angela920

confused about petitioning parents to America

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

I am planning to petition my parents here to live with me in the USA. They are from the Philippines. I am petitioning one at a time since it can be expensive to do both.

My questions are:

1. Is $420 will be the only fee I would have to pay? (excluding the medical fee and interview fee in the Phil) Or I would need to submit the I-485 which cost over $1000 each?

2. My mother wants to use her single name (my maiden name) because she has issues with my dad and they do not get a long. They were never annulled nor divorced... so technically... and legally... they are still married. Can she use her single name? or no?

I read that I need to provide documentation regarding my parents... on how they became my parents.

Both of them do not have US Visa whatsoever.... they both live in the Philippines.

Please I'd appreciate all the kind answers. Thank you.

Melissa B.

Edited by melissa/martin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

1. Is $420 will be the only fee I would have to pay? (excluding the medical fee and interview fee in the Phil) Or I would need to submit the I-485 which cost over $1000 each?

Since you would be applying for IR-5, then you would have to pay $420 for I-130, $88 for AOS & $404 for IV ( Excluding the medical fee, and some other common expenses )

2. My mother wants to use her single name (my maiden name) because she has issues with my dad and they do not get a long. They were never annulled nor divorced... so technically... and legally... they are still married. Can she use her single name? or no?

Whatever she has name on her passport, then she should use that name.

I read that I need to provide documentation regarding my parents... on how they became my parents.

Yes, birth-certificate. Just read the guides, you will get more familiar for IR-5 process. Or search the post for IR-5 visa. Like this.

Hope it helps.

XrVRp5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Both of those costs are insignificant compared to the cost of medical insurance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Tell your mom that she needs to use her legal name. Switching back to her old name at this point is only going to create confusion. There is no advantage in her using her maiden name; it is only going to create confusion.

Timeline

Thank you... I am looking at your timeline. I also checked the USCIS website.

Whats so confusing me is do i need to pay for that I-485form? I read that if they are not currently in the USA then the GC will be mailed to the address indicated on the application when they get here.

Oh well... this is making my head hurts! lol i guess i will just wait for RFE whatever they need me to submit.

Timeline

Tell your mom that she needs to use her legal name. Switching back to her old name at this point is only going to create confusion. There is no advantage in her using her maiden name; it is only going to create confusion.

yes that's what I told her... She does not listen. So I guess she stays in the Philippines then. It is not like I could get my money back if it gets denied because of that.

If she uses her maiden name... How did she become my mother? she could be my sister then... lol Parents are so difficult to deal with.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you... I am looking at your timeline. I also checked the USCIS website.

Whats so confusing me is do i need to pay for that I-485form? I read that if they are not currently in the USA then the GC will be mailed to the address indicated on the application when they get here.

Oh well... this is making my head hurts! lol i guess i will just wait for RFE whatever they need me to submit.

If they are not in the U.S., DO NOT file the I-485. This is for people already in the US. See below for comments on the form.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

To start the process, fill out the I-130; the filing fee is $420. Also fill out the I-864, no fees. Once the I-130 gets approved, you then have to pay the AOS fee of $88 and the Immigrant visa fee of $404. Let me know if you have questions. Goodluck!

Timeline

If they are not in the U.S., DO NOT file the I-485. This is for people already in the US. See below for comments on the form.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

To start the process, fill out the I-130; the filing fee is $420. Also fill out the I-864, no fees. Once the I-130 gets approved, you then have to pay the AOS fee of $88 and the Immigrant visa fee of $404. Let me know if you have questions. Goodluck!

yey! thanks a lot! I was hinting it would be like that but I am not sure so i had to ask! Thank you for confirming it! It is not that bad then... I thought I would need to pay that $1000+ each.

It is not bad then. I can handle it!!! :) Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate it!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

I am planning to petition my parents here to live with me in the USA. They are from the Philippines. I am petitioning one at a time since it can be expensive to do both.

My questions are:

Both of them do not have US Visa whatsoever.... they both live in the Philippines.

Please I'd appreciate all the kind answers. Thank you.

Melissa B.

When she applies to be a US citizen she can change her name on the application at no charge. This may be a good option for her.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.