jazzly

Establishing credit score in US for Canadians

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am looking for advice on establishing credit in the US for the new immigrant from Canada. I have an excellent credit history in Canada. But I am told that I will have to start from scratch. All of my banking is with TD bank, which has purchased couple of banks on East coast and have branches now from Maine to Florida. I am moving to Michigan where TD is not present. I have an option to convert my 7 year old USD account in TD into TD Borderless USD account, which has several benefits.

Will a Borderless account help me establish credit in US before I move? What are my options?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have your spouse add you to their credit card or get a credit card with capital one that has a very low balance on it to start off.

When my husband added me to his capital one credit card I instantly had 6 years of good credit. Not long after that they sent me an application for my own card which I now have.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

I am looking for advice on establishing credit in the US for the new immigrant from Canada. I have an excellent credit history in Canada. But I am told that I will have to start from scratch. All of my banking is with TD bank, which has purchased couple of banks on East coast and have branches now from Maine to Florida. I am moving to Michigan where TD is not present. I have an option to convert my 7 year old USD account in TD into TD Borderless USD account, which has several benefits.

Will a Borderless account help me establish credit in US before I move? What are my options?

Search the Cdn forum for 'credit' and you'll find a boat-load of threads on this very item. Some have been lucky enough to piggy back on the spouses credit rating, others have not, others have found lenders who are willing to take your Cdn history into account. There is no hard and fast rule and the institutions make the choice.

A borderless account won't establish credit history unless they report to the US credit bureaus which is doubtful (Experien, Equifax and Transunion). To be clear as well - the US versions of these companies are not linked to teh Cdn equivalents from what we've seen.

Yes - this move has screwed a few of us and starting from scratch stinks but can't be helped

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Denmark
Timeline

If you happen to have an American Express in Canada then you can move that account to the US. See http://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/united-states.html . This will get your credit history started very quickly.

Timeline

I went TD Borderless as well when I moved here and still maintain that account, but no, it does not count in regards to establishing a credit rating in the US. Transferring your American Express accounts to the US will offer the best route towards getting any of your Canadian credit to be considered in the US. The Visa, MC and store accounts don't transfer. You may also wish to get hard copy print outs of your Canadian credit scores before you leave. It may provide an extra bonus when applying for credit in the US to offer a print out since it is unlikely a US provider will check - but with a print out in hand, they just may take the trouble, especially if your credit is good in Canada. There are no guarantees but it certainly won't hurt.

I had to re-establish my credit rating by piggy backing on my husband's accounts and we also took out a joint car loan shortly after I arrived which gave me a start on building up my own US credit rating.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I had a somewhat rougher time (if you search under me you may find my trials and tribulations well documented) . Despite ebing added to my husband's cards, it did not report towards my US credit history. Because I ahd no history when we bought our first house I had no credit and thus we chose not to put my name on the mortgage. My husband has great credit so teh rate was better without me.

So I sought to establish credit by applying for a Target card, they turned me down flat out due to lack of credit history. I didn't want to try for too many cards because that looks bad on your credit history as well. I ended up getting a 'secured' credit card with a $300 limit which I would use each month and then pay off each month. That started the ball rolling and then a year later I was able to get a normal credit card and cancel the secured card for good. I still don;t have a particularly high limit on my CC but that is ok for now. We recen tly bought a new car and the car loan is in our joint names so that is also reporting towards my credit history as well.

I was fairly PO'd back then because my credit back in Canada was excellenet and I had a CC with a $25k limit, I was no slouch :) I was most certainly not going to have my husband co-sign for things...I felt that was too old fashioned and 1950's

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My experience was a little lucky, and this may help for some. As a canadian, you can (hopefully still, was a couple years ago) easily get a Macy's card. They accept canadians (specially in Hawaii with all the snowbirds) with canadian social insurance card. Then when I got my SS #, i had them tranfer my account to my SS# number which started credit history right away. I had that one for about 6 months, then was able to get a Visa with about a thousand limit. Now after a few years, my credit rating is close to 800. Which is great. That will help when I need to get a car here.

I would call Macys and ask them if that still applies since you can still use your canadian credit to start.

June 08 - Met online playing COV/COH

July 09 - Met in person, 3 week vacation

Dec 09 - Stayed with boyfriend for a few months visit

Sept 10 - BF visited me for one week

Feb 11 - BF visited again, Proposed, ENGAGED

March 22/11 - Mailed k-1 packet

March 29/11 - Recieved

June 22/11 RFE (more evidence of meeting)

July 12/11 sent in more goodies

July 30/11 NOA 2 approved

Aug 22/11 Packet 3 done

Oct 21/11 booked interview

Dec 7/11 Medical (no problems)

Dec 8/11 Interview in Vancouver - APPROVED!!

POE 3/12

Married April 21 2012

Timeline

I got really lucky; our mortgage broker accepted my (great) Canadian credit history at face value, while I've never had so much as a US credit card. I figure the mortgage should be good for building US credit.

Did I mention we bought a house? We bought a house. :)

I-129F / K-1 / AOS:

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview in Montreal - VISA GRANTED!

2009-11-21: POE - Moved to be with my fiancee :)

2010-01-23: Married!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

2010-04-30: Received Green Card

ROC:

2012-03-12: Sent I-751 package to VSC

2012-03-13: I-751 package arrived at VSC (Hi D. Renaud!)

2012-03-14: NOA1

2012-03-15: I-751 check cashed

2012-03-19: Received NOA1

2012-03-27: Received biometrics appt. notice for 2012-04-19 in Buffalo

2012-04-09: Successful early walk-in biometrics at Cleveland ASC

2012-12-04: I-751 APPROVED / 10 YR GC PRODUCTION ORDERED!

Naturalization:

2015-11-30: Here we go again: Filling out the N-400

2015-12-21: Sent N-400 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2015-12-23: NOA Date

2016-01-20: Biometrics in Cleveland

2016-01-25: In-line for interview

2016-01-25: Interview scheduled!

2016-01-29: Received interview letter! Scheduled for...

2016-02-29: Interview in Cleveland - APPROVED!

2016-03-18: Naturalization ceremony in Cleveland! I am a US Citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I got really lucky; our mortgage broker accepted my (great) Canadian credit history at face value, while I've never had so much as a US credit card. I figure the mortgage should be good for building US credit.

Did I mention we bought a house? We bought a house. :)

You should also mention that other mortgage brokers you spoke to were completely flabbergasted by what to do with your (Canadian) credit and offered to give us a loan based on my income/credit alone (which wasn't going to get us anywhere). Our realtor was great at helping us find a mortgage company who would work with our situation.

Edited by ScooterMac

Timeline for Spoom

2009-02-14: Engaged!

2009-11-09: Interview!! - APPROVED!!!

2009-11-21: POE

2010-01-23: WEDDING!!!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

Timeline

You should also mention that other mortgage brokers you spoke to were completely flabbergasted by what to do with your (Canadian) credit and offered to give us a loan based on my income/credit alone (which wasn't going to get us anywhere). Our realtor was great at helping us find a mortgage company who would work with our situation.

Yeah, PNC sucked in that regard (which was weird because they're awesome for personal banking). They weren't even going to count my income in the calculations because I didn't have their minimum of, I think it was four(!) US trade lines of credit. Union National has so far been great though. Hopefully that doesn't change once we're fully signed to the mortgage ;)

I-129F / K-1 / AOS:

2009-11-09: Interview in Montreal - VISA GRANTED!

2009-11-21: POE - Moved to be with my fiancee :)

2010-01-23: Married!

2010-04-30: Received Green Card

ROC:

2012-03-12: Sent I-751 package to VSC

2012-03-13: I-751 package arrived at VSC (Hi D. Renaud!)

2012-03-14: NOA1

2012-03-15: I-751 check cashed

2012-03-19: Received NOA1

2012-03-27: Received biometrics appt. notice for 2012-04-19 in Buffalo

2012-04-09: Successful early walk-in biometrics at Cleveland ASC

2012-12-04: I-751 APPROVED / 10 YR GC PRODUCTION ORDERED!

Naturalization:

2015-11-30: Here we go again: Filling out the N-400

2015-12-21: Sent N-400 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2015-12-23: NOA Date

2016-01-20: Biometrics in Cleveland

2016-01-25: In-line for interview

2016-01-25: Interview scheduled!

2016-01-29: Received interview letter! Scheduled for...

2016-02-29: Interview in Cleveland - APPROVED!

2016-03-18: Naturalization ceremony in Cleveland! I am a US Citizen!

Timeline

I was just discussing this with my fiance last night at dinner and my future step-FIL said they can import credit history from anywhere, which completely contradicts most things said here. I think he was being defensive because I said to add me to my fiance's credit card (even though I wouldn't use it)... Sigh.

Timeline

I was just discussing this with my fiance last night at dinner and my future step-FIL said they can import credit history from anywhere, which completely contradicts most things said here. I think he was being defensive because I said to add me to my fiance's credit card (even though I wouldn't use it)... Sigh.

I think the thing is that yes they can import it from anywhere, but it depends on if they are WILLING to do it and how much clout they actually put into it.

My co-worker is trying to buy a house right now and from what I'm learning from her, getting a mortgage is extremely complicated and NOTHING is for sure until it's finalized in writing and signed on the dotted line. She said every mortgage broker just tells you want you want to hear, but when it actually comes time to give you the money there are a lot of last minute things that will just "pop up" that they "forgot to mention".

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I think the thing is that yes they can import it from anywhere, but it depends on if they are WILLING to do it and how much clout they actually put into it.

My co-worker is trying to buy a house right now and from what I'm learning from her, getting a mortgage is extremely complicated and NOTHING is for sure until it's finalized in writing and signed on the dotted line. She said every mortgage broker just tells you want you want to hear, but when it actually comes time to give you the money there are a lot of last minute things that will just "pop up" that they "forgot to mention".

Yeah I figured it was better to rely on what I read here. I knew they *could* import it but the truth is I think it takes them too much time and/or money.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Yeah I figured it was better to rely on what I read here. I knew they *could* import it but the truth is I think it takes them too much time and/or money.

With the Amex Global transfer you can jump start you new US credit history. If you have had amex products since year X/Y in Canada then your new US line of credit will report "date opened X/Y". This essentially backdates your credit history.

If you currently don't have a Canadian amex, then I can only recommend that you get one such that you can perform the move when you get your US ssn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.