Foxblood

Fiance Letter of Intent

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Hello all,

I absolutely love this website! So much good information. I simple cannot thank the organizers and contributors of the site enough =)

I am just getting started applying for the K1 Visa for my Fiance. I have what may seem like a dumb question but I am attempting to be as thorough and accurate as I can be with this process. I am looking at the Fiance Letter of Intent template included in the K1 Guide on the VisaJourey website. The field for "Address of Filing Location" is confusing me? What address are they looking for? The address of where the I-129F will be processed? Somewhere else?

A second question: Is it a good idea to include my fiances Chinese Birth Certificate with my I-129f package? If so does it need to be in English? Can a Chinese passport (all pages be an acceptable replacement?

A third question: My Fiance also had a name change when she was 12 years old. As long as this is included in the documentation for the K1 process is there any other problems I should expect?

Thank you again for all the help =)

Edited by Foxblood

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The field for "Address of Filing Location" is confusing me? What address are they looking for? The address of where the I-129F will be processed? Somewhere else?

You can use the lockbox address for this field.

A second question: Is it a good idea to include my fiances Chinese Birth Certificate with my I-129f package? If so does it need to be in English? Can a Chinese passport (all pages be an acceptable replacement?

This will not be needed until her interview at the Consulate. What she will submit is a "white book" obtained from the notary office having jurisdiction where her hukou is located.

A third question: My Fiance also had a name change when she was 12 years old. As long as this is included in the documentation for the K1 process is there any other problems I should expect?

Shouldn't be a problem.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

I am just getting started applying for the K1 Visa for my Fiance. I have what may seem like a dumb question but I am attempting to be as thorough and accurate as I can be with this process. I am looking at the Fiance Letter of Intent template included in the K1 Guide on the VisaJourey website. The field for "Address of Filing Location" is confusing me? What address are they looking for? The address of where the I-129F will be processed? Somewhere else?

I didn't write any address on my letter of intent. I don't think you need it. I didn't have any problem.

thanks for this post!

iam ronzkie from the philipines and iam just wondering is it okay to send a letter of intent as scanned pictures? pls help

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Our letters of intent also had no address on them but we DID make two of them each--one typed and one handwritten--his had it written in Spanish on the upper half and the English translation on the bottom half to make sure all bases were covered (he doesn't speak English). Our interview YESTERDAY was successful so perhaps all these little details paid off.

is it okay to send a letter of intent as scanned pictures? pls help

What on earth??? A letter is a letter. Put your pen on paper and write in your very best handwriting and get it done. Then type one and hit print, too. Sign them both. So much of this has to be original documents with signatures that I can't figure out what this question is actually about.

Ronzkie, before posting any more questions, please take the time to READ over the guides and other threads. Write down your questions somewhere to look for while reading. You'll find almost all your answers before posting. After you've spend some time learning about this process, then you'll be much better prepared and way less nervous about all this.

Edited by EminTX

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

thank you so much i appreciate it..

iam sorry iam a newbie here and kinda lost and overwhelmed with lots of topics

that is really my concern sir, iam feeling so nervous as my fiance told me to write a letter signed it and send it

thru email and then he mailed it directly to uscis thats why iam a bit worried as this may cause a delay if it will then its time to wait again and re send it back thank you!

Timeline

What is done is done. You can't change what you have already sent in to them. If the USCIS worker doesn't like it, you'll get an RFE. Wait to hear back from them on that or to get the NOA2. There is nothing else immigration-wise you can be doing right now except making sure that you have evidence of an ongoing relationship. YOU will have to provide that. Save any birthday/Valentines/holiday cards, letters, envelopes of stuff that he sends to you with the postmark. (I know that lots of people gripe about that but for the cost of international postage on a card from the US being 98 cents, that is a pretty cheap and easy way to provide a little more evidence and it really doesn't take that much effort.) Go through everything and gather together tickets of things that you did together--if you have a picture of you together at that place--put them together (one of the evidences that was looked at our interview yesterday was some museum tickets with a picture of us there at that museum in a border city in Perú). There is no way to know what they will ask for so this is the time to organize and prepare.

Other than that, get a hobby, research the state you will be living in along with all the places near your new city that you can drive to in 5 hours or less, and learn about where you will be.

Good luck!

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Timeline

What is done is done. You can't change what you have already sent in to them. If the USCIS worker doesn't like it, you'll get an RFE. Wait to hear back from them on that or to get the NOA2. There is nothing else immigration-wise you can be doing right now except making sure that you have evidence of an ongoing relationship. YOU will have to provide that. Save any birthday/Valentines/holiday cards, letters, envelopes of stuff that he sends to you with the postmark. (I know that lots of people gripe about that but for the cost of international postage on a card from the US being 98 cents, that is a pretty cheap and easy way to provide a little more evidence and it really doesn't take that much effort.) Go through everything and gather together tickets of things that you did together--if you have a picture of you together at that place--put them together (one of the evidences that was looked at our interview yesterday was some museum tickets with a picture of us there at that museum in a border city in Perú). There is no way to know what they will ask for so this is the time to organize and prepare.

Other than that, get a hobby, research the state you will be living in along with all the places near your new city that you can drive to in 5 hours or less, and learn about where you will be.

Good luck!

Excellent advice =)

If you used the Cover letter for the I-294 from this site when submitting your petition you should be ok with the scanned documents. It states:

Copies of documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered documents and I understand that I may be required to submit original documents to an Immigration or Consular officer at a later date.

You will have to present original documents at the interview so make sure your Fiance gets all original documents before that time. That is what I am worried about most! What if the documents get lost in the mail or hung up in customers.

Timeline

What if the documents get lost in the mail

I am paranoid about this kind of thing, too. We made duplicates of every form and copies of things that had to be originals (example: birth certificates). I keep my own set of originals and sent him a set, also. This way, if things WERE lost, we'd have another set to fall back on. To be even extra sure, I have scanned copies of almost everything in an immigration folder/file on my computer. We have (almost) matching immigration notebooks.

I realize this is overkill in most cases, but this is something where the whim of a stranger will make a major decision about our future together and it deserves all the extra effort and attention that we can give.

Edited by EminTX

Timeline

I am paranoid about this kind of thing, too. We made duplicates of every form and copies of things that had to be originals (example: birth certificates). I keep my own set of originals and sent him a set, also. This way, if things WERE lost, we'd have another set to fall back on. To be even extra sure, I have scanned copies of almost everything in an immigration folder/file on my computer. We have (almost) matching immigration notebooks.

I realize this is overkill in most cases, but this is something where the whim of a stranger will make a major decision about our future together and it deserves all the extra effort and attention that we can give.

Not overkill if you ask me =) You are being extra careful to try and make the process go smoothly. There is already pressure when going through this process and I think having all the copies and extra documents will give you some piece of mind. I will be doing the same as you =)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I made two copies of everything that we submitted and it has really been helpful, because you find yourself going back and pulling stuff out for different applications/forms. Now that we finally have the greencard we can take a breath for awhile.

Met on line: 7-4-2007

Sent petition to Vermont Service Center on 8-11-2010

NOA1 VSC 8-27-10

NOA2 VSC 2-7-11

Interview 5-12-11

Approved 5-12-11

POE: LA/6-15-2011

Married 8-26-2011

AOS: Submitted 10-7-2011

AOS Interview: 2-23-2012 Approved

Green Card Recvd: 2-28-2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.