Odders

Am I doing this all wrong, or could this work?

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

This is my first post and I was hoping for some opinions regarding my plans.

I began the year getting to know my Natalie initially via an online dating agency. We get on incredibly. I have stayed with her in LA and she has stayed with me here in the UK. We get on so well that we have decided to spend our lives together. I have agreed to be with her in the US and build a life there together.

My plans started by getting an ‘appraisal’ from VisaPlus; After paying my initial ₤99 they returned with the ‘good news’ that passed the appraisal and that I was going to the US. Two weeks later I was given the added information that it would take 24 months and three thousand pounds! Well, I can’t wait 24 months!

Tell me if I am mad, but I am selling-up everything and going to stay in LA on a visitors visa in December this year. I am confident that my current company will retain/need my services (Programmer/Web Developer) for a few months so I can earn a wage while I am in the US. We plan get married next year and use Direct Consular Filing to make it official.

Natalie has lived in the US for 25 years but retains a Jamaican passport. She is in the process of finalizing her American Citizenship which should be complete within the next 3 months. She is also going through divorce proceedings which will be finalized late 2007. I have never been married.

Thank you for any feedback.

Edward

Edited by Odders

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

24 months and 3000 pounds....

I'd say wrong.

So if you want to do DCF in London, you'll need to have the USC move to the UK and live there for a set period of time. (And get married of course). DCF is not done in the states, so moving here and working won't allow you to file DCF. You should really read the guides about this.

So some of your options arE:

1. Have her move to the UK, get married, live there for set amount of time (see others posts) and apply for DCF. (Maybe her jamaican passport might help with something here...but I doubt it.)

2. Stay in the Uk, she stays in the US, you apply for a K-1 - you wait - not 24 months unless your case is really odd...and you come over on a fiance visa and then get married

3. You get married, wherever, return to the UK, she stays in the Us, you apply for a K-3 and wait...again not 24 months.

none of those options would cost 3000 pounds (visa fees alone...) so....this is by no means comprehensive but just to say ...your idea of what DCF is is off, and it should take 24 months, not cost 3000 pounds.

Oh and read the guides!!

err NOT take 24 months...

sorry

Edited by CarolineM

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline
Hi everyone!

I began the year getting to know my Natalie initially via an online dating agency. We get on incredibly. I have stayed with her in LA and she has stayed with me here in the UK. We get on so well that we have decided to spend our lives together. I have agreed to be with her in the US and build a life there together.

My plans started by getting an ‘appraisal’ from VisaPlus; After paying my initial ₤99 they returned with the ‘good news’ that passed the appraisal and that I was going to the US. Two weeks later I was given the added information that it would take 24 months and three thousand pounds! Well, I can’t wait 24 months!

Tell me if I am mad, but I am selling-up everything and going to stay in LA on a visitors visa in December this year. I am confident that my current company will retain/need my services (Programmer/Web Developer) for a few months so I can earn a wage while I am in the US. We plan get married next year and use Direct Consular Filing to make it official.

Natalie has lived in the US for 25 years but retains a Jamaican passport. She is in the process of finalizing her American Citizenship which should be complete within the next 3 months. She is also going through divorce proceedings which will be finalized late 2007. I have never been married.

Edward

It can be that other are trying to throw again stones at me....,

But after what you write I would say, your plan is considered as visa fraud. There are 2 ways. She can file on your behalf for a K-1 visa once she is divorced, or you wait until she is divorced, marry her and file with her for a K-3 visa.

DCF is, at least in germany, only possible, if both partners have their residence in germany. I am not sure how much the consulates and embassy in the UK vary.

Using the visitor visa to stay in the USA permanently would be definately visa fraud and could cause serious problems for you. Especially after you announced it on the internet. This forum is open to everyone, even employees of federal agencies.

Once you met her, why are you still connected to this online dating service? You can go through the visa process yourself, without their assistance.

It involves reading and the ability to write.

Please inform yourself which consequences you could face if you go on with your plan. K-1 and K-3 visa are very common and a K-1 could bring you in the USA for marriage and you can stay there after your marriage and adjust status.

For a K-3 visa you have to wait abroad while your visa gets processed.

Think twice what you are going to do. It can affect your life alot, and not just in a good way.

Markus - Las Vegas, NV

32821198.gif

Filed: Timeline

Edward,

You need to have a consultation with a real US immigration attorney. I'm sure you can find one in the UK. Then you can decide how you want to procede, and whether you want to procede on your own or with the assistance of an immigration attorney.

Yodrak

Hi everyone!

My plans started by getting an 'appraisal' from VisaPlus; After paying my initial ₤99 they returned with the 'good news' that passed the appraisal and that I was going to the US. Two weeks later I was given the added information that it would take 24 months and three thousand pounds! Well, I can't wait 24 months!

Edward

If you're going to go the K-1 route, you need to understand that she must be a USC at the time, and must be free and able to marry. You mention she isn't divorced yet, and that she's not an American citizen. I don't think this is an option then (K-1).

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

He says she is almost finished getting her american citizenship - so when she does, in three months, he could.

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

if we had VisaJourney I probably would not of hired an attorney for the K1.

The quickest way is to get your K1. I think it is a 9 month process and under a thousand dollars in fees. Being that you have spent time together, it should be no problem proving the relationship.

If your job is not UK dependent and the company is going to continue to pay you into your UK account. I would not worry about it, being that you are not technically working in the US, you are on the internet. I know alot of people will probably dissagree, but if you are paying the UK taxes and it is income from the UK, then it has no real relevance here. I justify it this way, if you were on vacation here, and they needed something done, if you performed that work and were paid into your UK account, then it would not affect your stay.

Edited by John & Annie

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
He says she is almost finished getting her american citizenship - so when she does, in three months, he could.
You need to read the OP's complete post, he also mentioned that she is in the process of getting a devorce and wont be final until late 2007. So not until divorce is final could begin the process, so the timming would be at least 6-9 months from "late 2007".

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

i did read the whole post, I was only addressing the citizenship issue.

I am fully aware the divorce must be final, as was stated by a previous poster.

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Visaplus has about THE worst reputation possible. Here is a page load of links to sad stories from just one website:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/search.php?searchid=682059

I'll read the thread now for the rest of the story. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

The quickest way is to get your K1. I think it is a 9 month process and under a thousand dollars in fees. Being that you have spent time together, it should be no problem proving the relationship.

If your job is not UK dependent and the company is going to continue to pay you into your UK account. I would not worry about it, being that you are not technically working in the US, you are on the internet. I know alot of people will probably dissagree, but if you are paying the UK taxes and it is income from the UK, then it has no real relevance here. I justify it this way, if you were on vacation here, and they needed something done, if you performed that work and were paid into your UK account, then it would not affect your stay.

I have no intention of breaking any immigration laws in the US. I plan staying on a visitors visa and my income WILL come from the UK and I will be paying the normal dues.

I will not regard myself as a permanent resident and will return when the visa has expired. Then simply return. And when the time is right (when my partner has full citizernship and becomes free to marry after her divorce) then what barriers will appear if we marry US?

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Edward

hi Edward,

You're mad. :)

You can't just move to the US, that's one problem. You need a visa of some sort, often of some specific sort. I don't see any mention of how, other than arriving on a visitor's visa, you plan on accomplishing this.

Your options are:

-Immediate relative (spouse or fiance-tn the roundabout way)

-Work (requires employer sponsorship and limited availability)

-Family (got to have them first, and it's a long wait)

There are few other options.

You may not work while you are here as a visitor. Your girl doesn't provide an option until she is a US citizen AND is free to marry.

Direct Consular Filing is available only to USCs who are resident in the UK.

Something will work, but not what you've put forth so far. And watch it w/visaplus---hopefully that 99GBP is all you'll lose to them.

I have no intention of breaking any immigration laws in the US. I plan staying on a visitors visa and my income WILL come from the UK and I will be paying the normal dues.

I will not regard myself as a permanent resident and will return when the visa has expired. Then simply return. And when the time is right (when my partner has full citizernship and becomes free to marry after her divorce) then what barriers will appear if we marry US?

You may VISIT the US for 90 days, as a UK citizen. You may not work, even for an out-of-US organization, during that time.

You may hear about people who leave, turn around and come back for another 90 days, but I can assure you, one day you will be pulled aside, interogated and sent back to the Uk on the next flight.

You may NOT enter the US on a non-immigrant option (VWP, visitor etc) with the intent to immigrate (that's the barrier you asked about).

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Other Timeline

Anyways, read your original posting. And DCF is not working the way you think.

Plus, if you can't show ties to your home country the consulate will give you alot to think, but not your desired visitor visa.

Markus - Las Vegas, NV

32821198.gif

This is from the VisaJourney FAQ regarding DCF's...

In this circumstance, the U.S. citizen marries the foreign fiance (either in the foreign fiance's country, in the US, or in a third country...the location does not matter as long as it is a legal marriage) and applies DIRECTLY through the foreign U.S. consulate for the spousal visa.

Can the DCF's be done in the US or not???

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.