED! dancin5hr.gif

January 27, 2014 Received GREEN CARD in mail! kicking.gif

-----------------------ROC----------------------

December 23, 2015 ROC Mailed I-751 to CSC

December 30, 2015 ROC NOA1

January 25, 2016 ROC Bio appointment

May 26, 2016 Approved!

June 4, 2016 - Received 10-year PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD in mail! :thumbs:

-----------------------CITIZENSHIP------------------

November 16, 2016 Mailed

November 19, 2016 NOA date

December 13, 2016 Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Congrats and thank you for posting as this paves the way for people like me and my fiancee whowill be scheduling our interview date next week.

Thanks again!

Sure thing D N Medellin...I just got back from my trip so send me an eMail if there is anything I can help you with!!

Jon&Clau

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.